Liveaquaria fish arrived today!

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 3 fish. 2x small black saddleback clownfish. 1x large saddleback clownfish.

Everything arrived without issue. Meaning the box was intact, all fish seemed okay. I have acclimated all fish per the floating method, per liveaquaria recommendations.

Short story; large clown is looking great dn swimming around. Small clowns are just kind of sitting on the bottom of the QT breathing but not moving that much.

I assume this is all normal for fish that have been shipped. However, this is my first experience with buying fish online. My current path is to keep lights out and monitor them.

Any thoughts? Words of wisdom from people who buy fish online?
Backstory..., two fish are for a friend and one is for me. I've been keeping marine fish for 15+yrs.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations. I have to buy all of my fish online since the nearest LFS is 2 hours away. They can be sluggish when they arrive and lights can traumatize them. You seem to be on the right track. Good Luck!

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, are you putting 3 Saddleback Clowns in the same tank?
It says at the bottom “two fish are for a friend and one is for me.”

Give them time and they’ll come around

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh. Much better plan. I was worried for a minute. Lol. Best wishes with them— I love Saddlebacks. Perfect swim pattern, like a cross between a a typical Clown and the way a ‘normal’ fish swims (linear).

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: One little guy is hanging out with large fish swimming normally. Other small one is starting to swim around slowly.

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we wait...here is my current saddleback clownfish :D

20200520_165046.jpg

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do a drip method or Match temp and salinity and dump? Fish online can accumulate ammonia in the bag. Once exposed to air it can become toxic. If they’re starting to move around they’re probably fine but just a thought for next time.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
float is to equalize temperature.
There are dozens of others, alk, salinity, etc that new livestock needs acclimating to, via drip or equvalent.

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do a drip method or Match temp and salinity and dump? Fish online can accumulate ammonia in the bag. Once exposed to air it can become toxic. If they’re starting to move around they’re probably fine but just a thought for next time.
Guess both methods are match salinity/temp and dump. I did the recommend float acclimate from liveaquaria. Float bags, add tank water etc. Remove half / repeat. This took about an hour +. I did not drip acclimation. Good info for future online orders.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess both methods are match salinity/temp and dump. I did the recommend float acclimate from liveaquaria. Float bags, add tank water etc. Remove half / repeat. This took about an hour +. I did not drip acclimation. Good info for future online orders.
You did the right thing, remove 1/2 and repeat sounds ,like it introduces the new guys to your tanks water gradually, like dripping.;)
They should be ok.

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing bag water and adding tank water is pretty similar to the drip method. Take a look at floating to match temp and then dumping the fish into a tank that matches the salinity of the shipping bags. I’ve started doing that and it has greatly increased survival rates for me. Liveaquaria ships around 1.019 unless it’s divers den.

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing bag water and adding tank water is pretty similar to the drip method. Take a look at floating to match temp and then dumping the fish into a tank that matches the salinity of the shipping bags. I’ve started doing that and it has greatly increased survival rates for me. Liveaquaria ships around 1.019 unless it’s divers den.
Yah, I matched tank salinity to liveaquaria to around 1.019. Then did the float 15 mins for temp, open bag add 1/2 cup water every 4 mins until full...the remove half bag water, then repeat. Then net into QT.

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah, I matched tank salinity to liveaquaria to around 1.019. Then did the float 15 mins for temp, open bag add 1/2 cup water every 4 mins until full...the remove half bag water, then repeat. Then net into QT.
You should be good. Clowns are pretty hardy.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back