Lighting my 60 Frag tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Biglurr54
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Biglurr54

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 28, 2017
Messages
986
Reaction score
432
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have to reconfigure my basement sump area to include a 60 frag tank. The current 18x18 frag section of my sump is completely full and i need more roof. My display has a 400w halide and powerful rb/uv led supplement bars. Everything is well cooked in the display. The frag system is a 60gallon frag tank (48x24x13H). I have a Xr15 G4 Pro, A360, 2 150w halides, and a couple of crap black boxes. 1/2 the tank will be a grow out section for duplicate colonies from the display, the other half will be a frag area for healing frags.

What would be the best lighting set up for this tank.
1. Reefbeeders photon V2 48" ($600)
2. 3 Kessil A360s with two 54w ATI Blue Plus T5s. ($650)
3. 3 XR15 G4 Pros with two 54w ATI Blue Plus T5s. ($700)
4. 2 150w Halides with DIY LED supplement bars. (I have yet to find a good bulb) ($250)
4. 2 250w halides with DIY LED Supplement bars. (Radium Bulbs) ($500)

I am mainly looking for good color and health. I would like to be able to utilize the entire tank foot print for SPS.
 
What about a kessil reef brite hybrid? BRS said that performed even better than the kessil t5 hybrid (they used a360x I think).

Regardless, any of those options will work. I prefer LED for energy and longevity purposes.
 
I prefer old school methods. Tried and true! But heat always become a problem. If heat and electricity was not a concern, I would do 2 250w halides. I'm not a huge fan of reef brites that's why I built my own suppliment bars. I feel that led are coming along way but they do miss certain spots that t5 or halide hit.

They only all left option is the reefbreeders. And I'm sure I would end up adding t5 later on down the road!

I also like being able to take pics with out filters and get accurate renditions. Here's some of the display with no filters.
PXL_20201114_001000789.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20201114_000832183.NIGHT.jpg


Here's the best I could do with filters on the frag section with the xr15.
PXL_20201113_232542310.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new