Light Acclimation (Increasing)

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just borrowed a PAR meter and discovered I'm running my Radion's much lower than I should. What methods do you use to increase light over time while keeping Acropora? (e.g. 5% increase every week until you reach your desired level).

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just borrowed a PAR meter and discovered I'm running my Radion's much lower than I should. What methods do you use to increase light over time while keeping Acropora? (e.g. 5% increase every week until you reach your desired level).
Correct :)

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would set them to the target level and then put the lights in acclimation mode so you don't have to worry about it. For example , if your desired level is 20 percent higher than your current settings, set it there and have the acclimation timer start at 80 percent and increase over 4 weeks.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would set them to the target level and then put the lights in acclimation mode so you don't have to worry about it. For example , if your desired level is 20 percent higher than your current settings, set it there and have the acclimation timer start at 80 percent and increase over 4 weeks.

That's a good idea. I'll give it a shot.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Byronkyk, Can you tell me your what lights you are using, what intensity they were when you noticed they were to low, how high off the water they are and the depths and readings you received?

Radion G4 Pro's. They're running overall brightness at 40% (which puts peak at 27%). They are using the standard Radion mount rail, so I THINK about 12" off the water. I'm at work and can't verify that.

Joshua M Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. Yea 27% does seem pretty low for that size of tank. I have an IM Fusion 20 with the XR15 G4 w/ diffuser set to AB+ with 26% intensity. I am using the Radion Arm as well which puts the light approx 8" from water line. I just started to add some SPS and I was told that I would need to raise it higher than the 26% I'm running. I currently acclimating the 2 pieces of sps atm so I'm going to leave it for now. After they are in for a while I may try bumping it up a bit but if they seem happy I may just leave it where it is at. My SPS will only be about 3-4 inches under the water line so I'm not sure Ill need to raise it. I need to get a PAR meter.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. Yea 27% does seem pretty low for that size of tank. I have an IM Fusion 20 with the XR15 G4 w/ diffuser set to AB+ with 26% intensity. I am using the Radion Arm as well which puts the light approx 8" from water line. I just started to add some SPS and I was told that I would need to raise it higher than the 26% I'm running. I currently acclimating the 2 pieces of sps atm so I'm going to leave it for now. After they are in for a while I may try bumping it up a bit but if they seem happy I may just leave it where it is at. My SPS will only be about 3-4 inches under the water line so I'm not sure Ill need to raise it. I need to get a PAR meter.

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to safety increase my intensity. I'm also running the AB+ profile, so we're right in the same neighborhood.

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I don't fully rely on a meter reading. If your tank keeps high alk and low nutrients, high intensity LED would be a killer for your SPS. I keep quite low light intensity because my PO4 is 0 (perhaps slightly more than 0, but always 0 on my Hanna) and Alk is not very low like slightly lower than 9, plus I have my tank in a very bright living room full of sun light coming from the big window at the south. In the room, my family occasionally spend time till very late at night giving more light exposure to the tank. If I use the same intensity as many do, my corals get quite pale and die eventually. So I suggest you take those parameters, environment, and lighting period into account.

Yas

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back