Lifetime of Apex Temp Probe?

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My temperature readings suddenly started to be unstable in my 120 gal system. Within the span of 5 min the temp reading would vary by .5 -1 degrees. There is no way the temp is actually changing that fast. A simple digital thermometer shows as stable at 77.8-78 when the apex probe is showing a higher temp. The apex probe is not near the heater to cause such fluctuations. I'm wondering if the probe is just old, I've had it in use for around 2 years.

I have a finnex heater without its own internal temp controller, which eventually I plan to change to a heater with a temp control to act as a backup, but for now the apex is controlling the heater.

Do I possibly need to just replace the probe? Anything else I should try?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My temperature readings suddenly started to be unstable in my 120 gal system. Within the span of 5 min the temp reading would vary by .5 -1 degrees. There is no way the temp is actually changing that fast. A simple digital thermometer shows as stable at 77.8-78 when the apex probe is showing a higher temp. The apex probe is not near the heater to cause such fluctuations. I'm wondering if the probe is just old, I've had it in use for around 2 years.

I have a finnex heater without its own internal temp controller, which eventually I plan to change to a heater with a temp control to act as a backup, but for now the apex is controlling the heater.

Do I possibly need to just replace the probe? Anything else I should try?
FWIW:
I'm on my third Apex temp probe in about 5 years, and always run cheap backup digital's to cross check.

My problem has been that after I re calibrate one, the new calibration would not hold.

I'd like to buy one of these down the road.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/traceable-long-stem-calibration-thermometer.html

OP
OP
TessGlo

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to buy one of these down the road.
This is funny bc I was also thinking about getting something better to calibrate. I also just bought a backup temp controller, just so happens the neotherm temp controller is 50% off on dr. foster today ! I thought the probe was getting bit old and it's good to know your replacement schedule. Thank you

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn, not had temp issues with my apex. Some of my temp probes are more than 5 years old. Maybe check the connector to the brain for corrosion.

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, the temp probe should be a lifetime item. I have one of the original Aquacontroller Jr from way back, it's probe is still perfectly fine. That probe even works on the new one.

Whiskey

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn, not had temp issues with my apex. Some of my temp probes are more than 5 years old. Maybe check the connector to the brain for corrosion.

That’s ironic, because the temp probe on the lite I got from you died a couple weeks ago and bricked the head unit. I’m having to replace it with a new classic head unit since they don’t have parts for the lite anymore.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a couple that are ~5 years old. I run three of them in my system. l very stable.

Probably not after I hit reply on this though..,

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s ironic, because the temp probe on the lite I got from you died a couple weeks ago and bricked the head unit. I’m having to replace it with a new classic head unit since they don’t have parts for the lite anymore.

That’s a bummer. Did they say why a bad probe would kill the head unit? Further irony .... I actually regretted selling it as I ended up buying a JR to run my QT tanks.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bummer. Did they say why a bad probe would kill the head unit? Further irony .... I actually regretted selling it as I ended up buying a JR to run my QT tanks.

You want it back? It’s running just great. Ignore the post above., I was kidding

They said it was sending bad data and caused some sort of hardware malfunction. Sounds bs to me, but I’m a gene therapist and an endocrinologist, not an EE, so what do I know. A good friend of mine who is an EE said that software/data can cause hardware malfunction if something overheats, so its possible I guess

Bummed mainly because I planned to run conduit extension cords in my fishroom, and need to spend another $300 to get it finished. I’m so glad I wired with backup outlets in addition to the 2 dedicated 20amps for the eb8’s, otherwise I’d be dead in the water

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few worrisome issues with the 2016 Apex. Enough that though I still value it, I’m making sure that an apex crash cannot cause an actual tank crash. Lots of sensors and alerts, but judicious application of control.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back