Lighting for a 90ish corner

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm transporting my dad's tank to my house next week. In the process I plan to upgrade/modernize some things. I'll likely reduce the amount of live rock by a little bit. I've already spent 400ish on a sump, 200 on a nautilus dc return pump, 80lbs of live sand, will need to buy a small fuge light and possibly some gyres. This wasn't a planned thing so I've already spent a fair amount that I didn't plan on.

I'd like to replace the light (s) as well. There's a second smaller LED behind the one in the front for reference. I'm really not keen on hanging them like that; I'd like something a little cleaner. I'd like to do this without spending a substantial amount of money IE not looking to add xr30 g6's or the like. Would noopsyke k3 pro's be sufficient? I'm not very familiar with them but have seen them tossed around as the best of the budget LED's out right now. I'm open to suggestions; it's an awkward tank to light. I have reefi uno pro 2.0's on my 120g but wasn't looking to drop a grand on this.

It looks like mostly soft corals in the tank right now. I'd imagine it's going to end up predominantly softy/lps but would be nice to have some sps higher up.

IMG_5553.jpg

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*bump*

There's not a ton of recommendations around when I search for this size and configuration of tank. I've seen some who run 2 Kessil A360's but then I read into the Kessils and it seems like people recommend 2x what you think you need. I've also seen reefbreeders photon v2 but I'm just not sure how well the front to back coverage would be at 34" from back corner to front midpoint of bow. I'm open to used equipment if need be. Mentioned the noopsyches as they're about 182 a piece but I have no personal experience with them or how many would be needed.

For reference, I tentatively intend to build the rockwork in a mound shape with the highest rock height towards the back corner. I'm thinking depending on the style of light it's going to take least 2-3 fixtures for full coverage.

Open to ideas

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I have these. Used less then a month and then stored as I bought LED's. (Can show proof of purchase).

$250.00 you pay shipping from Calif. I can throw in a whole new set of T5's.

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good light great price.
Thanks! Think 1 will do it or would it take two? It's such an awkward shape to work with for coverage. The front corners are 48" apart, sides are 34", midpoint at front glass to back corner is 34". I'm trying to mentally think where the best placement would even be.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Think 1 will do it or would it take two? It's such an awkward shape to work with for coverage. The front corners are 48" apart, sides are 34", midpoint at front glass to back corner is 34". I'm trying to mentally think where the best placement would even be.
best placement is in middle.....if you have the cash flow, buy 2.....or buy the diy T5 add-on

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best placement is in middle.....if you have the cash flow, buy 2.....or buy the diy T5 add-on
Thanks! Looks like it's out of stock at Coralvue. I'll have to dig around and see if there are any units anywhere else.

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FUNGI
I was looking for maxspect reviews and saw a post where you grabbed the 300w. Still using it and how do you like it? Any difficulties with certain types of coral or pretty much does an all around job all the way up to demanding SPS?

They have the 300w in stock for $600. It's obviously too big for the 90 corner at 48 inches but I could likely swap the 300w for the two reefi uno 2.0's on my 120 and place the maxpect on the 120g (48"x24").

Although I see they don't have the uno mounting arms in stock...

Did the maxspect come with mounting legs?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back