Live Rock From Local Beach/Waterfront?

sneeqie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, new here.

I looked around and couldn't find a definitive answer on the forums so far (maybe I overlooked something, forgive me in advance) but I was wondering if I were to take a few rocks from the local waterfront what I would need to do in order to clean them/disinfect them before using them in my own tank?

I say clean/disinfect because I imagine without looking it wouldn't be wise to just take a piece of live rock out of nature and put it directly into my tank.

PS - Forgive me as well if this isn't proper etiquette in the hobby world, I am still new and haven't had much time to research as much as I would like. Hope everyone is having a wonderful Holiday season thus far!

-Sneeqie

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question is, where are you located? In places like Florida, it's illegal to collect rock entirely. Other locations might be polluted enough that I'd personally never consider putting them in the tank...

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to R2R!

As far as taking rocks from the local waterfront, my main concern would be the legality of such an act. I would check with local law enforcement first to see if you would even be able to lawfully collect the rock. Here in Florida I believe we are not allowed to collect any natural rock in substantial quantities without a permit, some rocks, such as the worm rocks on the east coast, are protected and you can be fined heavily for taking home a large piece or breaking up larger rocks.

Disinfecting the rock may be tricky, do you know what kind of rock it is? If it's fairly porous it may take longer to clean out any potential nasty substances but if it is not so porous you could probably get away with a good brushing.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X4 on checking the legality issue.

Assuming it is legal to procure your live rock.
How far from the local municipal effluent discharge is the rock?
How deep under the surface is sId rock?
Are there any marinas close by?
Place frequented by boaters?

IMHO, creating an oil slick or introducing harmful chemical to your tank, is not worth it.

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be amazed what survives the cleaning and disinfecting process. Do you plan on bleaching or doing sulfuric acid? If you’re in Florida I have a good amount of rock I can give you

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collecting your own rock means you have absolutely no idea of the pollutants that might be in it. Also, for live rock, you want porous limestone. There are a number of vendors who sell quality porous dry limestone for reef aquariums. Sure it costs some but not that much. Think of the cost associated with killing a bunch of fish.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd drop it in a peroxide dip like we do coral to get rid of some crabs and shrimp and then a bucket of salt water for a bit. For die off.

Or I might just toss it in the tank.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd drop it in a peroxide dip like we do coral to get rid of some crabs and shrimp and then a bucket of salt water for a bit. For die off.

Or I might just toss it in the tank.

If it isn't too big, toss it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Nothing survives that.

OP
OP
sneeqie

sneeqie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question is, where are you located? In places like Florida, it's illegal to collect rock entirely. Other locations might be polluted enough that I'd personally never consider putting them in the tank...
I am in Miami, Florida.. so I guess that cancels that out.

What about random rocks from state parks, not actual live rock?

I am more than likely going to ask the gentleman below who offered rocks to work something out and use those since I am in Florida.

+1 on checking legality. My tank is mainly made of rock I foraged, but it had to be 100% dead rock from the beach, couldn't have living organisms on it.
Yes, it seems it is in fact illegal to some extent when it comes to organisms.

First off, welcome to R2R!

As far as taking rocks from the local waterfront, my main concern would be the legality of such an act. I would check with local law enforcement first to see if you would even be able to lawfully collect the rock. Here in Florida I believe we are not allowed to collect any natural rock in substantial quantities without a permit, some rocks, such as the worm rocks on the east coast, are protected and you can be fined heavily for taking home a large piece or breaking up larger rocks.

Disinfecting the rock may be tricky, do you know what kind of rock it is? If it's fairly porous it may take longer to clean out any potential nasty substances but if it is not so porous you could probably get away with a good brushing.
Thanks Nathaniel for the warm welcome!
It is just red rock from the side of the seawall, not sure what you would call it but not very porous.

X4 on checking the legality issue.

Assuming it is legal to procure your live rock.
I am finding it isn't. ;/

How far from the local municipal effluent discharge is the rock?
Not sure.

How deep under the surface is sId rock?
Less than a foot.

Are there any marinas close by?
Yes

Place frequented by boaters?
Boater's all the time.

IMHO, creating an oil slick or introducing harmful chemical to your tank, is not worth it.

You would be amazed what survives the cleaning and disinfecting process. Do you plan on bleaching or doing sulfuric acid? If you’re in Florida I have a good amount of rock I can give you
I wasn't sure, just an idea that came to mind and figured I would use it as my first post as I am new to all of this.

I am in Miami, how would we go about exchanging information - through private message or? Message me if so and thank you for the offer!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Miami, Florida.. so I guess that cancels that out.

What about random rocks from state parks, not actual live rock?

I am more than likely going to ask the gentleman below who offered rocks to work something out and use those since I am in Florida.

Yes, it seems it is in fact illegal to some extent when it comes to organisms.

Thanks Nathaniel for the warm welcome!
It is just red rock from the side of the seawall, not sure what you would call it but not very porous.

I wasn't sure, just an idea that came to mind and figured I would use it as my first post as I am new to all of this.

I am in Miami, how would we go about exchanging information - through private message or? Message me if so and thank you for the offer!
Check the local fish and game web sites.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing to add that hasn't been said except for the fact that if I attempted to put anything reef-tank related in the microwave it would probably be "Exhibit A" in the divorce proceedings.
Do it when the SO isn't home duh

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it was legal to take some rock here I would just put in in my tank. I didn't see any point in killing live rock.

Check out construction sites. They dig up plenty of coral rock. Then just clean it and cure it like any dry rock. I scaped a 55 like that once. The only time I ever used dry rock. I've been eyeing a huge piece of swiss cheese coral that's been sitting by my mailbox for over 20 years, but I think it would be too much work to get all the organics out of it.

JRhymer349

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole point of using live rock from the ocean is for the bacteria on it, so if that’s the reason for getting it, wouldn’t cleaning it kill all the bacteria on it that your trying to bring into the tank in the first place? Asking because I’m looking to do the same depending on if it’s legal.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole point of using live rock from the ocean is for the bacteria on it, so if that’s the reason for getting it, wouldn’t cleaning it kill all the bacteria on it that your trying to bring into the tank in the first place? Asking because I’m looking to do the same depending on if it’s legal.
We dont know where you are so we cant tell you if it is legal or not. My guess is no its not legal. What you can do is make your own. This requires some dry reef rock, a rope and a section of old fishing net. You will also need to have a friend on the water with a dock so you can hang the rocks off his dock for a month or 2.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back