Lid/Pumps/Bacteria

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am on my second week cycle. I just finished yesterday with the full week of adding stability. I am finally getting to see some bacteria startring to form. I spoke with my LFS and they said once the diatomes? If I said that correctly, are gone I can go ahead and slowly start adding a clean up crew. I need to go through and test my water. (I am going to be testing the water a couple times and bring to my LFS before I buy any fish/coral. I am buying a salinity tester this week before I put any fish in it. Should I put more sand in the tank? Should I raise the bottom filter that is on the left side of my tank because where it is sitting it keeps pulling all the sand out from that area and making it bare bottom. I do half a lot of sand left and wasn't sure if I should go ahead and add more into the tank. My LFS did say that it is better to have less sand, but I think I should go ahead and add some more. As well, I do have the top open, but should I buy a top for the tank to help with the water from evaporating as fast to try to control the salinity level better. Does anyone know a good place where I can buy some gallon jugs to have extra saltwater and some RODI water? I have been looking for like 2.5 gallon jugs with a lid, but they are like $30 for two on amazon and can't seem to find anywhere else. I am fine with doing a little bigger, but just need something with a cap to be able to close the bottles. Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a good HOB protein skimmer for a 46 gallon bow front tank? Thanks! I attached the images of my tank below.

unnamed.jpg left.jpg right.jpg

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you want to add more sand, now is a good time.

You're probably getting that bare spot because your powerhead is mounted so low. I doubt adding more sand would fix that. Most people tend to set them up a bit higher in the tank. Not many corals will do well being hit with hard, direct flow like that.

Most anything that is food-safe and designed to hold liquid for human consumption will do you fine in saltwater. I use mostly large juice jugs my wife gets from the big box store. Something like this could work
Arrow Plastic 00744 Slimline Beverage Container, 2.5-Gallon

Love your aquascape!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back