Lighting

madreefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone need some help choosing some new lighting I currently have a 32” x 16” x 18” (LxWxH) and currently running a Hydra 26 but it’s giving up on life so looking for a upgrade but keeping in mind the new light will follow to the new tank that’s going to be ready in the next 6month and that’s 96” x 24” x 24” I know I’ll have to add more lights to the bigger tank but what would everyone pick that will be okay on the smaller one for a little while but perfect on the bigger one ?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone need some help choosing some new lighting I currently have a 32” x 16” x 18” (LxWxH) and currently running a Hydra 26 but it’s giving up on life so looking for a upgrade but keeping in mind the new light will follow to the new tank that’s going to be ready in the next 6month and that’s 96” x 24” x 24” I know I’ll have to add more lights to the bigger tank but what would everyone pick that will be okay on the smaller one for a little while but perfect on the bigger one ?
3 or 4 Reefbreeders 24" v2

OP
OP
madreefman

madreefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my AI lights but Reefi lights have really caught my attention lately. When I set up my frag system I might give them a shot.
I love Ai but I know there are always newer options I am thinking back to Ai but I know you have all the other options like reef-factory, Orphek, eco tech etc

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your current tank I would say a photon 24 or 32 if it will fit. I run two 32s over a 36x24x24 tank and a 24 with a 4 bulb t5 hybrid over a 24x22x22 tank and really like them but I also like my hydra 26, gen 4 radions and my Noopsyche k7s
If it were me I would decide what lighting you want for the new tank first. Then see what you have to do to use one of those lights on the current tank. There are so many options available and everyone has an opinion on their favorite which makes lighting choices difficult.

EDIT

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of these lights

They are about to release the maridian, these will replace the photons, at a price hike. Best deals are now, every major online vendor sells them.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are so funny with lighting, almost superstitious. I look at price, spread, par and spectrum adjustability and decide the best match for my needs. I read the reviews and look for pics and videos.
It makes sense to me. The two variables that have the potential to make coral tweak the most are lighting and temperature.

I think coral is pretty forgiving with fluctuations or imperfections in most other parameters, but lights and temp are both big make-or-break factors.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
madreefman

madreefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your current tank I would say a photon 24 or 32 if it will fit. I run two 32s over a 36x24x24 tank and a 24 with a 4 bulb t5 hybrid over a 24x22x22 tank and really like them but I also like my hydra 26, gen 4 radions and my Noopsyche k7s
If it were me I would decide what lighting you want for the new tank first. Then see what you have to do to use one of those lights on the current tank. There are so many options available and everyone has an opinion on their favorite which makes lighting choices difficult.

EDIT
Yeah this is what I’m struggling with as I do like the AI and I love the radion but then heard good things about the reef factory stuff then bad stuff orphek I like but also heard parts are not easy being in the UK so it’s one of them I’m in a right dilemma

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back