Lighting that won't need upgrading

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last 23 years I've used power compacts, Halides, T5 (ATI & coralife), Led (kessil a360 and Mitras LX7 and DIY). Without a doubt Halides and T5 grow coral/clams better than the LED. That is not a knock on LED at all and not to say you can't grow corals really well with LED. I have 2 kessil over my 30" 20g long growing hammer frags and they are SUPER happy. The kessils are also 7 years old.

I spent a TON on 6 kessil a360 and 4 mitras LX7. I now have 3 - 250w Halides over my tank with 4 mitras as supplemental.

You'll be able to grow anything you want with any of the options mentioned in this thread.

The easiest by far, IMO, is T5. Set it and forget it and grow anything you want like crazy.

I'd definitely run T5 or T5 hybrid if I had a 36" or less tank.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last 23 years I've used power compacts, Halides, T5 (ATI & coralife), Led (kessil a360 and Mitras LX7 and DIY). Without a doubt Halides and T5 grow coral/clams better than the LED. That is not a knock on LED at all and not to say you can't grow corals really well with LED. I have 2 kessil over my 30" 20g long growing hammer frags and they are SUPER happy. The kessils are also 7 years old.

I spent a TON on 6 kessil a360 and 4 mitras LX7. I now have 3 - 250w Halides over my tank with 4 mitras as supplemental.

You'll be able to grow anything you want with any of the options mentioned in this thread.

The easiest by far, IMO, is T5. Set it and forget it and grow anything you want like crazy.

I'd definitely run T5 or T5 hybrid if I had a 36" or less tank.
So all the options will grow sps? How often do you change t5s?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried to build anything like that so would need to buy tools....do you have an examples?
Is the tank backed up to a wall? You could just use the brackets for holding up shelving with a fixture you don't want to hang

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all the options mentioned will grow sps. Some will grow them faster than others.

Some people change T5 bulbs every year. Others every 18 months. I tended to do 18 months. I suspect you could actually push it to two years, but haven't tested it. I think a 2yr old T5 bulb will probably grow sps as quickly as a new LED. I think people change T5 and halide for maximum performance but could stretch functional performance much longer.Maybe @A. grandis could chime in on this.

Kclizzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of these should cover you for everything
what's the difference between these and a pair of ai primes

asking for a friend...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut out a piece of plywood the size and shape of your tank. Use a few shelf brackets to hold it up. Nail or glue some boards on the face of it. You could use crown molding. It's cheap at any big box hardware store. Mount lights to plywood.
Depending on the shape of your tank, the only tools needed is a screwdriver and a hammer.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut out a piece of plywood the size and shape of your tank. Use a few shelf brackets to hold it up. Nail or glue some boards on the face of it. You could use crown molding. It's cheap at any big box hardware store. Mount lights to plywood.
Depending on the shape of your tank, the only tools needed is a screwdriver and a hammer.
Yeah just basic rectangle but how would I cut the plywood? Do they do it in store?

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all the options mentioned will grow sps. Some will grow them faster than others.

Some people change T5 bulbs every year. Others every 18 months. I tended to do 18 months. I suspect you could actually push it to two years, but haven't tested it. I think a 2yr old T5 bulb will probably grow sps as quickly as a new LED. I think people change T5 and halide for maximum performance but could stretch functional performance much longer.Maybe @A. grandis could chime in on this.
Every 18 months is a little more doable....thank you for clarifying that for me. Because I'm new to this I dont the corals to grow too fast I wouldn't know what to do with all the growth

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's the difference between these and a pair of ai primes

asking for a friend...
Spectrums and channel layout are the main differences.
Red Sea (and apparent Chinese clone by PopBloom) has true UV (<400nm)

AI Primes have deep red and green channels
Red Sea is a bit deeper blue" (UV, sub-UV, Royal) in their spread while the AI is shifted to the right for the blue range (sub-UV,royal,normal blue).
Neither has significant cyan which is present in many tube type phosphor layout.

Red sea is 2 channel w/ a white and a "blue" channel. AI Prime is 7 channels.
Easier to blend white/blue channels than 7 colors.
Lensing is different but not sure of the spread on the Red Sea.

AI Prime violets tend to, over time, brown out the plastic lens. Diodes seem fine but only going on hearsay ATM.
Red Sea in all likelihood uses a glass lens since most plastics will filter UV.

What "look" one gets or can get is obviously different.

Competing products in the same niche.
Performance should be similar

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice:
Vivid Aquatics took live PAR measurements of their 800g reef, which has thriving SPS from the sandbed to the top. The highest PAR they had was somewhere around 320 at the very top of a 28" deep tank. The sandbed was around 100 PAR.

Additionally, Dana Riddle has shown that too much par slows photosynthesis, and that the first hour of sunrise and sunset may cause more photosynthesis than the rest of the whole day combined -- Due to it's lower PAR.

So take everything with a grain of salt.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 18 months is a little more doable....thank you for clarifying that for me. Because I'm new to this I dont the corals to grow too fast I wouldn't know what to do with all the growth
Corals growing too fast can definitely be an issue to consider! Not a terrible problem to have though! :) $10 frags to your local reefers and it will stay nice and tidy.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice:

Hmm so I don't need much par? I didn't want to over do it just wanted to grow nice corals....

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice:

Vivid runs DE Halides right?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back