Lights for a 55 gallon

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I have been doing some research because I would like to change the lights on my tank. The ones I have right now are just regular, boring lights with a on and off switch, no dimming lights or blue light (moonlight?). Any recommendations? Something not so expensive of course. I attached some pictures of the tank. Don't judge my tank, there is not much in there yet lol.

0D5FD573-DD34-49AF-B3DA-AD4E41DDDA88.jpeg 8365F737-D00F-425B-A88B-1B1A11FE4574.jpeg 0C5F986C-B162-4894-A8E1-D600685DA443.jpeg

Adam Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Eve what kind of corals will you be adding? If you are planning on keeping some SPS I would recommend a couple
Aqua Illumination
HYDRA 32 HD LED REEF LEDs.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Eve what kind of corals will you be adding? If you are planning on keeping some SPS I would recommend a couple
Aqua Illumination
HYDRA 32 HD LED REEF LEDs.
Hi, I think LPS since they seem a little easier to take care of? SPS makes me a little nervous lol. I will read some reviews. Thank you!!

Last edited:

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I think LPS since they seem a little easier to take care of? SPS makes me a little nervous lol.
There are a few good options depending on much you wanna drop on those.
Kessil 360 with a few t5s on a hybrid fixture.
Radion coupla xr 15s
Hydras are good but pain to set it up

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few good options depending on much you wanna drop on those.
Kessil 360 with a few t5s on a hybrid fixture.
Radion coupla xr 15s
Hydras are good but pain to set it up
I would love something not so expensive! No more than $500. This hobby is becoming too expensive

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man don't send her to Mars with those lol.
I mean Mars aqua is okaish but has a history of blowing up. Knw m sayin?
Omg blowing up? That’s scary!! Lol Mark what are you doing to me lol trying to kill me?
I am running 3 of them. Never had an issue, they grow coral great, and they are budget friendly! Has 1 of them "actually blown up"?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep in mind that the 55g layout is usually long and thin with a brace in the middle. Many lights won't cover much width without spilling a lot of light outside of the depth (front to back). Also the brace in the middle makes it a challenge to have an odd number of lights. If you can find a strip light that is powerful enough to grow the types of corals that you want to raise then that may be a good option. Good luck with whatever you decide!

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that the 55g layout is usually long and thin with a brace in the middle. Many lights won't cover much width without spilling a lot of light outside of the depth (front to back). Also the brace in the middle makes it a challenge to have an odd number of lights. If you can find a strip light that is powerful enough to grow the types of corals that you want to raise then that may be a good option. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Yeah you just described my tank lol. It makes sense, I was thinking about how I was going to mount any of those lights, looks so complicated.

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sb reef lights are nice as well...reefbreeders are good mar aqua and ocean revive. No need to spend 500 plus per light esp if u haven’t grown coral yet...I get it buy once cry once but for a these lights have all had good success and are on the cheaper side. U might have to do a lil more tweaking and research. The cool thing abt all three of these lights that no one seems to talk abt is the fact that, if they break u can work on them replace parts and adjust spectrum by changing out leds. Tons of options do your research no need on spending 1000+ on lighting for the first go around. wait till you kno exactly what u want before u go buying light that costs as much as your whole setup. Lol happy reefing and welcome to the most addicting hobby known.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sb reef lights are nice as well...reefbreeders are good mar aqua and ocean revive. No need to spend 500 plus per light esp if u haven’t grown coral yet...I get it buy once cry once but for a these lights have all had good success and are on the cheaper side. U might have to do a lil more tweaking and research. The cool thing abt all three of these lights that no one seems to talk abt is the fact that, if they break u can work on them replace parts and adjust spectrum by changing out leds. Tons of options do your research no need on spending 1000+ on lighting for the first go around. wait till you kno exactly what u want before u go buying light that costs as much as your whole setup. Lol happy reefing and welcome to the most addicting hobby known.
Lol I know , the most addicting and expensive

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg blowing up? That’s scary!! Lol Mark what are you doing to me lol trying to kill me?
Not all of em blows but I heard a
I am running 3 of them. Never had an issue, they grow coral great, and they are budget friendly! Has 1 of them "actually blown up"?
Yes sir,
Heard many kaboom stories of Mars aqua and other Chinese black boxes.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the length* of the tank? For LPS and softies wouldn't a used Kessil AP700 do the trick? Allows to maybe add T5 later if she decides to go easy to moderate SPS.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the length* of the tank? For LPS and softies wouldn't a used Kessil AP700 do the trick? Allows to maybe add T5 later if she decides to go easy to moderate SPS.
48 inches, but it has a brace on the center? So each side 24in.. Im sure you already knew that lol. Also, I have been reading that lights could melt the brace? Now sounds like a bad idea. My tank comes with two hoods, so I was thinking about removing the hoods, adding the lights and trying to figure out how to cover the tank so my fish won’t end up on the carpet.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes center brace just like my 75. I've never heard of a center brace melting tbh, will have to check that out.

As far as the hoods you will need to remove them for any decent lighting option, you can do a DIY screen top for each side though.

Personally I'd go with a 2 fixture T5 and add some LED to suppliment color and shimmer.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back