Live Food Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nutrition' started by leahfiish, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Myka

Myka Valuable Member

Minced...the biggest pieces are 1/8" and the smallest are basically liquified. The gelatin binds it all. I put it in freezer bags and roll it out to 1/4" flat packs. For feeding I break off a day's worth and thaw it in the fridge. I use a baby spoon (nice small size) to half squish the food and half chop it. Dump it in. Corals and small fish eat the fines. The amount of gelatin compared to the total food weight is important...note the ratio.

Wrangy and sundog101 like this.

2. Wrangy

Wrangy Well-Known Member

Fantastic! That you so much Myka :)

Myka likes this.
  3. Maximizer

Maximizer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I don't have the pleasure to be close to the ocean or let alone a lfs, are there any suggestions for live food that I could get fairly easily? The only thing I could think of are baby earth worms from the bait shop or I could order some red Wiggler's. I would like to feed some live food to offer variety. As of right now I only feed lrs.

4. mcarroll

mcarroll Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Good video. I've never heard of this dude before.

5. Emery

Emery Active Member

Great thread! I am currently mulling the idea of cultivating my own phyto, rotifers and pods for my new 120g build. I found some nice 3g clear plastic jugs with spigots. Was thinking of getting 6, 2 for each culture. I want to run one air pump with a gang valve splitter for the six jugs. What size air pump would I want for a culture that size?

leahfiish likes this.
  6. WandaMay

WandaMay Member

Paul b How do you seperate those tiny white worms from the soil? I got a starter batch and the worms did great. I am storing them in a Styrofoam box I stole from lfs. I keep them in my 8 year old sons room-he loves it lol I feed them and scoop them out but they are so small it takes me 30 min or more to try to rinse the soil off and lose probably 50 percent of the little buggers.

mcarroll likes this.
  7. Paul B

Paul B Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

My worms used to love saltless crackers, so I would put in a cracker, the worms would cover it and I would remove them. Now they got high class and don't like crackers any more. But after a while, you get so many worms that they clump up on the sides of the box and you scoop them up. Before that happens I just remove a clump of dirt that is loaded with worms and put it in a container. Keep filling it with tap water and after a few seconds, the worms sink and I pour off the soil. Eventually you are left with just worms and some large pieces of sticks and things that made up the soil. The worms stay on top of whats left and I suck the worms off that with a baster

8. Greenstreet.1

Greenstreet.1 Valuable Member

I feed black worms I just cleaned out a 20g today to start pods and just read about the white worms with Mr. Paul B so I’ll be starting that soon also.

mcarroll and leahfiish like this.
  9. lapin

lapin Active Member

Just got my first fish for the new tank. 6 cardinals. Very small sized fish are in QT now. They were not very interested in the frozen food. The min I fired up the brine shrimp hatching cone everything changed. They now come running when they see me. Live foods are the best. Im currently raising stuff for the new tank and its occupants. Roti, Pods, Phyto, White Worms, and the brine shrimp. I need to get Paul to send me a pail of fresh bay pods :))))))

code4, mcarroll and norfolkgarden like this.
  10. Clownfish2

Clownfish2 Member

Here are my copepod cultures, tigrioupus californicus:

Salinity 1.025
    Temperature 73-76 no heater
    Air pump: low to medium bubbles
    Food: feed live nannochloropsis, BRS reef chili, spirulina powder.

Just began culturing brown algae isochrysis Galbana.

8B988665-DC48-4625-8EB7-4FBDF0A76E11.jpeg

F43340C5-FB0D-418F-A105-E54EA2BA8545.jpeg

Note all the tiny nauplii:
    D4DCBF85-9460-46EE-92B0-CD4B0F62ECEB.jpeg

Paul B, mcarroll and Tristren like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted