Lighting for coral and fish

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am on day #5 of cycling my 37 gallon saltwater tank. The LFS told me that the Fluval Sea Marine & Life LED light is good for coral and fish. I can’t seem to find any relevant reviews for this particular light. I‘m hoping someone can provide me with advice. My goal is to have zoanthids, frogspawno, hammers, green star polyps, duncans, and eventually acroporas. Thanks!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank! Your lighting is a big topic with lots of facets. I've included a link to the lighting forum below it'll help with some of the more detailed research. To answer your question about whether the Fluval is good for coral and fish. In my opinion is "yes", it'll do the job you want it to for the livestock you're thinking of keeping., BUT I would recommend looking at other lighting options as well, spending a bit more money on a higher quality LED and/or T5 fixture will give you healthier corals, better viewing and hopefully coral growth (good light being one of the core contributors to these factors). I think you'll find over time that you'll want more control over lighting intensity, colors (R, G, B) and flexibility to adjust lighting schedules, not to mention more POP when viewing.

Two brands of light I suggest starting your research are the AI Hydra or the Ecotech. If you look more into the lighting forum you'll find a few threads talking about different brands.

I've owned two marine Fluval lights, one still sits over my refugium. I'm currently running two Ecotech XR30 Gen4, Orphek OR3 120 and 90 light bars (not saying you need to go this route this is just my preference)

A couple of examples of higher-end LED lighting (the blue can be pretty overpowering):
IMG-2146.jpg
IMG-2009.JPG

OP
OP
NCMamacita

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank! Your lighting is a big topic with lots of facets. I've included a link to the lighting forum below it'll help with some of the more detailed research. To answer your question about whether the Fluval is good for coral and fish. In my opinion is "yes", it'll do the job you want it to for the livestock you're thinking of keeping., BUT I would recommend looking at other lighting options as well, spending a bit more money on a higher quality LED and/or T5 fixture will give you healthier corals, better viewing and hopefully coral growth (good light being one of the core contributors to these factors). I think you'll find over time that you'll want more control over lighting intensity, colors (R, G, B) and flexibility to adjust lighting schedules, not to mention more POP when viewing.

Two brands of light I suggest starting your research are the AI Hydra or the Ecotech. If you look more into the lighting forum you'll find a few threads talking about different brands.

I've owned two marine Fluval lights, one still sits over my refugium. I'm currently running two Ecotech XR30 Gen4, Orphek OR3 120 and 90 light bars (not saying you need to go this route this is just my preference)

A couple of examples of higher-end LED lighting (the blue can be pretty overpowering):
IMG-2146.jpg
IMG-2009.JPG
Thank you so much for your feedback. I’ll definitely take a look at the link you provided. I really want to start this in the best way possible for the coral and fish.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval Marine is not a strong light but its a great entry light and has controllability through blue tooth. I would do T5s personally.

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish will be fine with a flashlight or cell phone lighting. Corals are a bit more tricky. I think the reef breeders are a good compromise price/quality.
I met someone growing amazing corals under black box amazon LEDs.

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to never worry about lighting again. Then you'll want to get it right the first time. I would recommend Radion G5s. 2nd to none.
I have 3 XR30 over my 180 and would NOT recommend them to a beginner. Overkill and might do more harm than good. I spent 8 years with blackbox LED, switching over is not proving easy. I dont think OP wants to play with a PAR meter...

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 XR30 over my 180 and would NOT recommend them to a beginner. Overkill and might do more harm than good. I spent 8 years with blackbox LED, switching over is not proving easy. I dont think OP wants to play with a PAR meter...
I have to ask, how does a black box eliminate the need for a par meter? It doesn't matter the fixture you choose, unless you use a par meter youre simply guessing.

Although you might be mistaken par with spectrum, which radion does provide the user with overwhelming options, mobius provides templates with preset spectrums that remove that confusion and anxiety.

Sure OP can get a black box, but eventually will want to upgrade. The path I suggest doesn't require upgrade in the future and disrupt your then established tank which can cause a number of problems.

If you can create stability early on and not change it, you'll have better long term success.

ThePickeledReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK if that was a recommendation of the black box, more of a commit learning the hobby. While we all would ultimately save money and frustration buying our dream gear first, progression is also part of it. Additionally while lighting should be large part of tank budget the $850 price tag could be double what has been spent on whole system, Louboutin heals with target pants. AI Prime or Kessil A 160 maybe options, scalable and resealable.

OP
OP
NCMamacita

NCMamacita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK if that was a recommendation of the black box, more of a commit learning the hobby. While we all would ultimately save money and frustration buying our dream gear first, progression is also part of it. Additionally while lighting should be large part of tank budget the $850 price tag could be double what has been spent on whole system, Louboutin heals with target pants. AI Prime or Kessil A 160 maybe options, scalable and resealable.
Yes, I’ve decided to go with the AI Prime. I chatted with Bulk Reef Supply, and this is what they recommended. Thanks for your feedback!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back