Lionfish died 20 min after prazi

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed my tank with prazi because I though it was possible he had flukes. He started swimming erradicly and flaring his gills. Within 15 minutes he was upside down on the bottom. I grabbed him and put him in a freshwater bath thinking maybe the flukes were quivering in his gills and killing him. This did nothing. Tried reviving him for 20 minutes but he was gone. What on earth happened.... he was a huge healthy active fish. I am heartbroken.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember right, prazipro depletes oxygen. It fuels a different type of bacteria that rapidly depletes oxygen. If it was a large fish, it could have suffocated to death. I've dosed it on my 350 gallon mixed reef for two weeks. I noticed the PH drop significantly. Also, my Dragon wrasse, didn't come out for a week after dosing Prazipro. Didn't come out to eat or swim or anything. I thought for sure he had died. As soon as the time was up and I did a water change to remove the prazipro, within 24 hours he was out eating like a pig. Some fish are really sensitive, I'm just glad my dragon wrasse didn't starve himself to death. He's an 8 inch long fish with teeth. But he remained buried in the sand the entire time.... Probably what saved him...

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear, next time i think if it is having any respiration issues it is best to transfer fish back to the water they were previously in, at regular salinity.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty typical. Lions are quite sensitive to medications and internal parasites are almost always a death sentence.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear, next time i think if it is having any respiration issues it is best to transfer fish back to the water they were previously in, at regular salinity.
I dosed prazi into his aquarium, he was already half dead in his own tank.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know how lionfish do with copper and freshwater baths? Just so we all know for the future. Fw bath when it comes in is not a bad idea to check if flukes are gonna be a problem but idk how they tolerate them, also handling a lionfish is a pita

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know how lionfish do with copper and freshwater baths? Just so we all know for the future. Fw bath when it comes in is not a bad idea to check if flukes are gonna be a problem but idk how they tolerate them, also handling a lionfish is a pita
Mine did fine with cupramine. Grabbed him like a bass to try and save him but he was pretty far gone. Unreal how fast he went from begging for food to being upside down.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
again sorry to hear about this, thank you for sharing the experience as it will surely help others learn as well

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pp is one of 2 meds I would recommend for lions, gc being the other one. I have treated dozens of lions successfully with pp. The thing I find when people have issue with pp, is they actually od'd the dosage. You must consider displacement when dosing, and stick to the recommended dose per actually water volume. If it wasnt't an od, there may be other contributing factors, as I have recommended pp to mañy other lion owners that also had success.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pp is one of 2 meds I would recommend for lions, gc being the other one. I have treated dozens of lions successfully with pp. The thing I find when people have issue with pp, is they actually od'd the dosage. You must consider displacement when dosing, and stick to the recommended dose per actually water volume. If it wasnt't an od, there may be other contributing factors, as I have recommended pp to mañy other lion owners that also had success.
4 1/2 tsp. 75 gallon display with 12 gallons in sump. It also states on the bottle that it can't be over dosed. All I can say is he was happy as a clam when I dosed it, visibly in distress within minutes of dosing, and in bad enough shape for me to pick him up like a bass without fear of being speared within 15 minutes.

I don't believe it is possible for prazi to deplete the oxygen to that extreme of a level as soon as it was added.
I have heard that the flukes will vibrate when dosing prazi possibly causing injury, but in the last ditch effort freshwater bath, I saw very little if any flukes.
So that leads me to believe he was poisoned.
Very sad whatever it was, that guy was my buddy.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 1/2 tsp. 75 gallon display with 12 gallons in sump. It also states on the bottle that it can't be over dosed. All I can say is he was happy as a clam when I dosed it, visibly in distress within minutes of dosing, and in bad enough shape for me to pick him up like a bass without fear of being speared within 15 minutes.

I don't believe it is possible for prazi to deplete the oxygen to that extreme of a level as soon as it was added.
I have heard that the flukes will vibrate when dosing prazi possibly causing injury, but in the last ditch effort freshwater bath, I saw very little if any flukes.
So that leads me to believe he was poisoned.
Very sad whatever it was, that guy was my buddy.

That dosage would be for 90g of water volume. In a 75g with rocks and substrate and the fact that your 12g sump likely only holds about 7-8g max, tbst would be an overdose. If you do an average scape you are likely closer to about 60g water volume.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That dosage would be for 90g of water volume. In a 75g with rocks and substrate and the fact that your 12g sump likely only holds about 7-8g max, tbst would be an overdose. If you do an average scape you are likely closer to about 60g water volume.
It's a 20 gallon sump over half full. Not much in the way of rocks, water level near the top. I may have put slightly more than than normal dose. But not a chance that this fish would have been perfectly fine if I put a half tsp less of prazi, and died in 20 minutes instead. That is just not what happened.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 20 gallon sump over half full. Not much in the way of rocks, water level near the top. I may have put slightly more than than normal dose. But not a chance that this fish would have been perfectly fine if I put a half tsp less of prazi, and died in 20 minutes instead. That is just not what happened.
Half inch of sand at most.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At most I put in 10% more than the prescribed dose. If it is that close to the edge of almost instant death, then it would almost be killing fish at the prescribed dose, and certainly detrimental to their well being.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went through 30 days of cupramine without a hitch. Just can't believe prazipro would kill him so fast.

Lions that do survive copper usually don't live long after, up to a year at most. If you were to do a dissection you would find liver damage. I do believe you did od the pp coupled with the liver damage from the copper treatment is what happened. Pp on it's own dosed in the right amount has been proven to pretty safe for lions and other species like eels that have been known to be sensitive to meds.

Back