Lighting Recommendations for WB 25 Peninsula

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of upgrading my tank and naturally I’m exploring upgrading my lights. The lights are going to be suspended from a canopy which is attached by and arm that is screwed to the back of my stand. The plan is to have an SPS Dominated tank with a zoa garden. Tank is is 24x15.5x15

Here are my current options:
-3 AI Primes (Currently running 2)
-1 ReefBreeder Photon V2 16 (maybe 24)
-Aquatic life hybrid w/ 2 primes (will probably cause light spill)
-1 4x24 ATI T5 (would eventually add reefbrites or OR3s)

My concerns with the LED fixtures is shadowing. Other than that I really see no reason not to go with them. My concern with the T5 fixture and hybrid fixture is mainly the weight being too much for the canopy or arm (since it won’t actually cover the whole tank). But, I really like T5s.

So, what would you pick? Any other options I should explore?

Jimbo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're used to and like the look of T5, then I would stay with that or go with the hybrid to help blend. Even the best diffused, high hung LED's can still cause some shimmer and shadow which some people really don't like.

If you're tired of replacing bulbs and want to give LED's a try, both options you've listed are good and will depend on your budget. If light spill is a concern, I believe the Photons need to be mounted higher than the primes to get the right amount of spectrum blend and PAR so that may rule them out.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're used to and like the look of T5, then I would stay with that or go with the hybrid to help blend. Even the best diffused, high hung LED's can still cause some shimmer and shadow which some people really don't like.

If you're tired of replacing bulbs and want to give LED's a try, both options you've listed are good and will depend on your budget. If light spill is a concern, I believe the Photons need to be mounted higher than the primes to get the right amount of spectrum blend and PAR so that may rule them out.
Leaning towards the hybrid because I’d get the best of both worlds . Only challenge would be finding a 16” bracket for the aquatic life fixtures. Totally forgot about the mounting height with the reefbreeders so I’ll have to check and see how high I’ll be able to mount them

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of upgrading my tank and naturally I’m exploring upgrading my lights. The lights are going to be suspended from a canopy which is attached by and arm that is screwed to the back of my stand. The plan is to have an SPS Dominated tank with a zoa garden. Tank is is 24x15.5x15

Here are my current options:
-3 AI Primes (Currently running 2)
-1 ReefBreeder Photon V2 16 (maybe 24)
-Aquatic life hybrid w/ 2 primes (will probably cause light spill)
-1 4x24 ATI T5 (would eventually add reefbrites or OR3s)

My concerns with the LED fixtures is shadowing. Other than that I really see no reason not to go with them. My concern with the T5 fixture and hybrid fixture is mainly the weight being too much for the canopy or arm (since it won’t actually cover the whole tank). But, I really like T5s.

So, what would you pick? Any other options I should explore?
No need ReefBrites. Just get the 6 bulb ATI Sunpower and call it the best decision you ever made in your life for your corals for that size tank!!!!

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need ReefBrites. Just get the 6 bulb ATI Sunpower and call it the best decision you ever made in your life for your corals for that size tank!!!!
I had a 6 bulb teklight and I loved it! I don’t think my canopy/arm would support it though. Im going to be moving this year though so I may just wait until then so I can just hang the light from the ceiling

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 6 bulb teklight and I loved it! I don’t think my canopy/arm would support it though. Im going to be moving this year though so I may just wait until then so I can just hang the light from the ceiling
I still have a 6 bulb Tek, but I think one of the ballasts is bad. I changed that Tek for the Sunpower. That was looong time ago... Depending on the type of tank you could just place the fixture on the frame, but yeah, if you can hang the Sunpower from the ceiling will be great.

The tank bellow had a canopy that would be placed above the fixture.

1616364978322.png

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a 6 bulb Tek, but I think one of the ballasts is bad. I changed that Tek for the Sunpower. That was looong time ago... Depending on the type of tank you could just place the fixture on the frame, but yeah, if you can hang the Sunpower from the ceiling will be great.

The tank bellow had a canopy that would be placed above the fixture.

1616364978322.png
How much do you think that weighs?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back