Lighting choice and SPS

Littlebigaj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a new 2x2x2 SPS dominate cube. I keep a lot of my LE's in this new tank and currently I'm running a 1x250 20k halide over the system in a lumenarc reflector, driven by a new icecap ballast.

I also have (lying around and not being used) a 24" 4x24" tek light with individual reflectors. 2 blue, 1 purple and one white bulb.

Which would be good to use for this tank? I've seen a lot of great sps coloration and growth under T5 fixtures, but I'm thinking that the T5 may be a little underpowered for this tank. Maybe I could run a little longer lighting cycle?

Any thoughts on this please as I want to pick one or the other and stick with it.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not a T5 fan for keeping sps,I ran a 6x24w ATI Powermodule over my 24x24x20 untrue cube and was not happy with the look at all after running nothing but MH's in the past.I like a natural look to my tank and T5's IMO dont give you that.I would either stick with the MH or think about LED's.I run nothing but LED's on my tank and it is sps dominated.I will post some pics if you want.;)

OP
OP
Littlebigaj

Littlebigaj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always run MHs too, however I do not mind the look of the T5s. I took this T5 fixture in on trade a while ago and thought that maybe I'd put it to use. I guess my question leans more towards, would the 4x24s of the tek light be enough to get decent growth from a sps tank this size?

And of course I want pics!

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
4 bulbs would be bare minimum, and you'd need to keep SPS up higher and centered under the light. I would stick with the MH personally.

However, I have recently changed to T5s, and am loving the look. I'd always ran MH before (3 other tanks over 8 years).

I really thought I'd miss the shimmer, but I love color. I really am happy with the transition so far.

HTH,
Ronnie

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And of course I want pics![/QUOTE]
LEDMOUNT4.jpg

LEDMOUNT2.jpg

REEFBRITEPINKFAME.jpg

REEFBRITEUTTERC.jpg

SC Pink Fame and SC Utter Chaos

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back