LFS sent fish home in fresh water...

ot7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse will most likely be fine. Not too sure how long it was in the water but I have fresh water dipped my clowns when they had ick a year ago. I left them in fw for 8 min and pretty much did the job cause I still have them today :).

Also when I first got into the hobby two years ago I had no idea sixline's could be extremely aggressive, (didn't really research). I got a sixline first then some clowns and then 3 damsels. 2 years later I still have him and I recently added 3 firefish a month ago and the only fish that bothered my firefish were 2 of the 3 damsel I have, so I had to remove the damsels.
Maybe damsels control the aggressiveness of a sixline? I have added about 11 fish after the sixline and never once saw it attack any of the fish, it kind of just comes to look at the newcomer and then goes back to swimming.

Although, the sixline and the damsel I left in the tank do occasionally chase each other, maybe its enough of a distraction that the sixline doesnt feel the need to bother other fish? Or maybe im just lucky :)

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line Wrasses are notorious bullies and hard to catch. Most people who put them in eventually regret doing so
not my sixline that I have now for almost 7 months with 2 fish close to his size and 1 much larger. I have had other sixlines and not one one was aggressive. In my tank no fish under 3" is catchable as I have alot of rock work. For me Damsels and most dottybacks(not orchid )and maroon,tomato clowns (have bitten me often) are aggressive long term. Exception to the rule are possible yes, but I have yet to experience a aggressive sixline in over 18 years. Just my 2 cents.

ColoReefer970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line liked to murder my clean up crew...i tried everything under the sun to catch the thing for months... one day I walk into the fish room and see someone had gone carpet surfing...from a distance I thought... oh noes! Then I recognized the wrasse and became very happy... maybe I'm terrible... maybe its lemonade...

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a six line wrasse from a store (that I’d told myself I wouldn’t buy fish from, but he was so cheap) and the employee was slammed and didn’t know saltwater fish. I went in just to pick up a few snails since my LFS was out completely.

My husband commented in the car ride home that he thought the guy used the wrong water, since it came from a bin, and the fish definitely looked super stressed out. I thought surely he must have been mistaken, but didn’t notice myself that he didn’t get water from the display. Hubs said he got the water from a big trash bin with a power head in it, but that the next customer who got a freshwater fish also got water from the same bucket. I tested the water when I got home and it was not saltwater in either bag!!! I panicked and dropped the fish immediately into my qt tank, didn’t know if it would be worse to leave it in fresh water and try and acclimate it or just get it back into salt as soon as possible. He spent about 25 minutes in fresh water. He is currently still alive, but obviously having some problems. He was sideways when he went into QT but now is upright 95% of the time, breathing heavy but just started moving around again. Is there any hope he might make it? He is a very small one, 1.5”

As for the snails, 4 seem definitely toast, 1 might survive. Margarita snails, dumped them into a different container of salt as soon as I figured out what happened. Feelers moving around on the one but veeeerrryyyy slow.

I have a receipt and kept the water so I can go back and have them refund or replace.

Anything more I can do at this point for the fish and snails? Did I screw up by not acclimating them or was that the right move? Or does it not matter, the stress will kill everyone anyways?
Honestly, there isn't much you could do but keep him from dying from stress. I'd dose prime and stress coat as both help with fishes' stress, and I'd also put some food with garlic or selacone, something to entice a fishes appetite when stressed. I wish you good luck!

Also, do you mind telling us what the name of the store was?

OP
OP
Princess Hockey

Princess Hockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, there isn't much you could do but keep him from dying from stress. I'd dose prime and stress coat as both help with fishes' stress, and I'd also put some food with garlic or selacone, something to entice a fishes appetite when stressed. I wish you good luck!

Also, do you mind telling us what the name of the store was?

A Petco, only one in my area carries saltwater. They used to have a pretty well taken care of area, big frag tank and a nice display tank. That was like 5+ years ago though, display tank is totally gone and the frag tank was replaced with a smaller one filled with mostly brown sad looking frags. I think they used to have someone knowledgeable working there but no longer. Surprisingly large array of fish they still carry, I went in intending on getting snails since my usual LFS was completely out.

Sixline still alive and kicking, and now eating. I think he's no worse for wear. Maybe he'll remember his near-death experience and be a well behaved fish ;)

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Petco, only one in my area carries saltwater. They used to have a pretty well taken care of area, big frag tank and a nice display tank. That was like 5+ years ago though, display tank is totally gone and the frag tank was replaced with a smaller one filled with mostly brown sad looking frags. I think they used to have someone knowledgeable working there but no longer. Surprisingly large array of fish they still carry, I went in intending on getting snails since my usual LFS was completely out.

Sixline still alive and kicking, and now eating. I think he's no worse for wear. Maybe he'll remember his near-death experience and be a well behaved fish ;)
Rofl, that last part. Just burn your fishes' lung to make them behave, almost like your children. beat them to make them work harder.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'd like to mention in a new tank and depending on how "fresh" any wet live rock could be a 6 line could help a LOT with pests that might even be completely unknown to you

Wrasse will be ok. A maybe on the snails. Its like a freshwater dip which will have cleaned off parasites. My wrasse happens to be Very community. Cant say ALL 6 lines are jerks. I have another in my 93 cube- also NO issue at all.
I would go back to lfs and point out what container they used for water which I cant understand why not tank water. Demand a provisional credit in the event of death.

that_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a six line wrasse in my 32 gallon BioCube mixed reef tank for over a year and a half now. It’s in there with a Nearly Naked Clown, a Grade A Davinci Clown, a Tail Spot Blenny, & a Purple Firefish. The only fish that was in the tank when I put the six line in was the Nearly Naked Clown.

