Lighting for 60g cube

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently purchased a 60 cube 24x24x24 and have researched to see which lighting would be best and have the most coverage. Also asked some members for experience and suggestions, but I cannot seem to come to a conclusion as it seems like its more so personal preference and future plans of coral.

Would like to know from personal experience what you would recommend (60g cube owners is a plus!)? Plan to be keeping softies/LPS and maybe SPS (not much experience yet) :(

Options in mind:
Radion XR30W G4 non-PRO/PRO
Radion XR15W G4 non-PRO/PRO
Hydra 52 HD
Hydra 26 HD
Kessil AP700 - maybe too overkill
Other recommendations?

Currently I also have on hand (2) Rapid LED Onyx fixtures dimmable via my Apex but not sure if I would like to use these or not.

TIA!

Abeal17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AI Prime HD on my IM 25 which is 12 inches deep, and I have LPS and softies. So I think an AI Hydra 26 would be great, maybe a little under powered for a mix reef. But for LPS and softies it'd be just right.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60g cube and tried a Kessil A360 which I wasn't happy with. It didnt provide enough coverage or penetration on a tank that deep.

I switched to a 6 bulb T5 unit that I'm much happier with. I added 2 reefbrite actinic blue strips for more pop and I think it looks really good. More importantly the coral are growing much faster and zoas on the bottom are no longer stretching.

My advice would be looking into the Aquatic Life hybrid with a LED like a XR30 or a Hydra FiftyTwo. Or go with what I'm running, a 6 or 8 bulb T5 with a LED strip.

OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have one of these (but the 45" version) on my 90. No noise; no fans. Easy to program with your phone. Built to last.

https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-ultra-reef-lights/43-108-ultra-22.html

Interesting...will do some research on these lights. Thanks! Any pictures of your tank with these lights?

I have an AI Prime HD on my IM 25 which is 12 inches deep, and I have LPS and softies. So I think an AI Hydra 26 would be great, maybe a little under powered for a mix reef. But for LPS and softies it'd be just right.

I was thinking that as well since I dont plan on having expert level SPS. Would you go Hydra 26 or Radion XR15W if you had to choose? Or eat cuponoodles for a week and get the 52 or XR30W? :D

I have a 60g cube and tried a Kessil A360 which I wasn't happy with. It didnt provide enough coverage or penetration on a tank that deep.

I switched to a 6 bulb T5 unit that I'm much happier with. I added 2 reefbrite actinic blue strips for more pop and I think it looks really good. More importantly the coral are growing much faster and zoas on the bottom are no longer stretching.

My advice would be looking into the Aquatic Life hybrid with a LED like a XR30 or a Hydra FiftyTwo. Or go with what I'm running, a 6 or 8 bulb T5 with a LED strip.

A lot of articles and experience from reefers with T5s that I have read with great results. Hybrids seem to be the go to for growth and to get rid of shadowing. Is there a company that has a sleek hybrid fixture?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-AI 52 HD’s are working well for me
FE4FCDDA-76AC-4143-A349-4AFFCA0597B3.jpeg
DA427F3B-8B81-4DA1-9F57-E1B63E052F40.jpeg
BE4ECB02-B23E-49CF-B1AA-86AC5C1C42E0.jpeg
1D13BF6A-1552-4372-8F0A-90012D91287E.jpeg

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry im asking a buttload of questions...do you think 2 Hydra 52s are overkill if I plan to do softies/LPS and some SPS on top?
Not over kill if you adjust the intensity accordingly. I have a mixed reef with 40+ acros. I have a feeling once you buy your first acros, you’ll want to buy a 2nd and then a 3rd and so on. A happy medium would be 2-26 HD’s, but I love my 2-52s. I don’t have to worry about not having enough light. Until I convince my wife I need a bigger tank.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mount them 15” or more to reduce hot spotting. I just noticed you have 2 rapid leds. Those should work fine according to their specs.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a 60 rimless cube. I'm still struggling to like my lighting.

Originally I had the contents of this tank in a smaller 37g(?) cube and had a gen1 Radion. The growth and color were both good but I ended up with some shadowing. I then moved into the 60g cube and had a 24" 8-bulb ATI. My growth was awesome but I didn't like the flat look and I wasn't thrilled about replacing the bulbs again so I switched. I went with an AP700 and proceeded to burn several corals including one large acro. I like the shimmer but overall I don't think it's the right answer for my tank. I think I might try a Hydra52HD but I'm going to let the AP700 ride a few more months before I make that call. What I know I would like is a 250w Radium on an M-80 but I don't want to risk needing a chiller (I actually have an extra but the whole point in this tank was simplicity). I'm not sure if my ramblings will help you but that's where I'm at.

-Ed

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 rimless 24x24x24 I use one Radion xr30 gen3 pro with wide angle Lens
Does good job this tank has lps some hammers an frog Spawn and a couple bubble tip anemones running at 40% ab program
Make that 45% forgot I bumped it up little last week
Tried it with a diffuser but didn’t like the washed out look so took it off

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigdeeezyyyy

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mount them 15” or more to reduce hot spotting. I just noticed you have 2 rapid leds. Those should work fine according to their specs.

i may try out the 2 rapid LEDs first to see how they are first

I have a 60 rimless cube. I'm still struggling to like my lighting.

Originally I had the contents of this tank in a smaller 37g(?) cube and had a gen1 Radion. The growth and color were both good but I ended up with some shadowing. I then moved into the 60g cube and had a 24" 8-bulb ATI. My growth was awesome but I didn't like the flat look and I wasn't thrilled about replacing the bulbs again so I switched. I went with an AP700 and proceeded to burn several corals including one large acro. I like the shimmer but overall I don't think it's the right answer for my tank. I think I might try a Hydra52HD but I'm going to let the AP700 ride a few more months before I make that call. What I know I would like is a 250w Radium on an M-80 but I don't want to risk needing a chiller (I actually have an extra but the whole point in this tank was simplicity). I'm not sure if my ramblings will help you but that's where I'm at.

-Ed

This is great experienced information for me! Thanks!

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 24 inch 8 bulb for more variety in bulbs :) I have one for sale pretty soon if interested

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Hydra 26s would work, or 2 52s. I had 1 hydra 26HD over my 60 cube and the power was enough, but coverage wasn't ideal given my rock work. I switched to a 24" T5, 8 bulb (overkill), as I got a good deal on it. I also toyed with the settings on the hydras too much.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back