Livestock?

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of buying one fish and a cleanup crew this weekend if my paremters check out with my lfs (they won’t let me buy anything if they don’t) if so what would my options be? I already have two midnight clowns so I think those will stay. It is a 40 gal aio

CABE924E-ACD3-44D0-8902-AF11937A5208.jpeg

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a reef or FO system? That is the first thing to consider. If it is a reef, that eliminates a number of fish but there are still a ton to choose from.
I just recommended a Midas Blenny to someone else and they are one of my favorite fish. Really pretty and a good community fish that you can usually find in a decent LFS.

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a reef or FO system? That is the first thing to consider. If it is a reef, that eliminates a number of fish but there are still a ton to choose from.
I just recommended a Midas Blenny to someone else and they are one of my favorite fish. Really pretty and a good community fish that you can usually find in a decent LFS.
It will eventually be a reef. Mostly soft and lps. I don’t think my light currently is strong enough for most sps but what got me into the hobby to begin with was the zoas acans and torches etc.

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Midas blenny looks pretty cool. I may get a cleaner shrimp too I just don’t want to add too much to the bio load too fast.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are wise to go slow. I generally only add one or maybe two fish at any given time so I do not overload the tank too quickly. With the size and age of your tank I would add one fish at a time.
It is also wise to map out your stocking plan early as some fish are better if added before or after other fish that you may want.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a good lfs. I’m not much help on “practical” inhabitants. I always try to make things difficult on myself

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are wise to go slow. I generally only add one or maybe two fish at any given time so I do not overload the tank too quickly. With the size and age of your tank I would add one fish at a time.
It is also wise to map out your stocking plan early as some fish are better if added before or after other fish that you may want.
Well as of now I have the two midnight clowns I want to get either a flame angel or coral beauty a fire fish or two a watchmen of some sort and then a cleanup crew. I doubt I could add much more after that and that might be too much. What order would you recommend?

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also which would you recommend a flame angel or coral beauty in a future reef tank

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a good lfs. I’m not much help on “practical” inhabitants. I always try to make things difficult on myself
They would even set up a tank for you in your home if it’s big enough they are real good guys in there not for free of course but they always give pointers and stuff but I like to get info from multiple places that’s why I come here haha

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Midas blenny looks pretty cool. I may get a cleaner shrimp too I just don’t want to add too much to the bio load too fast.
I second the midas blenny! By far my favorite fish with the way the move and wiggle their bodies. And with that little ring of neon blue around their eyes, they're just so cool. Make sure you have a cover though. I thought it couldn't happen to me and mine jumped out and turned himself into fish jerkey. (cry face)

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the midas blenny! By far my favorite fish with the way the move and wiggle their bodies. And with that little ring of neon blue around their eyes, they're just so cool. Make sure you have a cover though. I thought it couldn't happen to me and mine jumped out and turned himself into fish jerkey. (cry face)
I got the cobalt c-vue 40 it came with a glass cover. I took the one over the back off tho because I’d forget to open it and check for evaporation haha

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it seems like a lot of saltwater fish like to jump. My buddy had a goby that loved to jump out his tank

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the Flame Angel and the Coral Beauty are considered dwarf angels and come with a caution tag for a reef. Some people have no problem with them at all, sometimes they nip certain corals. It seems to come down to the individual fish and sometimes the age or conditions of the tank. Nobody seems to know for sure, but some people say they are awesome and some say they eat their corals. Personally I prefer the more muted coral beauty instead of the bright flash of color with the flame, but that is absolutely personal opinion only.

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the Flame Angel and the Coral Beauty are considered dwarf angels and come with a caution tag for a reef. Some people have no problem with them at all, sometimes they nip certain corals. It seems to come down to the individual fish and sometimes the age or conditions of the tank. Nobody seems to know for sure, but some people say they are awesome and some say they eat their corals. Personally I prefer the more muted coral beauty instead of the bright flash of color with the flame, but that is absolutely personal opinion only.
That’s what I heard I like the coral beauties more as well. But I suppose there is only one way to find out if they’ll nip at em or not!

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of buying one fish and a cleanup crew this weekend if my paremters check out with my lfs (they won’t let me buy anything if they don’t) if so what would my options be? I already have two midnight clowns so I think those will stay. It is a 40 gal aio

CABE924E-ACD3-44D0-8902-AF11937A5208.jpeg
Nice tank! I have one Midnight Clown and one Frostbite Clown.

You said it will eventually be a reef tank. So why not an Aiptasia Eating Filefish, or a Six Line Wrasse? Useful. Pretty. And interesting to watch.

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! I have one Midnight Clown and one Frostbite Clown.

You said it will eventually be a reef tank. So why not an Aiptasia Eating Filefish, or a Six Line Wrasse? Useful. Pretty. And interesting to watch.
I like the wrasse but don’t filefish get huge?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 56 59.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.3%
Back