Little hunters: What are the top small predator fish?

What are the top small predator fish?

• Banded Hawkfish

Votes: 27 14.7%
  • Barchin Scorpionfish

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Dwarf Lionfish

Votes: 92 50.0%
  • Dwarf Moray Eel

Votes: 54 29.3%
  • Longspine Waspfish

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • Orange Banded Stingfish

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 40 21.7%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Often when we think about predator fish, we think about tank busters and huge mouths, but what about the smaller predators that could do well in a 55-gallon tank or even in a nano tank? There are some little ones that are hunters so today let’s talk about them. What small predators have you kept or are familiar with? Can they be kept with corals? What about tank mates? Maybe you're not familiar with some of the fish in the poll - I encourage you to take the time to use the R2R search feature and explore these small predators. Please share your opinions and experiences with small predator fish in the comments that follow!

Anarcha0s_lionfish.jpeg

Photo by @Anarcha0s

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Often when we think about predator fish, we think about tank busters and huge mouths, but what about the smaller predators that could do well in a 55-gallon tank or even in a nano tank? There are some little ones that are hunters so today let’s talk about them. What small predators have you kept or are familiar with? Can they be kept with corals? What about tank mates? Maybe you're not familiar with some of the fish in the poll - I encourage you to take the time to use the R2R search feature and explore these small predators. Please share your opinions and experiences with small predator fish in the comments that follow!

Anarcha0s_lionfish.jpeg

Photo by @Anarcha0s
No one can ever compete with the king!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have personally never owned a fish that one would consider a predator before. Cool fish though!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasps and scorps are awesome. I have some in every tank.

IMG_8324.JPG

IMG_7123.JPG

IMG_8146.JPG
How’s the puffer with the wasps? I would have thought most puffers would be a risk to a long finned, slow fish unless this is a more mild species (or marine puffers aren’t total jerks like the freshwater ones).

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had predator freshwater fish(even Angelfish-seeing my adult Angels hunt down tetras :astonished-face: ). Pretty new to salt, but I’d love to have a lion fish someday. Dangerously majestic.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your definition of little, these little guys, max size in captivity around 3" are deadly, quick little hunters, the pygmy red rooster waspfish. There are other very quick, deadly small scorpionfish that will reach about 4", like the yellow spotted scorp. Is this guy still small at 6.5", look at this beast, a male red fuzzy lion.

1676916109024.png

1676916399404.png

1676916448809.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another scorp, the barbfish which will max out at about 4.5"; with the holy grail of ambush predators, the rhino. Most if not all of the available scorps, including the rhino, which will get about 7" in captivity, will be happy in a 55g. The challenge for most hobbyist will be, there would be few other fish that can live in a 55g that would not be food.

1676916982433.png

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice yellow spot! What do you have him eating?
It eats frozen and massive amounts of amphipods lol.

How’s the puffer with the wasps? I would have thought most puffers would be a risk to a long finned, slow fish unless this is a more mild species (or marine puffers aren’t total jerks like the freshwater ones).
No issues with the puffers. They are checkered puffers collected in FL. I do expect issues when they get bigger, but the wasps just act slow. They are actually very fast fish and can disappear in an instant.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back