Live aquaria new DOA process

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while since I ordered from Live Aquaria, always had good luck with them. One of my fish was DOA, I took a pic and sent them an email, and my kids flushed to the fish.

They responded back asking more photos and to fill out a form. I am kicking myself but in the past I just sent an email.

I am bummed but not flaming LiveAquaria, what they asked for is not unreasonable. I just did not know the process had changed. Maybe others already knew about the new requirements but I figured I would share so nobody else gets surprised.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while since I ordered from Live Aquaria, always had good luck with them. One of my fish was DOA, I took a pic and sent them an email, and my kids flushed to the fish.

They responded back asking more photos and to fill out a form. I am kicking myself but in the past I just sent an email.

I am bummed but not flaming LiveAquaria, what they asked for is not unreasonable. I just did not know the process had changed. Maybe others already knew about the new requirements but I figured I would share so nobody else gets surprised.
Yes, they changed that awhile ago and also they don't refund now; they give you store credit for future use.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Never had them ask me to fill out a form for a death and I just reported one last week. How long have you been a customer? These things seem to depend a lot on that, and how much you spend there

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Never had them ask me to fill out a form for a death and I just reported one last week. How long have you been a customer? These things seem to depend a lot on that, and how much you spend there

I have been a customer for a very long time. 10 years? A long long time, I don’t remember exactly. I wouldn’t dare to add up how much $ I have spent over the years.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Significant changes recently due to their being purchased by Petco, none of them pro-customer.
This occurred long after Petco bought them. It’s getting pretty old hearing how rotten live aquaria is and blaming it on being bought by Petco. What are your personal experiences with them? I’m not talking about things you’ve heard.
I think @LiveAquaria does amazing and I think most of us use their web content for fish compatability and specimen requirements.

People need to quit bashing them just because they were bought by Petco.

My local Petco is horrible for saltwater fish but I love LA. Why do we bash one because of another?

Those of you that love LA go to this thread and tell them how great they are. No, I’m not affiliated.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refund-credit policy changed a while ago ..... maybe a year, maybe less. Petco bought LA in 2015 ... a useful data point for those susceptible to conspiracy theories. I liked the old policy better, though it was an outlier. All of the online places had required photos and gave store credit. Frankly, I find the box charge more annoying ....

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's going to be more like the airlines, how much have you spent in the last year. Sorry that happened to you, but I'll remember this in the future, just in case. Pretty easy to ziplock them and put them in the freezer just in case.
What they require is not outrageous. It’s just new and some people don’t know the policy changed.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Credit refund only + non refundable bagging fee + increase in minimum for free ship from $99 to 149 all at once was too much for me. I'd still be a customer otherwise. Now I just have my local Petco special order it for me instead.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While I definitely applaud you for your measured response, this reminds me of a story from working in an outpatient pharmacy...

So often-times insurance companies will balk at covering a prescription, something like “Oh your doctor wrote for you to take this medication three times per day? We only cover this medication twice per day... so you and/or your doctor need to fill out these forms.” One of the pharmacists explained to me something called “the rule of seven.” Basically that every time the insurance companies give a patient/doc another form to fill out, 1 in 7 people will just go away, saving them money.

So when I hear that your fish arrived DOA, and that you took one photo and promptly contacted them, but then reasonably disposed of the dead creature... only to be asked for “more photos,” I don’t think “Oh they must have changed their policy...”. I think, “Oh big Petco, screwing over another customer.”

Anyways. Kudos for your measured/reasonable response, but IMO you would be totally justified to fight them on this, including disputing charges with your credit card company if they do not remedy the situation.

Good luck

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways. Kudos for your measured/reasonable response, but IMO you would be totally justified to fight them on this, including disputing charges with your credit card company if they do not remedy the situation.
Maybe that quote was meant for me?

LA didn’t hide anything. It’s all there on their site to review. They were not deceptive in any way. The OP hadn’t ordered in a while and didn’t check to see the conditions had changed. Mistakes happen and I too hope they are credited for the DOA.

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, good news! LA emailed again saying they would make an exception and provide the credit based on my DOA picture but going forward to use their new process and claim form. Honestly, I think this is more than fair.

Re: some of comments above. I wish this hadn’t turned to an LA bashing thread. As I said before, their new process is not unreasonable. I just wanted people to know about it.

That said, I agree that since Petco took over some of the previously unbelievable customer centered policies have eroded. It might have happened anyway under DFS ownership but we naturally blame Petco. LA policies used to be very generous, it was amazing; however, I want LA & Divers Den in particular to be a viable business. The live stock quality and variety is good. If they are not reasonably profitable, petco will simply shut it down and we have one less option.

Oh ya, the box charge is very 2002. Most places have long done away with fees like that. Just raise the price of everything a few bucks instead!

Cheers.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, good news! LA emailed again saying they would make an exception and provide the credit based on my DOA picture but going forward to use their new process and claim form. Honestly, I think this is more than fair.

Re: some of comments above. I wish this hadn’t turned to an LA bashing thread. As I said before, their new process is not unreasonable. I just wanted people to know about it.
So glad it worked out for you. Live Aquaria is awesome!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This occurred long after Petco bought them. It’s getting pretty old hearing how rotten live aquaria is and blaming it on being bought by Petco. What are your personal experiences with them? I’m not talking about things you’ve heard.
I think @LiveAquaria does amazing and I think most of us use their web content for fish compatability and specimen requirements.

People need to quit bashing them just because they were bought by Petco.

My local Petco is horrible for saltwater fish but I love LA. Why do we bash one because of another?

Those of you that love LA go to this thread and tell them how great they are. No, I’m not affiliated.

I've had years worth of personal experience with them, thanks. And of course it didn't happen immediately after Petco took over. Do you not understand how corporate takeovers work? And no one is bashing them 'just because' they were bought by Petco. We're criticizing their very obvious changes that don't benefit customers, no matter what the cause. If you want to think it's not because they were bought by a large corporate pet store, go ahead, but you're wrong.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back