Lighting for a 100g tank

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that makes sense, could i get a 8 bulb and get like one LED strip for more blue or would hybrid just be the best ?
IMO hybrid is the absolute best. You get both worlds. Was just telling a fellow reefer yesterday about how much I’m so happy I converted to hybrid and that my sps didn’t start to grow till 1 month or so after I set it up. Honestly I will never run another system without working hybrid lighting into it somehow. I wish I had pics to show you 6-8 months no growth with 1800$ g5 lights then 1 month after adding t5s acros took off. My rainbow splice has doubled in size last 2 months couple thousand dollars worth of growth in 1 coral alone :)

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO hybrid is the absolute best. You get both worlds. Was just telling a fellow reefer yesterday about how much I’m so happy I converted to hybrid and that my sps didn’t start to grow till 1 month or so after I set it up. Honestly I will never run another system without working hybrid lighting into it somehow. I wish I had pics to show you 6-8 months no growth with 1800$ g5 lights then 1 month after adding t5s acros took off. My rainbow splice has doubled in size last 2 months couple thousand dollars worth of growth in 1 coral alone :)
so if i go for a hybrid system, how many bulbs, what LEDs, and what kind of t5 bulbs ? my tank is 4 ft long, 16 inches in height

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if i go for a hybrid system, how many bulbs, what LEDs, and what kind of t5 bulbs ? my tank is 4 ft long, 16 inches in height
Lol well that’s a million dollar question. All I can tell you is what I use and the results I have seen. And maybe what I would have used other wise.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did not have canopy I would run one of these with 2 g5 x30 radions with the reflectors over the lens

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with 2 of these and 2 g5 x30s but had to fabricate the whole thing to fit it under my canopy but end result was same for me.

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did not have canopy I would run one of these with 2 g5 x30 radions with the reflectors over the lens
dang that would be a lot lol, looking back to what i was told and doing some research would the 8 bulb do exactly what the LEDs would do, minus the more blue color ?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang that would be a lot lol, looking back to what i was told and doing some research would the 8 bulb do exactly what the LEDs would do, minus the more blue color ?
It would be roughly $2500 just for the hybrid lighting system with 2G fives and the T fives after taxes

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind when doing t5’s you’ll be paying for changing bulbs fairly often. I though about t5’s for my 100g upgrade but it would be like $800-900 upfront and $150 ish a year to change out the bulbs.

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind when doing t5’s you’ll be paying for changing bulbs fairly often. I though about t5’s for my 100g upgrade but it would be like $800-900 upfront and $150 ish a year to change out the bulbs.
do you know how long they last ?

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you would never be able to say that your lights are not good ha ha:)
haha you would have yourself an expensive light setup. I want to get my son a little tank prolly with the dimensions of
( 23.6"×19.7"×19.7" ) a bigger cube but for wall to wall sps for that would (1) XR30 do the job or you might as well go all t5s ? unless i got hybrid with (1) ai hydra 32HD or the xr15 ?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the dimmable option.

T5's aren't meant to be dimmed. When you dim them you cut the life expectancy, BRS did a vid on it.

If you want just a normal mixed reef 36" Is fine with 2 Hydra's placed at 12 Inches in from edge of tank each.

This isn't to scale but something like this. ignore 46 inches meant 48 it's a typo lol.

Lighting layout.png

if you're going wall to wall sps, you're gonna be spending al ot of money anyway..... so get the 48" and a high end LED.

If you're gonna stick with just T5's for money then go 48", 36" might be enough if you're not going wall to wall sps.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the dimmable option.

T5's aren't meant to be dimmed. When you dim them you cut the life expectancy, BRS did a vid on it.

If you want just a normal mixed reef 36" Is fine with 2 Hydra's placed at 12 Inches in from edge of tank each.

This isn't to scale but something like this. ignore 46 inches meant 48 it's a typo lol.

Lighting layout.png

if you're going wall to wall sps, you're gonna be spending al ot of money anyway..... so get the 48" and a high end LED.

If you're gonna stick with just T5's for money then go 48", 36" might be enough if you're not going wall to wall sps.

I went dimmable because I have about 10,000$ worth of corals in this tank and felt it was a very bad idea to go from led and then just turn on t5 full blast out of no where. In my head the amount of damage it could cause is not worth 150$ in bulbs. Now I could have lowed leds and turned on t5s and then over weeks brought the leds back up to where I had them but then again that would be just like switching lights which again causes problems if you have ever switch from one light type to another then you know what I’m talking about. Also think about it in a year when I switch out t5s there could again potentially be a light shock to corals due to new bulbs having much more par then the year old bulbs. Again I will do a few week ramp up to 100% t5s and never have to worrie about it. What I have in my tank is worth much more then damaging 150$ worth of bulbs dimming them for couple weeks. It’s all about control my brother and I’m a control freak :)

capt.dave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love my aquatic life T5 hybrid with Kessels. Great shimmer and great coverage with T5s.

