Live Mysis Shrimp Everywhere!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
963D5BBB-EDAB-427E-B6B4-2BF2491D32F3.jpeg
I have several different varieties of hitchhiker micro-crustaceans inhabiting my macroalgae aquarium (Copepods, Amphipods, Munnid Isopods, Mysis). However, I am surprised just how prevalent the Mysis shrimp are. If I simply stare at a tiny section of my rockwork or Sea lettuce for 5 seconds, I am bound to spot a Mysid, no matter the time of day. How common is this?
I know this can partially be explained by the lack of fish in my tank (still getting the system established), but I wanted to hear your thoughts.
Also, my Copepod population is “rather low.” Could the Mysis shrimp be eating the Copepods (possibly another reason why the Mysids are so prevalent)?

lynaea75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a refugium with mysis living in it for a while. When I rearranged the tank I realized they were also living in one of the rock structures in the DT. There were fish in the tank but the rock provided enough coverage for the mysis to live and multiply.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where'd you get that quality quality live rock
It was all LFS rock, which I assume mostly originated from the Indo-Pacific when wild live rock was more popular (the Mysids might have gotten into the rock long after collection, however). Said LFS was All About Fish in Pleasant Hill, California… which permanently closed a few days ago :(.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a mandarin, it will help control the issue...
I don't recommend doing this. Once/if the mandarin eats all the mysis, then the OP will have to start a copepod farm so he can continue to feed it live fish.

Usually, getting fish to solve a "problem" will usually create more problems. ;)

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin is been in the 140 for over a year, eats frozen mysis and also will eat it from a turkey baster...
I'm just saying, that usually, getting a mandarin just for the sole purpose of eating live mysis isn't a good idea. :)

If the OP was going to get a mandarin anyway, then yes, it's a great idea.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just saying, that usually, getting a mandarin just for the sole purpose of eating live mysis isn't a good idea. :)

If the OP was going to get a mandarin anyway, then yes, it's a great idea.
I understand what your saying, I just thought "wheattoast" from what he/she wrote did not like the mysis shrimp living in his tank rock etc and was asking how to get rid of them or at least control them since he/she was concerned about his pod population being harmed....?

lynaea75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
963D5BBB-EDAB-427E-B6B4-2BF2491D32F3.jpeg
I have several different varieties of hitchhiker micro-crustaceans inhabiting my macroalgae aquarium (Copepods, Amphipods, Munnid Isopods, Mysis). However, I am surprised just how prevalent the Mysis shrimp are. If I simply stare at a tiny section of my rockwork or Sea lettuce for 5 seconds, I am bound to spot a Mysid, no matter the time of day. How common is this?
I know this can partially be explained by the lack of fish in my tank (still getting the system established), but I wanted to hear your thoughts.
Also, my Copepod population is “rather low.” Could the Mysis shrimp be eating the Copepods (possibly another reason why the Mysids are so prevalent)?
When I had them I was feeding phyto and coral foods pretty heavily, I assumed they were eating those. But could be a food chain with the smaller pods.

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them too all over my sump (probably hundreds and they’re always spawning). They do eat pods or at least outcompete pods I believe, since I have very few pods left where their population density is the highest. Pod numbers started out high and rapidly decreased as mysid shrimp numbers increased.

They’re cool little creatures. Mine came in with Florida live rock.

Even with fish, some will survive in your display. I have a mandarin and still see them in my display tank after the lights go out.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great rocks! So purple!
I first noticed mysis in my tank a few months back after picking up some corals at the lfs. There were a few at first, thought they could be baby peppermint shrimp. Then as the days/weeks went by there were hundreds. Still everywhere I look they are everywhere.
They are carnivores and will eat the pods in the tank.
My clownfish and goby have done almost nothing to remove them (though they are no longer multiplying). They first showed up during a fallow which probably helps why they are prevalent in there.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, beautiful rock, and second, free food! No reason to be concerned about it. What fish do you have in there?
Thank you! Currently, I have no fish. See below for more details.
Also, here is a bonus photo:
C2EEEF29-AFCB-4F48-B62D-F960DFD6A21F.jpeg

I don't recommend doing this. Once/if the mandarin eats all the mysis, then the OP will have to start a copepod farm so he can continue to feed it live fish.

Usually, getting fish to solve a "problem" will usually create more problems. ;)
I considered a captive-bred Synchiropus picturatus that would be accustomed to eating dry food, but I ultimately decided against it a few months ago. My future stocking list now looks like this:
Chromis cyanea (x1)
Chromis viridis (x1)
Ecsenius stigmatura (x1)
Elactinus oceanops (x2)
Gobiesox punctulatus (x1)

I understand what your saying, I just thought "wheattoast" from what he/she wrote did not like the mysis shrimp living in his tank rock etc and was asking how to get rid of them or at least control them since he/she was concerned about his pod population being harmed....?
It is so entertaining, watching those Mysids zoom around! A few Copepods manage to survive, so I can enjoy them both. I have begun dosing Kent Marine PhytoPlex, so hopefully the Copepods rebound. The Mysids also do not seem to bother my other pods (Amphipods and Munnid Isopods).

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
After having dosed Kent Marine PhytoPlex on Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday (today), my Copepod population has finally begun to establish itself in my refugium, despite the large numbers of Mysis shrimp present there. I will stick with this dosing regimen.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back