OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill in the entire thing with soil. About half full. Put whole fatted yogurt on the bread and maybe some nutritional yeast if you have it. Wet the bread and bury it. Keep it dark. Thats it.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill in the entire thing with soil. About half full. Put whole fatted yogurt on the bread and maybe some nutritional yeast if you have it. Wet the bread and bury it. Keep it dark. Thats it.
Thanks! Just watched Dave Ramsey’s video on all of this. That’s some kinda dedication! I’ll keep mine in the basement so thy stay cool. (Like me?)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even cat food is 50x the size of a worm. I was wondering if it was something in the ingredient list. They’re pretty similar.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a cat or dog but I imagine that food stinks doesn't it?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bread doesn't have time to rot, the worms finish it off in about 2 days.

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had luck with white worms. I tried, but the culture never really took off. my food molded and very little was eaten. Maybe I need to try again.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to use whole grain bread. My worms will not eat white bread and it makes them sad. I also put yogurt on the bread and wet it, then bury it and keep the entire thing dark. I put a black towel over it and put it in a drawer, but not usually one of my wife's clothing drawers. :eek:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a few pieces in my culture to see if they go for it. They’re already chowing down on the wheat bread I put in yesterday. I only put half a piece though. Gonna get brewers yeast this weekend.

Jrainey312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy I saw this I think I'll have to try it. My fiance got me an Mandarin for Valentine's day and put it in my tank as a surprise. I'm worried about it dying due to lack of food. So all I need is a container dirt worms bread yogurt and wet it every couple days?

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul, we spoke on another forum about the culture I was starting last week. You were kind enough to offer me some worms, but I had already received my order. I was worried the first couple of days when I'd spritz the dirt to keep it wet I'd check the food and wouldn't see anything. I checked on them yesterday and finally they are eating the cat food and bread. It looks like they all swarmed on it at once, one day nothing and the next day...worm party!
I wanted to start a culture so I would have worms on hand. I feed my fish Black worms but I'm at the mercy of the lfs having them in stock and my CBB eats mostly worms.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You people keep making more work for me ! Now I want to start a culture. So the cooler temps aren't that critical? Would the fridge be too cold? It would solve the pod issue for a Mandarin I think. Also my butterfly's would like them.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy I saw this I think I'll have to try it. My fiance got me an Mandarin for Valentine's day and put it in my tank as a surprise. I'm worried about it dying due to lack of food. So all I need is a container dirt worms bread yogurt and wet it every couple days?

These are not dirt worms they are white worms don’t want you getting the wrong thing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back