Lighting Suggestions Please

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS told me that i would probably be better off with two AI hydra 26's. But i always take everything someone tells me like a grain of salt until i see proof.

The 26 makes more sense of the two, IMO, because you can spread out the emitters more for better coverage. I'd favor four or more even-smaller fixtures to the two "medium" size 26's if cost per puck allowed.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a custom 100G that measures 41" x 24" x 24". How long of a fixture would be good enough to hit the whole aquarium with proper light for coral growth? 36? 48? To me 48 seems like overkill, but then again I am still trying to figure things out;)

What kind of corals will be the main focus and any particular corals you're looking at? This could change the recommendation a good amount.

How much budget do you have? What height canopy? Or no canopy? How high up can you go?

OP
OP
Frederick Edwards

Frederick Edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals will be the main focus and any particular corals you're looking at? This could change the recommendation a good amount.

How much budget do you have? What height canopy? Or no canopy? How high up can you go?

Plan on having a mix of each in the long run. In the beginning I will start off with some easy corals. No canopy. Budget can be whatever to a certain extent, as I can wait and save up if need be.

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing at the moment. Tank has been collecting dust since 2009. When it was up, I had 2x 250 mh and 4x t5 with led moonlight. This fixture is still hanging above it, but can not remember the brand.
I would stick with what you have. That is the gold standard in lighting. Unless you would have serious heat problems with that setup. Upgrade to electronic ballasts if they aren't already to save on bulbs and electricity. Leds are usually not any more energy efficient that t5, so unless it is bulb cost, there is no real advantage there. Maybe replace the led moonlights with something more substantial like 5w cree or a reefbright, if you like the led "pop"

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a new LED light out on the market their web site is www.focustronic.net
The actually turn throughout the lighting period to represent the different angle the sun would shine on a reef throughout the day and the amount of light from them was better than the about of light from one of the most well known led lights. They are not cheap but then you only get what you pay for. This company have been around for a while doing high end light mainly in top class hotels and the owner keeps marine tanks so it seemed a natural move for the company. They are now working on a automated alkalinity doser.

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly the issue. Tired of having to buy bulbs all the time.

Yeah, won't argue with you there, for you it would be 160 a year, it hurts. However, 2 ai lights are 700, and have a lifespan of 5 years. Vs 800 in bulb costs over 5 years, maybe less if you do your bulb shopping on the big sale days. So not that huge a difference. I would not run today's leds without t5 supplement, so the savings would be even less for me. But I spend nearly 300 every year in bulbs, and it does suck.

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Next question I have is can you change out the bulbs in the fixture when its lifetime is up?
It looks like AI sells replacement pucks for 80 each, so that is a lot less than t5/mh. Now if they will still sell them for that model in 5 years, I don't know, and with advances in LED tech, I'm not sure if you would want to. Ecotech has been all about upgrade-ability of their lights, however their new g4 pucks don't go into their older lights, so if you have a 5 year old g2, then you are stuck with that tech. So far I think it is best to think of the five year lifespan as 5 years and buy a entirely new unit, but I am hopeful that as the technology progression slows, the rate at which fixtures become obsolete will slow as well, so that up keeping an old fixture would make sense. LEDs are nearly at the point (light quality wise) where I want them, but before I shell out 2-4 grand in lights, I want to know I'll be getting more like 10yrs out of a fixture, with some maintenance along the way

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time your fixture is expired, you'll be ready for something new and better anyway.

In 5 years, even the cost for my DIY build have dropped by almost half compared to what I spent on my first version.

Consider the costs saved in bulb replacements (and maybe power) and just buy new lights when the time comes.

If $700/light bothers you, don't spend $700/light. Plenty of good lights available for less. The $150 DIY I mentioned earlier, for an example at the far other end of the pricing spectrum.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back