Liking the interior of a stand

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I know painting the interior of a stand is best to waterproof it . My stand is a little old and painted black inside . But I wanna make sure the wood is sealed from moisture .
Any lining that you have used to cover the interior of sump ?

If so what lining and where do I buy it ?

Regards,
ABHISHEK

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I know painting the interior of a stand is best to waterproof it . My stand is a little old and painted black inside . But I wanna make sure the wood is sealed from moisture .
Any lining that you have used to cover the interior of sump ?

If so what lining and where do I buy it ?

Regards,
ABHISHEK
Another member of the forum said he was going to paint the inside of his stand with white Flexseal, the rubber spray paint. I thought that was a fantastic idea and wish I would have done it!

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another member of the forum said he was going to paint the inside of his stand with white Flexseal, the rubber spray paint. I thought that was a fantastic idea and wish I would have done it!
That really is a great idea! [emoji106]

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the surfaces are going to have to stand up to physical wear or direct exposure, I can tell you from experience that simple stain is enough to protect the wood from ordinary levels of use and exposure. I've got a very old wood stand that has had a leaking tank on it for years and the only thing that I can tell from it is that the doors creak when they are opened now. (Minor leak from under the top trim...not structural.) Most stands are not going to see this kind of abuse – certainly not the inside. (But if it does, you're a horrible sump builder. ;) )

An ordinary paint job might do even better than stain.

You want to worry about water penetration if you're using one of those press-board stands more than wood anyway....actual wood is really unfazed even after some pretty extreme exposure.

(Thinking about the 2x4 structure that held the entire retail operation off the ground at the reef store where I worked. Granted it was painted once with something like Rustoleum, but it had seen 15 years of hard exposure and absolutely no love since then. As I said already - utterly unfazed. Looked bad, of course, but that's not a real problem. ;))

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use Rustoleam enamel paint ? I have a quart sitting around that I used to paint the tank background ?

Regards,
ABHISHEK

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drying time is usually the main hang up with oil base so just be aware of that so you don't make a mess. :cool:

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are really worried about moisture or water leaking under the stand, you could always look at cutting a pond liner to fit in the inside. It's flexible and can be cut to whatever dimensions you want. Just know then that any water that leaks will then puddle inside. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the amazing inputs.Used Rustoleum Leak Seal similar to Flexseal to paint the inner of the sump.

Regards,
Abhishek

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back