• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Liveaquaria changes 14 day policy

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about whether or not this unreliability some of us are seeing is recent? How many LA supporters have bought fish in the last year?

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not found any copper in their water, but I also have heard conflicting answers from them about that.

If they had copper in the water, would it take 30 days for a fish to die from that? That's really the part that's giving me pause...why is it most of the fish die between days 21-30?

What does copper do to them? Cyanide harms the liver or kidneys I believe, which can take up to 30 days to kill. Fish won’t show any signs either. They just die suddenly. Like mine.

All of them would eat the same day I added them. They swam around and went about their business. Some died 3 - 4 days later. Most died around day 13. A few died after 14 day time.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about whether or not this unreliability some of us are seeing is recent? How many LA supporters have bought fish in the last year?
I have gotten around 15 fish from Live aquaria since May this year. Have had 1 DOA from Wisconsin biota mandarin and 1 helfrichi firefish lived about 10 weeks. Rest of them are doing great so far.

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This year starting from january till today I have purchased probably about 30 some fish from live aquaria. About 75% died in quarantine.
Most of them were purely under observation and not even medication

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This year starting from january till today I have purchased probably about 30 some fish from live aquaria. About 75% died in quarantine.
Most of them were purely under observation and not even medication
That is so strange!
It sounds like nobody else is having an issue on such a large scale as this. It always seems like maybe 1-2 fish out of a few die, if there are any deaths.

I've ordered and prophylactically treated around 10 fish through LA so far. It was spread into batches, though. I haven't lost a single fish through them (yet).

My LFS is a different story though. They'll sell you a fish right out of the bag, then there's no refunds. At least LA has a 14 day guarantee.

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed to fishy business and saltwaterfish last 3 orders and only 5% deaths. Same qt setup nothing changed.
My personal obsession is fish I got from LA looked sick small and not so active while others I received are more active healthy and better in size.

Last edited:

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed to fishy business and slatwaterfish last 3 orders and only 5% deaths. Same qt setup nothing changed.
My personal obsession is fish I got from LA looked sick small and not so active while others I received are more active healthy and better in size.
Do we know for a fact that fishy business and saltwater fish don't use Quality Marine? Or are you saying they take better care of the fish before being able to sell them?

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwaterfish box is drop shipped from a wholesaler and it's not quality marines as I have googled the address before.
Fishybiz not sure as it had their own address on the box.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwaterfish box is drop shipped from a wholesaler and it's not quality marines as I have googled the address before.
Fishybiz not sure as it had their own address on the box.
Okay...I just had no idea! Do you have any conjectures as far as what the deal with LAs mortality rate is?

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of mine had internal or external parasites on arrival. I am speculating that they might have gone through an outbreak.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of mine had internal or external parasites on arrival. I am speculating that they might have gone through an outbreak.
Interesting.

Can you share what type of fish died on you? I'd be interested to compare it to the other lists provided above. See if there were any similarities

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about whether or not this unreliability some of us are seeing is recent? How many LA supporters have bought fish in the last year?[/QUOTE

In the last two years here is a list of some in random order
Two Flame angels from Xmas Islands all perished within a week, went back and ordered two from Vanuatu and created a pair.
Chevron Tang from Xmas Islands perished in same fate, Chevron Tang from Hawaii doing great!
Four Regal Angels from Maldives doing great
Blue Face Angel from Maldives doing great
Blue Face Juvenile from Sumatra dong great getting her adult colors
Flame Wrasse Hawaii doing great
White Tail Tang doing great
Black Tang doing great
African Imperator doing great
Tail Spot Blenny doing great
Zebra and Scarlet crabs all doing well
Most fish go into more of an observation tank loaded with liverock, if I see something I can easily transfer into a medicated temporary tank. Freshwater dip and Prazi Pro bath before observation tank. I have not used copper in years.
Large Tank for Angels

bf 2-26-18.jpg

29 for everything else
wrasse in QT.JPG

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are there any other people that have shared your experience? Because by far the majority of people who order from liveaquarua are happy with their fish.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last two years here is a list of some in random order
Two Flame angels from Xmas Islands all perished within a week, went back and ordered two from Vanuatu and created a pair.
Chevron Tang from Xmas Islands perished in same fate, Chevron Tang from Hawaii doing great!
Four Regal Angels from Maldives doing great
Blue Face Angel from Maldives doing great
Blue Face Juvenile from Sumatra dong great getting her adult colors
Flame Wrasse Hawaii doing great
White Tail Tang doing great
Black Tang doing great
African Imperator doing great
Tail Spot Blenny doing great
Zebra and Scarlet crabs all doing well
Most fish go into more of an observation tank loaded with liverock, if I see something I can easily transfer into a medicated temporary tank. Freshwater dip and Prazi Pro bath before observation tank. I have not used copper in years.
Large Tank for Angels

bf 2-26-18.jpg

29 for everything else
wrasse in QT.JPG

I have had a similarly positive experience with liveaquaria. I wonder if the OP’s tank or procedures may cause the issue, rather than LA.

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have triple tank qt system. Been practicing qt and medications on fish for almost 30 yrs.
It's funny I changed vendors and survival rate goes up from 25% to 90%.
Nothing changed except vendor.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some issues with LA this year as well, significantly more than in recent memory. That said, they’ve made it right and were great to deal with.

In fairness to them, I order expert level and difficult to keep fish that are much riskier up front and have done more of that recently.

I’ve had issues with other vendors as well, it’s not isolated to LA.

I will say that my experience with bluezoo aquatics was positive and I was not previously a fan at all.

OP
OP
Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not say my overall experience with LA is bad but just recently it's been bad.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agree with this. I purchased 2 tank bred clowns, 4 tank bred azure damsels, 1 pyramid butterfly, and 1 flame hawk. The clowns, and azure damsels looked great at first, then the next day or so saw flukes on a clown. The clowns and 2 azure damsels died within a few days, and then the butterfly died. I will not ever purchase and QT tank bred and wild caught fish together again. I might try ordering fish from them again because of their guarantee and customer service was excellent. I did order a CUC that comes in on Friday. But truthfully I prefer getting critters from my LFS.

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish orders are hit and miss. But for live brine shrimp delivery: it’s 0/4 for me. Ordered 4 times at different time of the year and always receive the mushed/melted brown yucky bag of death.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back