Liquid Phosphate Remover Dosing Calculator

Which liquid phosphate remover do you prefer?

• Blue Life™ Phosphate Rx™

Votes: 57 23.5%
  • Brightwell® Aquatics Phosphat-E

Votes: 109 44.9%
  • Two Little Fishies PhosBan®-L

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Bulk lanthanum chloride

Votes: 22 9.1%
  • Other (respond in thread)

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • I don't use a liquid phosphate remover

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Acrylic Tank Manufacturing Agent Green™

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together a calculator to help with dosing the right amount of some of the popular liquid phosphate removers that are based on lanthanum chloride (Blue Life™ Phosphate Rx™, Brightwell® Aquatics Phosphat-E, Two Little Fishies PhosBan®-L, and Acrylic Tank Manufacturing Agent Green™):

http://larryl.emailplus.org/fish/dosing-instructions-phosphate-removers.html

Hope you find it helpful.
I just created a post today about proper dose on Phosphate-E and how to do the math. Someone shot me the link to your calculator and I can't thank you enough. Bookmarked. Great Job.

Hoffius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together a calculator to help with dosing the right amount of some of the popular liquid phosphate removers that are based on lanthanum chloride (Blue Life™ Phosphate Rx™, Brightwell® Aquatics Phosphat-E, Two Little Fishies PhosBan®-L, and Acrylic Tank Manufacturing Agent Green™):

http://larryl.emailplus.org/fish/dosing-instructions-phosphate-removers.html

Hope you find it helpful.
6 drops of Phosphate Rx™ in 10 gallons of water will reduce phosphates by 0.5 ppm

I dont understand this part at all...what does 10 gallons of water have to do with my 75 gal tank?

Hoffius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50% of recommended dose: 42.8 drops
6 drops of Phosphate Rx™ in 10 gallons of water will reduce phosphates by 0.5 ppm

So do I dose 42 drops or 6 drops?

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50% of recommended dose: 42.8 drops

So do I dose 42 drops or 6 drops?
You just use that as a baseline since everyone's tank is different and do the math. So lets say you want to reduce PO4 by 0.5ppm. In 10 gals 6 drops will do this. So for YOUR tank 75/10 is 7.5 so you need to add 7.5x of that dose to get the same reduction which would be 45 drops (6 drops x 7.5). If you add DOUBLE that amount, you would reduce PO4 by twice as much, or 1ppm which 90 drops would achieve. If you only need to reduce 0.25ppm you would add about 23 drops. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
L

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand this part at all...what does 10 gallons of water have to do with my 75 gal tank?

You just use that as a baseline since everyone's tank is different and do the math.

Actually that is the baseline as stated by the manufacturer, and the calculator I wrote does the math for you to figure out the dose based on your tank size (compared to 10 gallons) and how much you want to drop your phosphates (compared to 0.5 ppm).

So if you entered 75 gallons as your tank size and your current/desired phosphate levels, the calculator is telling you to use 43 drops for a half dose, or 86 drops for a full dose.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that is the baseline as stated by the manufacturer, and the calculator I wrote does the math for you to figure out the dose based on your tank size (compared to 10 gallons) and how much you want to drop your phosphates (compared to 0.5 ppm).

So if you entered 75 gallons as your tank size and your current/desired phosphate levels, the calculator is telling you to use 43 drops for a half dose, or 86 drops for a full dose.
I stand corrected, I forgot this was based on a custom calculator, apologies.

Hoffius, IN GENERAL though that's how you would find your particular dose. Most manufacturs list how much X drops of Y will increase/decrease Z parameter in __ amount of water, if that makes sense lol

Hoffius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just use that as a baseline since everyone's tank is different and do the math. So lets say you want to reduce PO4 by 0.5ppm. In 10 gals 6 drops will do this. So for YOUR tank 75/10 is 7.5 so you need to add 7.5x of that dose to get the same reduction which would be 45 drops (6 drops x 7.5). If you add DOUBLE that amount, you would reduce PO4 by twice as much, or 1ppm which 90 drops would achieve. If you only need to reduce 0.25ppm you would add about 23 drops. Hope this helps.
Thanks so much. I'm really not that dumb So with my tank

I'm only supposed to a lower by .5 a day right? So if I need to do total 90 drops, that would lower it by 1, so the recommended dose of 50% would actually be the max dose essentially right?

OP
OP
L

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. I'm really not that dumb So with my tank

I'm only supposed to a lower by .5 a day right? So if I need to do total 90 drops, that would lower it by 1, so the recommended dose of 50% would actually be the max dose essentially right?

Right, Blue Life recommends not dropping more that 0.5 ppm in one day. So if overall you need to drop by more than that, then you could just enter 75 gallons and use 0.5 ppm as your current phosphate and 0 ppm as your desired phosphate, and the calculated full dose should be the max number of drops to use in one day.

Hoffius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, Blue Life recommends not dropping more that 0.5 ppm in one day. So if overall you need to drop by more than that, then you could just enter 75 gallons and use 0.5 ppm as your current phosphate and 0 ppm as your desired phosphate, and the calculated full dose should be the max number of drops to use in one day.
OK I think I got it lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

0.5 ppm in one day??? That seems crazy high to me.

OP
OP
L

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI I just added CaribSea PhosBuster Pro™ to the calculator. So now the list includes:

Blue Life™ Phosphate Rx™
Brightwell® Aquatics Phosphat-E
Two Little Fishies PhosBan®-L
Acrylic Tank Manufacturing Agent Green™
CaribSea PhosBuster Pro™

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larry you are a Godsend amigo. Been trying to get this for a while. Could you do the same for the Seaklear Phosphate remover? Here's hoping the photos are clear.
beda9b0713e30bfefaf5fc58e0993d53.jpg
0b525558390ae4347aa7ad28d773da0a.jpg
badea2ad6851184cb782e5f87bac5708.jpg
That is super potent. I was debating to use that, but then trying to dial the dosage would be a nightmare for me. I use the two fishes version. mix it up as the directions say, use Larrys calculator. I made about 100 ml and hooked it up to my dosing pump. Don't intent to use everything.

OP
OP
L

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI I just added Anti-Phosphate HTH (French packaging) to the calculator. So now the list includes:

Blue Life™ Phosphate Rx™
CaribSea PhosBuster Pro™
Anti-Phosphate HTH (French packaging)

miggs76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
L

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI I just added Tropic Marin® Elimi-Phos Rapid to the calculator. So now the list includes:

Blue Life™ Phosphate Rx™
CaribSea PhosBuster Pro™
Tropic Marin® Elimi-Phos Rapid

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI I just added Tropic Marin® Elimi-Phos Rapid to the calculator. So now the list includes:

Blue Life™ Phosphate Rx™
CaribSea PhosBuster Pro™
Tropic Marin® Elimi-Phos Rapid
Thanks Larry, the calculator is awesome!

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just repeat that I'm not a fan of this calculator due to the assumptions that it must make. The real value of lanthanum needed to attain a given phosphate value will be higher.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back