Livestock?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the wrasse but don’t filefish get huge?
The common Aiptasia Eating Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus) - aka the Bristle-tail Filefish - gets about 3.5 inches (12cm). And a 30 to 40 gallon tank is recommended for them on various sites as the minimum size. So should be good. Just avoid more aggressive tank mates, as these guys from everything I have seen tend to be really peaceful, to outright shy and skittish.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon AIO as well (although it's a cube) and I also started with two clownfish. Second I added a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp who paired up nicely. I really enjoy those two although be warned that the pistol shrimp is constantly moving sand around and is also prone to moving and/or burying coral frags that are lose on the sand bed. Other good fish for that tank are firefish, almost any kind of blenny (I have a bicolor blenny), royal gramma, and/or bangai cardinals. If you're wanting a wrasse, I would add them close to last as they tend to be aggressive and you'll want to stock the most aggressive fish last. All of the other fish I listed are peaceful so you can probably stock those in any order you'd like.

For cleanup crew I'd recommend trochus snails and astrea snails for algae control on the rocks and glass, nassarius snails and maybe a tiger conch for cleaning the sand bed, and if you want something interesting add a tuxedo or pincushion urchin. They can be bulldozers, knocking over unsecured frags, but they are monster algae eaters and really cool additions to the CUC imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon AIO as well (although it's a cube) and I also started with two clownfish. Second I added a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp who paired up nicely. I really enjoy those two although be warned that the pistol shrimp is constantly moving sand around and is also prone to moving and/or burying coral frags that are lose on the sand bed. Other good fish for that tank are firefish, almost any kind of blenny (I have a bicolor blenny), royal gramma, and/or bangai cardinals. If you're wanting a wrasse, I would add them close to last as they tend to be aggressive and you'll want to stock the most aggressive fish last. All of the other fish I listed are peaceful so you can probably stock those in any order you'd like.

For cleanup crew I'd recommend trochus snails and astrea snails for algae control on the rocks and glass, nassarius snails and maybe a tiger conch for cleaning the sand bed, and if you want something interesting add a tuxedo or pincushion urchin. They can be bulldozers, knocking over unsecured frags, but they are monster algae eaters and really cool additions to the CUC imo.
Are specific snails hard to find or if I go to my lfs will they just know? I will get a goby not sure about the shrimp. But I will have a cleaner for sure. As for fish watchman and either a flame angel or coral beauty. Maybe a wrasse and some fire fish but I won’t put more than 6 in unless I know for sure it would be okay.

Back