Lighting for acrylic reef tank with peaceful fish 120 gallons

sky414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am super new to Reef2Reef and to saltwater aquariums. I am thinking about getting an 120 gallon custom acrylic tank and I need to decide on lighting so the builder can know what clamps or other things he needs. the tank is going to be 60"L x 24" W x20" H. I want a few peaceful fish and mostly soft coral. He suggested:

1) two XR30 lights; or
2) four Kessil A360 lights; or
3) Hyrda 64 lights.

As you guys know, this is an expensive hobby and I don't want to make a decision about lights then change my mind in 3 months, so pros and cons of the above or other suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some extremely expensive but nice options you have listed mate, I must say! :) I wouldn't really go with any of them if you're planning on soft corals only. It may be worth looking at a couple of AI blades in stead if you want something low profile and with the same controllability as the Hydra / Radion.

But you can find plenty of cheaper options for sure, browse around a bit and you will see! Most decent "reef spec" lights will grow your soft corals just fine! :)

If you want to have the ability to care for other types of coral later on, and you know it now then you can maybe consider the more expensive options that you list.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back