OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night I messed around with it till about midnight, then woke up every 2 hours to check on it and went about 4 hours before one was stuck to the filter. I did some research online and came up with a video from jellyfish art that simply said turn off the filter and blow them off with a turkey baster. They had no insight on how to keep it from happening, nor did they make it sound like it was a huge deal. Maybe I am just making a bigger deal out of them getting stuck then I need to but I would not want to be stuck to the filter.
I am going to see if I can rig something up today to stop them from sticking. I was also thinking maybe I could set a timer to shut off the pump for a minute every 30 minutes so that if one gets stuck it can work its way off, as normally all I need to do it turn off the pump and they get free. I am a bit scared however that the pump that came with it would burn out pretty fast with the constant on and off.
As a side not all of them seem to be eating the dry food that comes with it, and brine shrimp with no issues!

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night I messed around with it till about midnight, then woke up every 2 hours to check on it and went about 4 hours before one was stuck to the filter. I did some research online and came up with a video from jellyfish art that simply said turn off the filter and blow them off with a turkey baster. They had no insight on how to keep it from happening, nor did they make it sound like it was a huge deal. Maybe I am just making a bigger deal out of them getting stuck then I need to but I would not want to be stuck to the filter.
I am going to see if I can rig something up today to stop them from sticking. I was also thinking maybe I could set a timer to shut off the pump for a minute every 30 minutes so that if one gets stuck it can work its way off, as normally all I need to do it turn off the pump and they get free. I am a bit scared however that the pump that came with it would burn out pretty fast with the constant on and off.
As a side not all of them seem to be eating the dry food that comes with it, and brine shrimp with no issues!
Love the idea of the pump turning off every once in a while. With the icecap gyres you can have it reverse the flow. Not sure if theirs a smaller pump that could do the same. Maybe some sort of tiny wave maker?

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a post where someone with the similar looking jellyfish art model took a 7 mesh like the one below:
1610585269212.png

and then cut it to fit under the flow bar and attach it by placing 4 suction cups and pressing it tight to the back filter.
I tried this and the results were terrible:
1610585414956.png

this stopped pretty much all flow from the return bar and 2 jellyfish got stuck almost immediately.

Just out of curiosity there is actually a slot that goes behind the filter and I already had the mesh so I cut it to fit into that slot:
1610585513204.png

So far this has actually worked!!

There is about enough room for 3 pieces of this to fit snug but when I did this the water started overflowing the top into the back chamber and I almost lot a jelly.

After installing this I had to adjust the pump once again and turn it up a little higher but so far it seems to be working!!!

I will keep you all updated with if this works or not.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after making the modification above it seems to work much better. I still had 1 get stuck but then I cut some very small strips of the same material and added 2 more behind that spot since it seems to be where they always got stuck. (will add pictures of that later) and I have not seen any get stuck since!

Also last night I set up a timer I found in the garage which allowed me to turn off the pump for 1 minute every hour from 11pm-5am I woke up this morning and none were stuck!!

If none get stuck today I might turn off the timer as I think the added material might be enough on its own, but wanted the timer last night so I could sleep better.

EpisodeMnH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been extremely interested in one of LA’s all in one jelly tanks. However, I was looking at the bigger 4 gallon version. Only thing is I need to learn more as far as the differences in maintenance between this and a regular reef tank. I already successfully run a reef tank, but obviously this is a bit different ballgame. What have you been doing as far as feeding and water changes??

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been extremely interested in one of LA’s all in one jelly tanks. However, I was looking at the bigger 4 gallon version. Only thing is I need to learn more as far as the differences in maintenance between this and a regular reef tank. I already successfully run a reef tank, but obviously this is a bit different ballgame. What have you been doing as far as feeding and water changes??
I feed live brine shrimp once a day and dry food once a day.
Brineshrimpdirect sells the following dry food which works well, I can always see it in their stomachs after a feeding:

GP 200 - 300 Micron Larval Diet​

Golden Pearl 300 - 500 Micron Artemia Transition​

I also like Brineshrimpdirect

Shell Free E-Z Egg​

With these you do not have to worry about separating shells or unhatched eggs, which to be honest I also use their premium eggs and separating is not too terrible but I do like the convince of pretty much just dumping everything into my sieve for feeding.

