Live Rock/Rock

mrbryan809

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, has everyone really purchased rock at $7-9 a pound or is there a work around.

I have a 90 Gallon and about 40 pound of live rock iv been told 1 pound per gallon but dang at $7 a pound its really killing my wallet.

Basically does anyone have a cheaper alternative

IMG_20191202_234418.jpg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy actually live rock from vendors like Tampa Bay Salt water. Live rock is your filter system for a reef tank. Get quality actual live rock and you will establish a strong bacteria system that will let you be sucessful. Going cheap on using cheap rock will cost you in money and problems down the road.

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned before, dry rock its a really nice (and safe) option. And also, if doing it with care, you can be adding it by batches, as wallet permit it, without the risk of getting a new cycle or introduce some scarry critter in your tank.
Amazon has some 40 lb box options for about $50- $60

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try your LFS. They can be cheaper on live rock. They might have bins they soak dry rock in. It will not have the diversity of real live stuff out of the ocean but might be a less expensive alternative.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try your LFS. They can be cheaper on live rock. They might have bins they soak dry rock in. It will not have the diversity of real live stuff out of the ocean but might be a less expensive alternative.
+1 on this. My lfs had both, live for 7 per pound and dry for 3. I bough 25lbs live and 40ish dry. Maybe consider a healthy mix

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my last tank purchase (currently cycling) I got 40lb of free live rock, great deal! Except for it was all covered with aptasia. So I had to kill it soaking all rock in vinegar and bleach.
Then I started my setup with 40lb of just wet rock, not live rock.... added another 40Lb of dry rock and cycle is on its way.
3 lessons for me: 1. free is not always good, 2. you don't know what you get in live rock, 3. Dry rock is good option.

ddelmonaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at this as a one time investment, when you buy a tank you typically go ham on equipment and goodies, stand, cleanliness, etc. Its worth it to do it right and not regret it down the road since you will likely not be adding any more and no further rock expenses during tank operation. +1 for dry rock being cheaper or often times it is pretty easy to find on forums locally

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 64.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back