Live rock and aptasia

Jason_Mack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 180-gallon DT and an existing 75 gallon. I wanted to move some of my live rock & corals to the new DT but they are covered in Aptasia. (Aptasia X was a big fail...)

I will be saving my coral by carefully removing it from my live rock and transferring it to my DT. My first thought is to take the coral off but how do I kill the aptasia and not my live rock; is that even possible?

My other issue is my 75 gallon is going to become our new seahorse tank and I can't have ANY aptasia or it will sting them. I plan to take everything out (including the sand) and clean it since we will need to have new aquascape for the seahorses. I have some Marine Pure and a live rock in my sump that I will use to restart my ecosystem. Also, it will be a dedicated seahorse & invertebrates only tank, so no worries about coral growth.

I read about boiling ROTI water and placing the live rock in there? I do have Zoes on some of the live rock, but I would rather be safe than have to fight this battle again.

Question: What is the most effective way to eradicate Aptasia in a new tank?
I will put peppermint shrimp in my tank, but I would prefer to start out fresh.
Thanks!

Nikki Polley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 180-gallon DT and an existing 75 gallon. I wanted to move some of my live rock & corals to the new DT but they are covered in Aptasia. (Aptasia X was a big fail...)

I will be saving my coral by carefully removing it from my live rock and transferring it to my DT. My first thought is to take the coral off but how do I kill the aptasia and not my live rock; is that even possible?

My other issue is my 75 gallon is going to become our new seahorse tank and I can't have ANY aptasia or it will sting them. I plan to take everything out (including the sand) and clean it since we will need to have new aquascape for the seahorses. I have some Marine Pure and a live rock in my sump that I will use to restart my ecosystem. Also, it will be a dedicated seahorse & invertebrates only tank, so no worries about coral growth.

I read about boiling ROTI water and placing the live rock in there? I do have Zoes on some of the live rock, but I would rather be safe than have to fight this battle again.

Question: What is the most effective way to eradicate Aptasia in a new tank?
I will put peppermint shrimp in my tank, but I would prefer to start out fresh.
Thanks!
Hi
Peppermint shrimp should do it. And if you want you can add a copper and however once the apatasia is gone, you'll have to give it back to shop if it doesn't eat frozen or live mysis, as it will starve.

Nikki Polley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Peppermint shrimp should do it. And if you want you can add a copper and however once the apatasia is gone, you'll have to give it back to shop if it doesn't eat frozen or live mysis, as it will starve.
A copper band

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree...DO NOT BOIL YOUR ROCKS WITH ZOAS!! This could be very dangerous.

If anyone can invent a fail proof way to eradicate aptasia - they will be RICH. I have been fighting this fight for almost a year now and have tried everything. The only thing that seems to work is trapping them in the rock with glue or putty. Aptasia X just seems to make them angry and Joes Juice does nothing. I had great success with a Klein's Butterfly but they will start to eat the other coral once the aptasia is pulled back. Good luck! An all seahorse tank sounds amazing.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree...DO NOT BOIL YOUR ROCKS WITH ZOAS!! This could be very dangerous.

If anyone can invent a fail proof way to eradicate aptasia - they will be RICH. I have been fighting this fight for almost a year now and have tried everything. The only thing that seems to work is trapping them in the rock with glue or putty. Aptasia X just seems to make them angry and Joes Juice does nothing. I had great success with a Klein's Butterfly but they will start to eat the other coral once the aptasia is pulled back. Good luck! An all seahorse tank sounds amazing.
My CBB is a savage on Aiptasia! I wasn't sure it was the CBB eating them at first, but the other day I moved a Zoa rock from a tank I was tearing down and doing a rebuild on. The rock has a number of Aiptasia on it. I put it in my 120 tank with my CBB, and immediately it went in on the rock and started tearing apart the Aiptasia. A day later and I can't see a single one on the rock.

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one of the peroxide threads someone said that they injected aptasia directly with a syringe. Might be someone worth looking into.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back