taymarie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
43172E89-0451-456C-AFBB-9F500E76CDF3.png
168F4C05-FE57-4F45-A37B-A155D23BE84A.jpeg
This is the light I have for a ten gallon with two clowns and some soft corals and I’m wondering if that’s ok. It has the two settings of white and blue light then just blue light. I want to make sure it’s ok since my tank is so small with just a few frags without killing them. This is also my tank for reference. It’s a little boring since it’s only about 6 months old but it has copeopods which is good!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not too familiar with that light but I believe it would be ok for the easier low light soft corals. But I'd consider it to be bare minimum and would recommend a brighter fixture

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is basic spectrum offering little blue and suffiecient for fish only, and may support coral such as condy anemone, candy cane, xenia, kenyii tree and muchrooms/leathers. For $35, one cant expect much although manufacturer boasts it as a full spectrum light

OP
OP
taymarie

taymarie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is basic spectrum offering little blue and suffiecient for fish only, and may support coral such as condy anemone, candy cane, xenia, kenyii tree and muchrooms/leathers. For $35, one cant expect much although manufacturer boasts it as a full spectrum light
It’s not enough blue even with the blue light only setting on? In the picture I have the brighter light on. I turn that one on in the morning because my clowns seem to like it in the morning

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turning the whites down/off doesn't increase the blues, just makes blue more visible to your eye. I'd agree this light is primarily for fish only tanks... bare minimum for soft corals (and maybe not enough for some of them either).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s not enough blue even with the blue light only setting on? In the picture I have the brighter light on. I turn that one on in the morning because my clowns seem to like it in the morning
Very lacking in blue and light recommended for up to a 20 gal tank.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this your first tank, live with it to see if you want to stick with reefing. Once you get a bigger tank look at getting a better light but no point in spending several hundred dollars to start with

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you do want to get into coral, a good cheap light is the spectra aquaknight V2. it's a really good light ime and I even accidentally bleached acropora when the built in timer malfunctioned (due to overheating after accidentally dropping light in water and built in fans broke) which shows that they can provide high intensity lighting.

I’m Batman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank setup!!

From my experience - if you’re this far in, coral fever isn’t going to stop LOL! You’re going to soon want more and more corals! Clowns like something soft to sleep on!

two clowns and some soft corals and I’m wondering if that’s ok.

Since you asked - the only way‘s I know to answer this test is either see how things look in a few months. Maybe someone has that light and can do a 10 gallon tank PAR measurement.

Save the $400 you’re about to spend over the next 2 years - buy a coral light like a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue or better. I ended up spending money on a PAR meter and now I have a tote full of basically unusable lights that put out less than 50 par.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back