Live Rock From Local Beach/Waterfront?

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question is, where are you located? In places like Florida, it's illegal to collect rock entirely. Other locations might be polluted enough that I'd personally never consider putting them in the tank...
Is it illegal to get like an ounce of rock?

tjclapp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, new here.

I looked around and couldn't find a definitive answer on the forums so far (maybe I overlooked something, forgive me in advance) but I was wondering if I were to take a few rocks from the local waterfront what I would need to do in order to clean them/disinfect them before using them in my own tank?

I say clean/disinfect because I imagine without looking it wouldn't be wise to just take a piece of live rock out of nature and put it directly into my tank.

PS - Forgive me as well if this isn't proper etiquette in the hobby world, I am still new and haven't had much time to research as much as I would like. Hope everyone is having a wonderful Holiday season thus far!

-Sneeqie

Most likely, it is illegal. But would be cool!

Gorgar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question is, where are you located? In places like Florida, it's illegal to collect rock entirely. Other locations might be polluted enough that I'd personally never consider putting them in the tank...
Sorry to comment on an old post, but I was kinda planning on going diving in west palm beach in the next month or so, I also happen to be cycling a 220 right now with dry rock and a bacteria in a bottle and would love to get some diversity in the tank! Is this completely illegal/unethical?

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to comment on an old post, but I was kinda planning on going diving in west palm beach in the next month or so, I also happen to be cycling a 220 right now with dry rock and a bacteria in a bottle and would love to get some diversity in the tank! Is this completely illegal/unethical?
Rocks from the beach itself are illegal but I think it depends on the size but if it’s a plane looking rock then I think you should be fine. Even a tiny rock will get good bacteria in a tank!

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NEVER put anything from the ocean in my tank regardless of how or how much you clean it. Why take the chance? Just buy some nice dry rock and you won't have to worry about it.

Gorgar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NEVER put anything from the ocean in my tank regardless of how or how much you clean it. Why take the chance? Just buy some nice dry rock and you won't have to worry about it.
Just to get that good natural biodiversity, I've read where many people say having a diverse culture helps fight off unwanted diseases and other nasty things better than just a tank cycled with dry rock and bottle bacteria

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back