OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a few pieces in my culture to see if they go for it. They’re already chowing down on the wheat bread I put in yesterday. I only put half a piece though. Gonna get brewers yeast this weekend.

Do not use Brewers Yeast. Use only Nutritional yeast. Two completely different animals.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy I saw this I think I'll have to try it. My fiance got me an Mandarin for Valentine's day and put it in my tank as a surprise. I'm worried about it dying due to lack of food. So all I need is a container dirt worms bread yogurt and wet it every couple days?

Yes. and no rap music. :eek:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya think the worms would eat a few drops of phyto as an additive on bread or would it be too salty ?

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between the white worm and Grindal worm? I don't know which one to get. One says it's needs colder temps (white worm) and the other says room temps (grindal worm)

GarrDen79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered mine, waiting for them to be shipped, eBay seller said it's been too cold to ship...

Can culture be keep at room temperature? Having a hard time finding a small fridge to fit under my dt.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whiteworms seem to live for about 5 days in salt water, just squirt them around the tank and the fish, shrimp and crabs can take their time looking for them.
If anyone lives near me I will give you a starter culture for free. Just don't get crazy, I am not giving away Grand marnier or anything like that. :rolleyes:

I wouldn’t mind, plus it gives me a chance to see your tank[emoji2][emoji2]

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just start feeding your mandarin white worms, because he looks a little skinny? Not out the door skinny.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine at the same temperature I live at. They have to live with me, I don't have to live with them. They will get over it.

I never tried grindal worms but they sound delicious.

You can come over any time you like. My mandarin is getting a little skinny. He is to big now even though he eats $9.57 worth of shrimp and worms every day but he exercises a lot. When they get to big, it's hard to get enough food into them even though they eat constantly.
His main squeeze disappeared a month ago, I am not sure if she is behind the tank. My tank looks lousy now because I am moving and the fish have to take care of it themselves. Sometimes they don't get fed so they send out for Chinese. A lot of my montipora broke from the big hermit crab falling on it. I normally glue them back but I have been to busy selling my house since Thanksgiving but the tank is presentable enough. Soon I will take everything out to move so I think I will lose my corals and some of the fish anyway. I won't be able to hatch shrimp for a while or make RO water.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah they definitely eat a lot. 500-1500 pods a day. I have mine eating on an average of 250 tigger pods a day and 1000 baby brine shrimp to feast off of in my BBS feeding station. He is a plump guy and started eating frozen brine w/ spirulina after a month and mysis after a month and half. I like the colorations on your mandarin. Yours has a goldish orange color where mine is red. And no mine is not a red mandarin.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Zack. I will try to keep as much alive as I can but when I move, there is nothing there and I can't get in to do anything until the day I move. I am not sure what the tank will do in that time. There isn't even an electrical outlet near there and just a hose for water.
I need some time to set it up so I doubt I will have a lot of livestock left which is why I am not going crazy glueing back broken corals. When big 10 year old hermit crabs fall on them, they break.

Ya think the worms would eat a few drops of phyto as an additive on bread or would it be too salty ?

Don't think to much into this and forget the phyto.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am home today if you want some worms

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any special prep required for keeping the worms alive when going out of town for a week or two?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I have gone away for 2 weeks. Just feed them first and keep them wet. Keep a cover on their container with some holes in it. It won't dry out for a long time. They will live just damp, but they like it kind of wet.
They also won't starve. I sometimes forget to feed them for a month. They yell but have very small mouths so I can't hear them.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Big G for the link. Ordered some working 90seconds! Quick, easy, and they don’t push you to buy more or fall into promotional BS!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Big G for the link. Ordered some working 90seconds! Quick, easy, and they don’t push you to buy more or fall into promotional BS!
They shipped mine in about 3-4 days via the US Mail in a heavy yellow/brown envelope with some shredded newspaper for cushion. I was worried because it was in the 20s at night and 30s day that they might freeze. And then the mail guy dropped the envelope out in my rural box by the road in 30ish degree weather. So they sat out there for a few hours. But all was well.

~ Gary

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back