Lighting suggestions for IM EXT 50 lagoon

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

I am setting up a new IM EXT 50 lagoon tank and looking for suggestions on how to better light the tank. This is a shallow tank planned for large LPS, the dimensions are 30x24x16.

I currently have two AI Primes but I'm not sure how to mount them so that they evenly cover the 30x24 area. I'm also not aware of any hanging kits for multiple ai primes, do they exist?
A reefbreeders photon v2 24" hanging a little higher over this tank would be a good option, but $569 seems a bit steep.
The Reefi UNO looks like a powerful and quality light which I can find around $300 used of $400 new, but I'm slightly concerned about it being a relatively concentrated single source of light (especially compared to reefbreeders photon where the LEDs are distributed across the entire area).
Similar to AI Primes, I could get a Hydra 32 with an HMS kit. This is easy to find slightly used and can be inexpensive, plus it leaves room for a possible upgrade by adding another hydra - that would be enough even for an SPS tank.

What would you go with?
Thank you.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there's any other mounting options for AI Primes other than the flexible or fixed tank mounting brackets. I would place them about 8" from each side of the tank to maximize coverage.

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could pair the primes with an aquaticlife hybrid fixture for a little more punch around the edges of the tank and the ability to center your lights. I love mine, t5s are great for getting light to all the nooks and crannies of the tank and making sure you're covering the whole spectrum, and they don't cost as much as replacing your lighting system.

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could pair the primes with an aquaticlife hybrid fixture for a little more punch around the edges of the tank and the ability to center your lights. I love mine, t5s are great for getting light to all the nooks and crannies of the tank and making sure you're covering the whole spectrum, and they don't cost as much as replacing your lighting system.
I've lived with an AquaticLife 48" hybrid fixture with AI primes for a year and I didn't like it at all. Corals directly under the primes looked WAY brighter than in other places. The fixture itself was cumbersome, multiple power cables hanging on all sides, buzzing balasts (or the bulbs?), obviously no gradual ramping up or down... Then I finally replaced it with a 48" reefbreeders photon and never regretted even for a second.
Now I can't even sell the the hybrid fixture, apparently nobody wants it :)

reefl8r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my 50 int in the mail and I got a reef breeders 24” pro

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They making hanging cords for the AI primes. 2 of them would easily cover 30 inch long tanks. The lights are designed to cover a 24^3 area (I prefer 18^3 for a single light). Unless you are placing high light corals in the very back corner of the tank all the way at the bottom, I wouldn't worry.

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights are designed to cover a 24^3 area
According to the BRS experiments a single Prime maxed out at AB+ settings over a 24" cube barely hits 100 PAR at 12" deep even directly under the light.
Ideally, I'd like to have roughly 100-250 PAR across the entire tank, and it doesn't sound realistic for 2 Primes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back