Lightning choice for Red Sea Reefer 250

simonfchr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef2reef. I have a reefer 250 i bought used in November. The previous owner skimped on a lot of the equipment imo, but since im a student i've only gotten money for upgrading it now after working all summer.. ;Playful So im on the lookout for some new equipment, lighting first... i've read a lot of posts about the choices and me and the gf have decided that it has to be an LED fixture due to their look.

So it's either going to be the orphek atlantik v4 (either full or compact) or the red sea reefled 90 x2 - either option seems to have overwelmingly positive reviews and we like the look of them. What would you recommend for an SPS dominant tank?
The compact and reefled 90 x2 is about the same price (800 euro including everything) whereas the fullsize atlantik is 960 euro. I think i like the atlantik more, but would the fullsize be overkill? I also dont like that im buying from a seller outside EU so theres only one year warranty, unlike 2 years for the reefled. How is the CS at orphek?

Thanks!

Lucky Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the full size Atlantik if you plan on letting your colonies get big and interior shading becomes an issue.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the full sized V4 on my Reefer 250 for almost two years and thought it was ideal for that 3 foot tank. I only needed Customer Service once which was answered over a weekend and they worked with me until my problem upgrading from a G1 to G2 was resolved.

Prior to getting the Orphek I ran a pair of Kessil 160’s then a T5/Kessil hybrid then a T5/Reefbrite hybrid then Orphek which finally made me happy.

OP
OP
S

simonfchr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy directly from orphek? It is much cheaper even including EU VAT and taxes, but not sure how i like buying stuff from outside EU - unless i'm certain that they provide good customer server.

Tbf James at orphek has been really helpful already

OP
OP
S

simonfchr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up buying the orphek, but due to moving i returned it and sold the tank. Just started up a red sea max nano though and i can only say that im very happy with the reefled 50 it came with. All sps and lps are doing great!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 98 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back