Live phytoplankton

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of a sudden live phytoplankton has become then cure all. Non stop posts and rehash of decade old posts springing to new life with hardened faces of curing dinos, cyano, gha, even bryopsis!

But wait, there is more. Recent trends are showing it also consumes po3 and no3, so throw away all your cheato, turns scrubbers, vibrant and embrace live phytoplankton!

I even hear it might cure ich and velvet and uronema!!

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be easier and cheaper just to add a few drops of guillards f2 into the aquarium.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's an evolution of our hobby. Now that we can basically strip our tanks of nutrients phyto has become a more viable option and the benefits are becoming more prevalent as long as you don't have a severe nutrient problem. I'm not so sure about it replacing a nutrient export. There still needs to be an export.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. The only thing is that the “live” from most of the sources are half dead on arrival or 3 days in the fridge yet I still order it:)

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also noticed this wave of phyto enthusiasm. So much so that I am thinking about ordering some live.
C'mon Scott.... youre one of the more clear minded ppl on here.

You don't order phyto and dose what was sent to you. That stuff is likely past 30 days and mostly dead

You order a home brewing kit and brew your own phyto. A large enough batch to dose for the week.

At the end of the week have enough phyto leftover to start a new batch for next week. And so on and so on. Always having live cultivation to dose

It's so easy our 10yr old reefer, Uriah The Turtle could master it

Last edited:

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C'mon Scott.... youre one of the more clear minded ppl on here.

You don't order phyto and dose what was sent to you. That stuff is likely past 30 days and mostly dead

You order a home brewing kit and brew your own phyto. A large enough batch to dose for the week.

At the end of the week have enough phyto leftover to start a new batch for next week. And so on and so on. Always having live cultivation to dose

It's so easy our 10yr old reefer, Uriah The Turtle could master it

I just wish I had the spare…

Back