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went dimmable because I have about 10,000$ worth of corals in this tank and felt it was a very bad idea to go from led and then just turn on t5 full blast out of no where. In my head the amount of damage it could cause is not worth 150$ in bulbs. Now I could have lowed leds and turned on t5s and then over weeks brought the leds back up to where I had them but then again that would be just like switching lights which again causes problems if you have ever switch from one light type to another then you know what I’m talking about. Also think about it in a year when I switch out t5s there could again potentially be a light shock to corals due to new bulbs having much more par then the year old bulbs. Again I will do a few week ramp up to 100% t5s and never have to worrie about it. What I have in my tank is worth much more then damaging 150$ worth of bulbs dimming them for couple weeks. It’s all about control my brother and I’m a control freak :)
I just got done watching a BRS video, and they said that dimming isn't going to make the t5s lose life faster which is good to hear. But with your t5's, do you do a 0-100% for 4 hours, than a 100-0% for 4 hours or what is the best lighting schedule for that good ol' wall to wall sps.

Also I am still pretty worried about the 8 bulb being to much for my 16' depth, I have asked around and they said it shouldn't be a problem, but I am a person who will worry about anything haha. I do like the dimming option for the t5s because it give it that sun rise, sun down effect. But tbh, would just turning them on full blast be bad for the corals or is the whole dimming thing a preference ?

Lastly, would you say changing t5s every year ( about $200 /yr ) is around the same price overtime to high end LEDs ? Most people claim that LED's last around 10 - 13 years.

I really do appreciate you for helping me with all the questions I am bombarding you with, really means a lot. I'm always trying to find the BEST options, and to find the right way to do things. I may have more questions after this, such as flow for the tank, skimmer, and good filtration to run for my sump. But I would probably start a conversation with you if you wouldn't mind, unless you want to say it here maybe for others wondering the same thing as me.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
t5 bulbs can add expense.. You can also do an LED x LED hybrid..

As suggested above, I am getting great growth with a t5 Kessil hybrid..

You can get the Aquatic life 4 bulb and a pair of Kessil 160's for the height of your tank, this should do you well.

was kind of trying to tell you that earlier.. AN option, if you want to avoid the expense of the bulbs is a Kessil x ReefBright combo.. it is all LED but will give you longer lasting life of all LED along with the coverage of a t5 using the Reef Brights..

I would not put an 8 bulb over your tank. I would go max 6 bulb and you dont have to have dimming.. On/Off works.. its proven for years to work fine with SPS. Additionally, you can go with all LED Reefbright stips that act much like t5... and you can get a combo of lights that allow for something other than all blue..

Look around at these combos.. in the end will be more cost effective than an all t5 fixture.

One thing I might mention is that for the REEFBRIGHAT, you can start with 2 strips and add more later..

Last edited:
OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
t5 bulbs can add expense.. You can also do an LED x LED hybrid..

As suggested above, I am getting great growth with a t5 Kessil hybrid..

You can get the Aquatic life 4 bulb and a pair of Kessil 160's for the height of your tank, this should do you well.

was kind of trying to tell you that earlier.. AN option, if you want to avoid the expense of the bulbs is a Kessil x ReefBright combo.. it is all LED but will give you longer lasting life of all LED along with the coverage of a t5 using the Reef Brights..

I would not put an 8 bulb over your tank. I would go max 6 bulb and you dont have to have dimming.. On/Off works.. its proven for years to work fine with SPS. Additionally, you can go with all LED Reefbright stips that act much like t5... and you can get a combo of lights that allow for something other than all blue..

Look around at these combos.. in the end will be more cost effective than an all t5 fixture.

One thing I might mention is that for the REEFBRIGHAT, you can start with 2 strips and add more later..
Thank you for your help, yeah im pretty sure you told me about this setup before haha but I just didnt want a hybrid tbh because rn that would extend my budget even more than i had it. I do like t5 lighting, just with my tank only being 16” in height spikes issues for being to much light for my wall to wall sps. BRS recommends 9 in. from the water level measured with a 24 height but when talking to BRS over email he said “I would still recommend the 8 bulb but raise it higher 2-4 inches, than measure with a par meter”
Par meters are out of the picture due to my budget, they arent cheap haha.

Now if i was go get a 4 bulb hybrid, whats the best LEDs to run for sps growth ? and how many LEDs ?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help, yeah im pretty sure you told me about this setup before haha but I just didnt want a hybrid tbh because rn that would extend my budget even more than i had it. I do like t5 lighting, just with my tank only being 16” in height spikes issues for being to much light for my wall to wall sps. BRS recommends 9 in. from the water level measured with a 24 height but when talking to BRS over email he said “I would still recommend the 8 bulb but raise it higher 2-4 inches, than measure with a par meter”
Par meters are out of the picture due to my budget, they arent cheap haha.

Now if i was go get a 4 bulb hybrid, whats the best LEDs to run for sps growth ? and how many LEDs ?

You're going to just have to raise the height.

Getting EXACT par is not necessary for a successful reef.

Get your tank set up, lights mounted and then worry about the height and PAR later.

I'd hang 8 t5 bulbs over 16" about 10-12" from the water.

Once you start adding coral you can adjust the height as needed, just make sure you hang it so you can adjust it.

Start with some softies and see how they react to the light, make adjustments accordingly. I'm sure you can get a cheap easy SPS Frag also for 25-30 to start testing SPS

Sudden light and darkness may cause "some shock" but thousands of reefers do it with 0 issues.... I think your corals will eventually adjust to the instant dark and black, but if you want you can always go dimmable to ramp up.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back