Lighting for 75 gallon mixed reef

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a standard 75(48x18.5x21) with a center-brace. I am buying all of my lighting used and currently have 2 ai primes. I have been keeping my eyes peeled for another good ai prime deal, however i was just offered a hydra 26 for 175. Tank will be primarily montis, mushrooms, and gorgonians. Maybe some other easy sps.

1. If i were to space out the lights prime-hydra-prime with the hydra centered over the brace am i losing out on too much par? If the 26 wouldnt cut it would a 32?
2. Should i just stick with finding another pair of primes?
3. Ive also considered trying to trade the 2 primes for 1 32 but living in the montana wilderness there isnt much of any sort of local reefing club.

All advice is welcome!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do the two primes and the hydra. If you would rather do 4 primes, you might be able to find some people on here selling them. The 4 primes spaced out will have the best spread. The other benefit of the other primes is that hydra lights are meant to be mounted a bit higher than the primes to get the best spread. However, there are ways to work around this given that a hydra is basically two primes.

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do the two primes and the hydra. If you would rather do 4 primes, you might be able to find some people on here selling them. The 4 primes spaced out will have the best spread. The other benefit of the other primes is that hydra lights are meant to be mounted a bit higher than the primes to get the best spread. However, there are ways to work around this given that a hydra is basically two primes.
Sorta just comes down to a cost thing. Id definitely rather do 4 primes but i might be hard pressed to find someone selling 2 primes for 175! I got my 2 primes for 125 each. I figure i could drop another 250 max on lighting.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorta just comes down to a cost thing. Id definitely rather do 4 primes but i might be hard pressed to find someone selling 2 primes for 175! I got my 2 primes for 125 each. I figure i could drop another 250 max on lighting.
the hydra 26 is a pretty old light, if it was run constantly until now $175 probably is about right as the par output would drop a lot. Dont run a light over the center brace, it wouldnt work well

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hydra 26 is a pretty old light, if it was run constantly until now $175 probably is about right as the par output would drop a lot. Dont run a light over the center brace, it wouldnt work well
Yea, thats what i was worried about! Looks like ill just be on the lookout for a pair of primes unless i am able to find a 32 for 250 which might be asking a lot!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on the budget there is also the option of 2 primes plus 2 smatfarms leds to add par. Or 2 primes and 2 reef bars like orphek or quantareef

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, ill look into the quantareefs, price is right. Thank you! Probably 1 tropic sun and either the wide spectrum blue of og blue. Ill have to ask around on that me thinks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, thats what i was worried about! Looks like ill just be on the lookout for a pair of primes unless i am able to find a 32 for 250 which might be asking a lot!

Ah I was thinking that these were the old ai prime hd's. Are they the 16's?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a standard 75(48x18.5x21) with a center-brace. I am buying all of my lighting used and currently have 2 ai primes. I have been keeping my eyes peeled for another good ai prime deal, however i was just offered a hydra 26 for 175. Tank will be primarily montis, mushrooms, and gorgonians. Maybe some other easy sps.

1. If i were to space out the lights prime-hydra-prime with the hydra centered over the brace am i losing out on too much par? If the 26 wouldnt cut it would a 32?
2. Should i just stick with finding another pair of primes?
3. Ive also considered trying to trade the 2 primes for 1 32 but living in the montana wilderness there isnt much of any sort of local reefing club.

All advice is welcome!
Reefbreeders?

Attachments

• 20220513_154622.jpg
    20220513_154622.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 31

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime 16's aren't much light for a 75 gal Mixed reef.

I have a pair of Hydra 64's and am planning on adding another to minimise shadowing.

A pair of Hydra 52's would work.

OP
OP
bigbugoutfitters

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime 16's aren't much light for a 75 gal Mixed reef.

I have a pair of Hydra 64's and am planning on adding another to minimise shadowing.

A pair of Hydra 52's would work.

I definitely like the AI, and if I was still a bachelor, and didn't have a 4 month old all while putting together an top notch outfitting operation i'd probably spring for a few 64s :D I figure I will stick for the two primes, add on a pair of 4 foot quantareefs and if i want to upgrade eventually id add on 2 more 16s!

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely like the AI, and if I was still a bachelor, and didn't have a 4 month old all while putting together an top notch outfitting operation i'd probably spring for a few 64s :D I figure I will stick for the two primes, add on a pair of 4 foot quantareefs and if i want to upgrade eventually id add on 2 more 16s!
Look into Luxdium replacement pucks for your AI. I will be replacing my 26HD's with their pucks when the originals go out. And i will also add some Quantas to my setup as well.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back