Lighting schedule for a Biocube32

Merry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a great little Biocube32 with coral and fish, I am using the stock lighting. Recently I've been dealing with a brown algae on the glass and now more recently red slime, truth be known I'm about ready to throw in the towel. This is my second BC. I make my own RO water ,
PH 8.4
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
calcium 500
Magnesium 1,500
Phosphate .05
Alkalinity 7.5
Salinity 1.025
This has been a great tank until just recently. I do weekly water changes, ocassionally going 10 days. I always dip any new corals. I'm at the point of trying a course of Chemiclean, however it was suggested to check my light schedule. I'm wondering the schedule others are using.
Any suggestions are welcome.

ImNotNemosDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I recommend is do a good cleaning on the tank and remove as much brown algae and red slime as possible. Then do a 90% water change. Then dial down your lights to 6 hrs instead of 8 -12 hrs. schedule. Increase lights 1 hour every week. That should fix the problem. Also put chemipure and purigen as your media. If this does not fix the problem. You might need to change your bulbs on your biocube. This is what I did on my old my 14 and 32 biocube years ago. It works for me.

Good luck!

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this does not fix the problem. You might need to change your bulbs on your biocube. This is what I did on my old my 14 and 32 biocube years ago. It works for me.

Good luck!

Biocube 32 has LED's not CF replaceable bulbs like the older 29G version.

ImNotNemosDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh I see! I didn't even know the new biocube comes with LED now. Hahaha.

Just dial down the time for now. How old is the tank setup?

ReeferPat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd chime in. I don't know what stock lights you have but I have an Aquatop 40-gallon cube (first set up last November). The stock lights have kept the corals alive just fine but I always had a dreadful brown film of algae on the glass that I had to clean every day. I was finally able to fit new lights into my budget and bought a Kessil A360X two weeks ago. It has been two weeks and I have only cleaned the glass once, and even then it wasn't even really necessary. It really is an amazing difference that I was not expecting. I think the stock light is likely your problem.

The Aquatop stock led lights had twice as many whites as blues. Not sure if that was the problem but I'm running the Kessil at 40 color (more blue than white), ramping from 10% intensity at 6 a.m., 40 percent from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and then ramping down to 10% before lights out at 8 p.m.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back