Lighting that won't need upgrading

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back to your actual goal. Maybe you should ask some of the LED champions on this thread what the best LED light was of 2015.....

Cuz, you know, you're looking for a light you won't have to upgrade or replace.....

If I went back 5yrs, ATI sunpower/powermodule would still be the T5 light of choice for an sps tank.
Time is funny isn't it..

T5 reef renaissance

In the six years since that launch, however, technology for T5 has galloped forward. Spectra have got better, choice of tubes has greatly increased and number of tubes used to get the best results has also gone up.
This item was first published in the September 2009 issue of Practical Fishkeeping
Good

• Bright enough for SPS
  • Fan cooling
  • Nice looking light spectrum
  • In vogue
Bad

• Circuits and fans failed on one unit, two lamps failed on the other...
  • Ceiling mounted only

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my tank just over 5 years ago now. With a reef Breeder photon v1. Still using it as I convert the tank to SPS dominant with no definitive plans to change it.

@OP, this is fully valid, and you should also consider. Almost any commercial light made today can be configured to grow just about anything. If it doesn't bother you to not have the newest/hottest light then pick whichever light you like most asthetically and buy enough of them now to configure for SPS when you get there.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my tank just over 5 years ago now. With a reef Breeder photon v1. Still using it as I convert the tank to SPS dominant with no definitive plans to change it.
I ended up going with the Reef Breeder photon 24-V2+. I got a good deal on it and read many good things about it....hope it works out

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OP, this is fully valid, and you should also consider. Almost any commercial light made today can be configured to grow just about anything. If it doesn't bother you to not have the newest/hottest light then pick whichever light you like most asthetically and buy enough of them now to configure for SPS when you get there.
Yeah that's what I kind of got from all the discussions and research I have done....

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with the Reef Breeder photon 24-V2+. I got a good deal on it and read many good things about it....hope it works out
You won’t be disappointed. It’s an excellent light. I have one waiting for a new tank I’m setting up shortly as well.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t be disappointed. It’s an excellent light. I have one waiting for a new tank I’m setting up shortly as well.
Awesome! I haven't gotten to use mine yet because I'm still cycling my tank but I'm excited to try it out....I have had a lot of people tell me that I wont be disappointed. Did you do the ceiling mount or use the legs? Just curious

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legs for my current one. TBD if I use legs or mount the one for the new tank in a hood

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty broad brush you are using there.
"People" don't say that.. at least not in the spirit you present it as.

There may come a day that that is true but market factors will decide.
Or governments will decide. RoHS deadlines are looming. In Europe, that's Feb 28, 2023.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or governments will decide. RoHS deadlines are looming. In Europe, that's Feb 28, 2023.
My understanding is this applies to 175W or lesser merc. containing lighting.
Thing is the market will gradually eliminate the >175W bulbs as tech and costs improves.
Market will shrink (slow or fast??)

Aquariums (commercial/hobby) will not be a large enough market to sustain it.
Though running 1 lot per/yr say may keep it on life support for awhile.
You don't survive on 1 lot/yr.

Signify in their "plea" wants it global or nothing (my cynical interpretation) though they say they are in philosophical agreement with the ban.
GE will make it as long as gov and customers want it.

t5's and the like are the "low hanging fruit" atm though.

Messy,messy,messy

Hawaii​

Hawaii banned high CRI fluorescents starting January 1, 2021.
Any linear fluorescent with a CRI greater than 87 is now considered illegal.

Note most reef centric tubes will be nowhere near >87CRI.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still amazed how some on these lighting debates still don't understand that you can't draw causation from correlation.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back