Live Rock From Local Beach/Waterfront?

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by sneeqie, Nov 27, 2017.

1. sneeqie

sneeqie New Member

Hello all, new here.

I looked around and couldn't find a definitive answer on the forums so far (maybe I overlooked something, forgive me in advance) but I was wondering if I were to take a few rocks from the local waterfront what I would need to do in order to clean them/disinfect them before using them in my own tank?

I say clean/disinfect because I imagine without looking it wouldn't be wise to just take a piece of live rock out of nature and put it directly into my tank.

PS - Forgive me as well if this isn't proper etiquette in the hobby world, I am still new and haven't had much time to research as much as I would like. Hope everyone is having a wonderful Holiday season thus far!

-Sneeqie

2. S-t-r-e-t-c-h

S-t-r-e-t-c-h Active Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

First question is, where are you located? In places like Florida, it's illegal to collect rock entirely. Other locations might be polluted enough that I'd personally never consider putting them in the tank...

3. AlexStinson

AlexStinson Plankton R2R Supporter

+1 on checking legality. My tank is mainly made of rock I foraged, but it had to be 100% dead rock from the beach, couldn't have living organisms on it.

4. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Jack of All Trades, Masters in One R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

First off, welcome to R2R!

As far as taking rocks from the local waterfront, my main concern would be the legality of such an act. I would check with local law enforcement first to see if you would even be able to lawfully collect the rock. Here in Florida I believe we are not allowed to collect any natural rock in substantial quantities without a permit, some rocks, such as the worm rocks on the east coast, are protected and you can be fined heavily for taking home a large piece or breaking up larger rocks.

Disinfecting the rock may be tricky, do you know what kind of rock it is? If it's fairly porous it may take longer to clean out any potential nasty substances but if it is not so porous you could probably get away with a good brushing.

5. vertigo01

vertigo01 Active Member

X4 on checking the legality issue.

Assuming it is legal to procure your live rock.
    How far from the local municipal effluent discharge is the rock?
    How deep under the surface is sId rock?
    Are there any marinas close by?
    Place frequented by boaters?

IMHO, creating an oil slick or introducing harmful chemical to your tank, is not worth it.

6. Roggio

Roggio Active Member Tampa Bay Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor

You would be amazed what survives the cleaning and disinfecting process. Do you plan on bleaching or doing sulfuric acid? If you’re in Florida I have a good amount of rock I can give you

7. PatW

PatW Well-Known Member

Collecting your own rock means you have absolutely no idea of the pollutants that might be in it. Also, for live rock, you want porous limestone. There are a number of vendors who sell quality porous dry limestone for reef aquariums. Sure it costs some but not that much. Think of the cost associated with killing a bunch of fish.

8. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I'd drop it in a peroxide dip like we do coral to get rid of some crabs and shrimp and then a bucket of salt water for a bit. For die off.

Or I might just toss it in the tank.

9. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

If it isn't too big, toss it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Nothing survives that.

sneeqie and 40B Knasty like this.
  10. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Eww. Also a rock can pop from uneven heating.
    Thermal shock

11. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Guess I've been lucky.

sneeqie and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  12. SDReefer

SDReefer Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I wouldn't put a rock in a microwave - it could explode if there are gases trapped inside

sneeqie likes this.
  13. saltyfilmfolks

I have some that's from just between SD and Catalina btw.
    It did come to to me dry.

SDReefer likes this.
  14. sneeqie

sneeqie New Member

I am in Miami, Florida.. so I guess that cancels that out.

What about random rocks from state parks, not actual live rock?

I am more than likely going to ask the gentleman below who offered rocks to work something out and use those since I am in Florida.

Yes, it seems it is in fact illegal to some extent when it comes to organisms.

Thanks Nathaniel for the warm welcome!
    It is just red rock from the side of the seawall, not sure what you would call it but not very porous.

I wasn't sure, just an idea that came to mind and figured I would use it as my first post as I am new to all of this.

I am in Miami, how would we go about exchanging information - through private message or? Message me if so and thank you for the offer!

15. saltyfilmfolks

Check the local fish and game web sites.

16. Dancingmad

Dancingmad Active Member

I have nothing to add that hasn't been said except for the fact that if I attempted to put anything reef-tank related in the microwave it would probably be "Exhibit A" in the divorce proceedings.

17. sde1500

sde1500 Active Member

Do it when the SO isn't home duh

Armyrec1 likes this.
  18. flsalty

flsalty Active Member

When it was legal to take some rock here I would just put in in my tank. I didn't see any point in killing live rock.

Check out construction sites. They dig up plenty of coral rock. Then just clean it and cure it like any dry rock. I scaped a 55 like that once. The only time I ever used dry rock. I've been eyeing a huge piece of swiss cheese coral that's been sitting by my mailbox for over 20 years, but I think it would be too much work to get all the organics out of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted