Liquid Phosphate Remover Dosing Calculator

Which liquid phosphate remover do you prefer?

• Blue Life™ Phosphate Rx™

Votes: 57 23.5%
  • Brightwell® Aquatics Phosphat-E

Votes: 109 44.9%
  • Two Little Fishies PhosBan®-L

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Bulk lanthanum chloride

Votes: 22 9.1%
  • Other (respond in thread)

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • I don't use a liquid phosphate remover

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Acrylic Tank Manufacturing Agent Green™

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
L

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you do the same for the Seaklear Phosphate remover?
I've looked at their instructions before and I don't know to calculate a dosage. The other products all say something along the lines of "1 ml in X gallons of water will reduce phosphates by Y ppm". Seaklear says if your phosphates are at e.g. 250 ppb (0.25 ppm) then dose 1 ounce per 1000 gallons of water, but doesn't tell you how much of that 250 ppb will be removed.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a great tool! My experience is that it takes a good bit more that this tool or the really complicated instructions. But I kind of like that as I don’t want to overdose and seems I can control better if it takes more.

The Big Chill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefReady9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make a Lanthanum remover that I sell. I calculated the dose as Lanthanum Phosphate and in the tests I made it seems to fit with the Hanna ULR values. I have not sold many but the calculation seems to work for the customers too.
Never add more than that takes away half the phosphate value You have measured. Never use Lanthanum for values under 0,1 ppm phosphate.

If the desired level is 0.03ppm why would you not use Lanthanum to achieve that level?

ReefReady9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the calculated dose determined? By assuming all lanthanum ends up as lanthanum phosphate?

I suspect that is what manufacturers do, and if so, it is likely an underestimate of the amount needed.

It most certainly is an underestimate. I used the suggested value two days in a row and got nowhere near the reduction promised :/

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For beginners I recommend 0,1 as a good phosphate level.
In my personal 420 gallon tank I have problems with low phosphate.
I will never use 0,03 as a suitable level in home tanks. Its very easy to crash a tank with to low levels. I have seen to many examples of that.

If the phosphate level is bouncing up again it comes from phosphate bound in the live rock dissolving.
Remember if You strike your level down to zero it will hurt or kill corals. You need a safety margin.
Many people count the total outer volume of their tank and as before: You need a safety margin.

Aluminium or iron based phosphate remover in a reactor with slow flow (a tank volume a day) makes a slow reduction and it is easy to control.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a bottle of Phosban-L. I have a 120 mixed reef with no SPS and can not get my PO below 0.5. I use Salifert test kits. I have a lot of rock and much of it is 20 plus years old. Also, the LFS I really trust, adds it directly to his tank without dilution; any follow this method? Any advice or thoughts? I should add that I run GFO 24/7.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a bottle of Phosban-L. I have a 120 mixed reef with no SPS and can not get my PO below 0.5. I use Salifert test kits. I have a lot of rock and much of it is 20 plus years old. Also, the LFS I really trust, adds it directly to his tank without dilution; any follow this method? Any advice or thoughts? I should add that I run GFO 24/7.

I've not used lanthanum products, but you should be careful to not go too far as too low of phosphate might be worse than elevated phosphate.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum seems to severely affect PO4 readings with Hanna HI774. Levels never seem to go down which can lead to overdosing which can DEFINITELY cause harm (ask me). If using, I'd do the math and go very slowly with reducing levels

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I have the bottle but have not used any and yes, I will be very careful with it, prob dripping in 1/4 ML to start in what is prob 100 gallons of water.

Green1181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum seems to severely affect PO4 readings with Hanna HI774. Levels never seem to go down which can lead to overdosing which can DEFINITELY cause harm (ask me). If using, I'd do the math and go very slowly with reducing levels

cjpitt80

I had the same issue yesterday, my PO4 was increasing on my Hanna ULR after dripping Lanthanum into a 10 micron sock. Did you end up getting accurate PO4 results with the meter after a bit of time?

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my water through a couple of coffee filters before testing, when using LaCl. I feel it gives more accurate readings.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my water through a couple of coffee filters before testing, when using LaCl. I feel it gives more accurate readings.

How are you able to determine if it's more accurate? I run my water thru a syringe driven 45um sterile filter and see no difference

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Green1181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you able to determine if it's more accurate? I run my water thru a syringe driven 45um sterile filter and see no difference

I did the Hanna ULR phosphate test daily for 1 month to figure out production. And, to fine tune daily LaCl dosing.
The results of the unfiltered sample where inconsistent, with higher and some lower readings. I assume it is due to interference of particles suspended in the sample.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back