My point, every other fish (non-aggressive) was added after the six line & I have never had a problem with aggression from the six line. As stated, they can be beneficial in hunting parasites, can help control bristle worms & will eat flat worms. They may display aggressive behavior against inverts during feeding time however, but I’ve never seen it to be a detriment (I have several crabs & a cleaner shrimp).

As for your LFS. I would go in & let them know what kind of ignorance they are pouring into the hobby we all love. I would never give them another dime & I would let them know that.

Also, lesson learned for yourself...never allow a fish to be pulled from one tank & be placed into water from another tank (salt or fresh). Even if it had been Saltwater (unless from the same system) you can stress a fish out severely by causing it to have to acclimate to two different water sources in the same day...ALWAYS watch when somebody is pulling a fish for you. Glad your little guy is doing better though...good luck!

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six lines are also one of the best, if not the best fish, for keeping pests in check. I have had a couple over the years without issue.

I recall one being nearly a conjoined twin with a mandarin I had. With plenty of space in a tank for each to claim their space, most fish are fine.

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sixline that was an ideal citizen for a year or so. Then turned into the meanest. Tough to catch. But he eventually decided to go into my over flow. Then he was caught easily. Then shipped out. I will NEVER have a sixline again. For pests I like Radiant wrasse very much.

OP
OP
Princess Hockey

Princess Hockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for your LFS. I would go in & let them know what kind of ignorance they are pouring into the hobby we all love. I would never give them another dime & I would let them know that.

Also, lesson learned for yourself...never allow a fish to be pulled from one tank & be placed into water from another tank (salt or fresh). Even if it had been Saltwater (unless from the same system) you can stress a fish out severely by causing it to have to acclimate to two different water sources in the same day...ALWAYS watch when somebody is pulling a fish for you. Glad your little guy is doing better though...good luck!

I did go back and talk to the manager, she said she would be re-training that guy!

And I definitely learned my lesson there, I will be watching like a hawk next time! Of all the stupid things, a guy I used to work with several years back had just walked in and started talking to me as I was having the guy get my snails (before the fish) so I was totally sidetracked and talking! Figured I'd give him his space and thought it would probably take him forever to catch the dang fish in the first place, so I was busy showing my friend pictures of my tank heh.

Stanzo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I feed my 6 line a bit less will he resort to a greater parasite consumption or would that be a bat accident waiting to happen with soft corals and crabs?

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a Petco is your only option, I'd order online. Your bound to get disease fish every time

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of why I can't trust my wife sometimes. I purchased some fish while I was at work, since that day led me to the town that had the closest LFS that I frequented. I didn't have enough time to properly acclimate them and had to head back to the office, so I dropped the fish off at my house, and instructed my wife exactly how you SHOULD do a simple water addition acclimate. I had about a hour left at work, finished up, and headed home again to see my new fishy friends. They were all dead.. I questioned the wife.. "honey, I see you added water like I asked.. I gave you a cup, what water did you use"... "water from the sink" was the reply...."honey, these are saltwater fish".... smoke coming out of wife's ears as her brain slowly understands that 'saltwater fish' also implies they need 'salt water', that does not come out of our sink... .yep.. $60 of fish, all dead..

Stanzo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of why I can't trust my wife sometimes. I purchased some fish while I was at work, since that day led me to the town that had the closest LFS that I frequented. I didn't have enough time to properly acclimate them and had to head back to the office, so I dropped the fish off at my house, and instructed my wife exactly how you SHOULD do a simple water addition acclimate. I had about a hour left at work, finished up, and headed home again to see my new fishy friends. They were all dead.. I questioned the wife.. "honey, I see you added water like I asked.. I gave you a cup, what water did you use"... "water from the sink" was the reply...."honey, these are saltwater fish".... smoke coming out of wife's ears as her brain slowly understands that 'saltwater fish' also implies they need 'salt water', that does not come out of our sink... .yep.. $60 of fish, all dead..
That sucks but I laughed so hard

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my six lines were aggressive, they were probably the happiest fish I ever had.

My clown fish is an unholy terror. Draws blood when he attacks me. He snatched a toothbrush away from me while cleaning his kingdom for his majesty.

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We relate.I used to have a large Malawi tank when I lived at home and I asked my mother to fill up water that had evaperated.What did she fill it up with not fresh water but salt ,my luck the fish tolerate salt.My mom thought because the fish are so colourful they must be marine fish

that_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I feed my 6 line a bit less will he resort to a greater parasite consumption or would that be a bat accident waiting to happen with soft corals and crabs?

Six Lines are typically constantly hunting & scavenging your rockwork for pods/bugs/careless worms/etc by their nature even with regular feedings. Also depends on what “less” means too [emoji6]

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back