Lionfish and friends

Javen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into a predatory fish tank. For sure I want a lionfish and maybe a shark if they are compatible. What all can you mix with them. I heard that if the fish can't fit in its mouth it will be fine, but I wanted expert opinion. This is the list of the type of fish I want; lionfish, eel, cool starfish, shark, and a octopus would be nice but not a need. So what could my combination be?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts exactly. With some on your list you will need one big tank :)
Lion fish however are cool indeed.
I had a lion fish once what was the hardest part was keeping the diverse diet they need.
True if its too big for them they won't touch it. The diet they require however is a whole different story for long term survival.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already stated....that would be a HUGE tank lol. Quite a diverse range of livestock from starfish to sharks to Octopus :) You could put together a pretty cool, reasonably sized tank with the Lions, eels, and starfish (along with some other predators). Unless you plan on investing a ton of money, I would stay away from the sharks and Octopus (assuming you aren't talking about the dwarf varieties).

OP
OP
Javen

Javen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really care about the octopus but I like the shark but I don't have to have if. So I could have lionfish and eels together with starfish ?

schlitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lionfish in a 120 with others. Truthfully he has not proved to be as hard to feed as everyone warned me about. He has eaten any thawed out food that I have thrown in. I added a butterfly that he immediately tasted. He did spit it out but it was dead the next day probably from stress. I have also had a beheaded snowflake eel and he was my prime suspect. But he leaves alone my Lunar Wrasse, Humu Trigger, two damsels and two Clarki Clowns. I have not tried to add a starfish but that is mainly due to the trigger. I do have some snails that surprisingly are left alone.
I too want a shark to add but I am waiting until I can get something that is at least 200 gallons.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really care about the octopus but I like the shark but I don't have to have if. So I could have lionfish and eels together with starfish ?

Yes, you can keep those all together. The Lions will only go after whatever they can fit into their mouths.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep. The lionfish, eels, and stars will do well. I'm not sure about the frogfish in with them. I'd be worried about the lionfish trying to eat him (though I could be wrong on that). I don't think there are any sharks that you could keep in a 125, and an octopus would need its own special tank.

Back