When I bought this tank from liveaquaria it in a description of the dried food said 300 - 500 Micron which made me wonder so I called Brineshrimpdirect and they said there are breeders that use both of the above foods dried foods for jellyfish.

I think you would be fine to just feed once a day once they get bigger as Moon Jellies only need food to grow/ maintain size.

I have the 2 gallon one and do not have ay experience with the larger one, and mind you I have not had it long yet, however about 3 times a day I clean out any left over food or anything else sitting on the bottom of the tank with a turkey baster which ends up being a little more then 10% of the water on average. They do not need a heater so I will take some water out of my main mixing container and let it sit next to this tank to replace what I suck out every day.

I have not done anything more of a water change yet, other than the practice ones I did prior and I found that doing that out of the filter of the tank was easies as I could get enough our and put water back in without causing any bubbles in the main tank.

Overall so far these have actually been a lot of work, mainly trying to figure out how to make it so they do not get stuck the the filter and saving them when they do. However I think I have that about sorted out so I am hoping to be able to just sit back and enjoy them more.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing is awesome for this tank, the one that came with it I had to put my hand in the water with this one I can reach the bottom and stay out of the water all together, it also has a slower suction so I can clean up a greater percentage of the bottom at one time:

Fluval 3-In-1 Waste Remover/Feeder - 17"​

turkey baster.jpg

I got this on sale at bigalspets for 3.99 I actually bought 2 of them since I have a few other smaller tanks and it is just long enough to reach the bottom of the other ones as well.

1610736888764.png

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The jellyfish getting stuck is still happening but about 1 time a day instead of every 30 minutes!
The screen in the back of the tank really really helped.
I decided to keep the timer running last night to turn off the tank for 1 minute every hour still since I still had a little issue but again this morning all were free swimming.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this tank is on sale again for 25% off at liveaquaria:
1611152086816.png

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this tank and Jelly Fish for a while and as an update, the small one that came split in half continues to shrink, and I think is slowly dying, the other 2 are doing great and seem to get bigger by the day.

I was somewhat concerned today as I cleaned out the sponge filter and it did not seem dirty at all, I think the filtration is lacking. I do spot feed the jellies and then clean out all extra food as soon as it hits the bottom but I still feel like when I cleaned out the sponge I should have noticed some more detritus coming out of it.

I also noticed even with the 10% or more daily water changes I am a little higher on nitrites than I want and expect to be.

I have increased it to 10% water change after every feeding.

I still really love the Jellies, but I am not sure this tank is the best design for keeping them long term. I personally do not mind the multiple water changes a day as I am always working on tanks but if this was your only tank or you are not up to constantly cleaning I do not feel you would have much luck with this set up.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the one jelly that began splitting end up dying? Or did it recover from whatever it was it was going through?

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the one jelly that began splitting end up dying? Or did it recover from whatever it was it was going through?
It has shrunk to about the size of a quarter. I try to force feed it everyday and feed it the 100 micron food which looks to stick to it, but I don't think it is going to make it.... When I asked LiveAquaria they said it should regenerate but I am not as confident.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this is now on sale for 30% off which I feel is a pretty good price! (I am in no way affiliated with liveaquaria, I am just addicted to shopping there)

1611891237589.png

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got the tank one of the jellies was separated from its bottom. It lived for about a month before shrinking to nothing. One never feed very well and always got stuck to filter before I modified it. Eventually the bottom of that one came off and it too shrank to nothing.
The one that looked healthy when we got it has at least doubled in size and is still happy and healthy.
I am wondering if I would still have all 3 if I had started with the modifications and they had sent healthy jellies to begin with.
20210220_120901.jpg

Overall I paid a decent amount of money and spent a ton of time to watch two Jellyfish shrink away. I kind of feel this tank as is does not set you up for success.....

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update I have finally found what I feel works the best for me feeding.
I take half a scoop of both:

GP 200 - 300 Micron Larval Diet​

Golden Pearl 300 - 500 Micron Artemia Transition​

From brineshrimpdirect and mix it in water from the tank and then shoot it right onto the jelly fish when it turns upside down.

This has kept the one remaining jelly very happy and he seems to have doubled in size:
jelly.jpg

I still hatch brine shrimp occasionally and even use selco to enrich them, but have transitioned to mostly using the GP diet due to the fact that is it much simpler and seems to make the one left very happy!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back