Lids - Clearview Owners: Love/Hate your lid?

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown jump out of the tank this morning. I need a lid. I don't have any fancy tools, and I can be an ape with fiddly projects, so I want a purpose built lid. I think I want a Clearview.

Anyone want to offer any their experience? Should I get the Classic, Tsunami or Exo? I like the idea of a modular design that can be changed, so I'm leaning toward the Tsunami or Exo. Is the condensation on the Tsunami enough of a pain to want to wait longer and pay more for the Exo?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown jump out of the tank this morning. I need a lid. I don't have any fancy tools, and I can be an ape with fiddly projects, so I want a purpose built lid. I think I want a Clearview.

Anyone want to offer any their experience? Should I get the Classic, Tsunami or Exo? I like the idea of a modular design that can be changed, so I'm leaning toward the Tsunami or Exo. Is the condensation on the Tsunami enough of a pain to want to wait longer and pay more for the Exo?
Mine is a classic on a Red Sea 170. It is small enough I just take it off whenever I need to. I do have the feeding door which is convenient

Jake atkinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for two years built to custom size on a 200 gallon rimless. No complaints on my end. It did it job just fine and looked very clean. Hope that helps.

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 classics on order, one for a Nuvo fusion concept 20 g aio
The other for a jbj 65 aio
Will order one for my Waterbox 100.3 getting delivered tomorrow. Probably a tsunami top

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Classics on a RSR 250 and RSR 525XL, love both of them. The Tsunami design looks very nice also. I would personally not use the Exo as I want a very clean look and the modular style would be more obvious, as well as less structurally stable when lifting it up or taking it off.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clearview EXO on my REEFER 500P. Long waiting time but its worth it. BUT please give them your measurements to avoid any surprises, instead of just going with their recommended tank sizes, if you wish to know more on what happened to mine, do visit my build thread. Cheers!

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. Nobody mentioned condensation being a problem on the Classic or Tsunami. I think I'm going to go with a Tsunami, being that it is modular and has the least lead time.

I took a look at your build thread @Saltees, so I'll definitely reconfirm my Reefer 350 dimensions with Clearview. Great tip.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D73F4A53-5BD9-4177-926C-EC520E479328.jpeg

Just received these classic lids from ClearView Lids. 56 business days. They said 52-59, so right on time. They fit perfect over these dual 60’s.
The only problem was apparently, they forgot to remove the protective film on the thin inner edge under the mesh screen, on one of them.
Pulling the spline and trying to reinsert an already stretched and cut screen was not an option, and I didn’t want to send it back to them.
I ended up very carefully, using the tip of an exacto blade between the 1/4” mesh squares to loosed it and then slowly pulled it out. All good now. 9464D4C8-6EAC-4E78-816F-15BC9F7EF121.jpeg 0C64001F-EAEB-400C-8C47-EA5C42A54884.jpeg D002000E-ED74-496A-9BFF-96DF7B1360E0.jpeg
This was the one with the plastic film still under the mesh.
3662B966-EDDE-4FD5-9872-A2CC7CD6ECC4.jpeg
1DC0F621-2594-43BD-8713-70F1494BB780.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great - I can't wait to get my Tsunami. I just found one of my Yasha white gobies on the floor beside the tank today. :( I guess my DIY 1/2" mesh top isn't fine enough for those little guys.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the hate camp. I had a high end one from the guys that take really really long on a rimless tank for a day or two. It detracted from the clean look of the tank. I didn't like how the light was transmitted through it, nor did I like the way the light reflected off of the mesh. It's in the basement under the stairs now.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. Nobody mentioned condensation being a problem on the Classic or Tsunami. I think I'm going to go with a Tsunami, being that it is modular and has the least lead time.

I took a look at your build thread @Saltees, so I'll definitely reconfirm my Reefer 350 dimensions with Clearview. Great tip.
The issue I have with the classic it’s just a lot of plastic around the edges which is cool if it’s clean and clear but the humidity builds up and makes it white and foggy which kinda sucks I would have bought there most expensive one If I knew that would have happened.
Tbh the classic is the best looking though and if your room is always warm and the climate outside doesn’t get cold buy a expo

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a three piece Pisces Exo's, i would get condensation in the corners.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d consider looking at the kraken reef lids affordable and quick to deliver and there deigns seem better

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my ClearView today and was excited to get it on the tank and remove the two layers of Lowe's bird netting.

Unfortunately, the lid didn't fit. With the center brace it is too wide front to back. Without the brace, the netting sags. I do like the look on the tank, and if fit weren't an issue, I think I'd be happy.

I contacted ClearView. We'll see how they respond. For as much as I spent, I'm expecting perfect.

With brace - no fitty
IMG_1014.jpeg

Without brace - very saggy
IMG_1017.jpeg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 3 classics, love them, they're fantastic. If you have fish that jump, especially expensive ones, a Clearview lid is a great option, maybe the best. Tip: Replace the clear plastic mesh with black plastic mesh from BRS: virtually no difference in transmitted light, but much less glare off the top of the lid.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an exo on my MaxS650. If I had it to do again I would with a food chimney added to a corner. The mesh sags a little due to the run, but the flex in mesh and frame are right. it is light enough to remove for maintenance along with 2 large doors on the sides to access pumps and algae clips.

The biggest detractor for me is communication. My lid email timeline was:
Ordered 27 May
Notified of shipment 17 Sep
Delivered 19 Sep

Today, they sent me the notification of shipment email again o_O

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back