lmm1967 reef-pi build

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly 5 years ago I started messing with the idea of using Arduinos to do some tank control / automation. I was successful to the stage of being able to detect temp & control relays. No big deal, pretty easy etc.

Same thing with other stuff - controlling relays / outlets with timers, based on other measurements etc. What I never did get to the point of is successfully utilizing I2C or 1Wire or something - on arduino platform so I could do all the individual things I had accomplished - but at the same time and on the same hardware.

I even used an arduino to run a servo

My frustration led to to take the easy (for me) route and just go out and purchase a controller package. I liked reefkeeper as it was based on an open source platform - but, the stuff was just too hard to find and purchase locally so i went with the big orange stuff. It worked - and has worked pretty well for several years. I have a ton of modules running 4 salt tanks and a water mixing setup. But - there are a few minor limitations which are really big things to me (not going to go down that path as it serves no purpose - suffice it to say I want my data and I want it where I can put it and do whatever I want with it).

Recently I've delved into GHL - converted 2 tanks over to GHL - have several modules etc - and then I ran into a few issues with undocumented limitations that will never be addressed - again, maybe minor things to many people - but the limitation I ran in to, the ridiculousness of their support (umm - I paid you guys, remember? I'm allowed to tell you when something sucks and ask questions you don't like to answer) and the fact that I was going to spend yet another $1 - $2k before I was done made me pause on that path.

I've lurked at all the reef-pi threads throughout the last couple years and eagerly watched the progress - always being impressed with the tight nit community working together towards a common goal with no ulterior motives.

I've decided to just control my own destiny and if something isn't doing what I want - I can either fix it or blame myself.

So far I have:
- read a ton of course, both here and several of the instructional sites (github, adafruit, other peoples web blogs etc)
- I already have a few RPi boards - but I did dedicate a 4 (just as my testing platform and who knows what else eventually) as well as 2 Pi Zero Ws (haven't actually plugged these in yet - hopefully in the next day or so I'll get them base configured).
- Ordered a small stores worth of stuff I know I'll need (controllable power strips, temp sensors, hats, posts, box, connectors blah blah)
- Reef-Pi up and running and controlling an HS300 - manually controlling it so far - but it's doing something!

Ultimately I anticipate Reef-Pi will be running all tanks and I'll sell off a bunch of the "other" things - I very well may hang on to the testing/dosing pieces from GHL as I really like that functionality.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay :) . Super nice to see new builds. Thank you for considering reef-pi, and let us know if you need any help or have any question.

When I first saw the thread, i mistaken your username (lmm1967) as some kinda IC (lm2596) and thought this is a feature as thread :), LOL.
Happy holidays

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I solder like a 6 year old - but I do have reef-pi up and running with temp control.
DE857E95-E9B4-40B7-BA37-24E1DF973A91.jpeg

Currently running on a Pi4 - cause I had it and the zero's are not playing nice with headless install - need that goofy HDMI adapter so I can get the OS installed - then this will be moved over to the zero w.

Question though - is there a specific reason why the build tutorials use that stereo jack for the temp sensors? Rather than risk me forgetting about not being able to connect. disconnect temp sensors I'm thinking of going with a 3 prong connector.

And - I'm going to assume I'm fine extending the wires of the temp sensors without too much trouble?

Next up - get this mess in the project box.

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally took the time to get through the silly headless install on the Pi Zero W - did you know you have to actually spell a filename 100% correct in order to get the system to do what you want? o_O

So - I've got a Pi Zero W doing it's best to monitor & control the air temp in my office.

Spent yesterday plumbing in a larger sump and getting frag tank about half way set up - have to finish the plumbing and get the water flowing through that and then I'll jump back to hiding my horrible soldering in a little black box for nobody but me to see.

I also took delivery of waterproof / resistance connectors typically used in automotive applications - but it looks like they are going to be perfect for things like temp probes.

I need to get PH up and going as well - @Ranjib @Michael Lane @crusso1993 - I see some of the hats floating around have PH built in and then I see standalone / isolated PH options - opinion on best way to go with PH ?

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally took the time to get through the silly headless install on the Pi Zero W - did you know you have to actually spell a filename 100% correct in order to get the system to do what you want? o_O

So - I've got a Pi Zero W doing it's best to monitor & control the air temp in my office.

Spent yesterday plumbing in a larger sump and getting frag tank about half way set up - have to finish the plumbing and get the water flowing through that and then I'll jump back to hiding my horrible soldering in a little black box for nobody but me to see.

I also took delivery of waterproof / resistance connectors typically used in automotive applications - but it looks like they are going to be perfect for things like temp probes.

I need to get PH up and going as well - @Ranjib @Michael Lane @crusso1993 - I see some of the hats floating around have PH built in and then I see standalone / isolated PH options - opinion on best way to go with PH ?
Depends on what all you have planned in the build. Each hat has some different options. Best I can say is to research after deciding which features fit you best.

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what all you have planned in the build. Each hat has some different options. Best I can say is to research after deciding which features fit you best.

In my specific scenario - it really doesn't matter what else I have planned for a build - these devices, hats etc are so cheap compared to everything else I've spent I really don't care if I have to buy 2 of every hat out there and run 15 instances of reef-pi - I'm looking for reliability, accuracy and dependability.

So - with regards to PH and only PH - built in to a HAT, dedicated PI with just PH, PH on a Pi doing other stuff too (temp monitoring / control, power control for pumps/skimmer for maintenance & feed mode)?

I'm not familiar enough with hardware and circuit isolation needs which is specifically why I'm asking.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As @Bigtrout mentioned it differs from folks to folks depending upon their preferences and skill set. I prefer the separate ph board because I can use it independently if need be, and makes troubleshooting very easy since I can test it independently (when needed). I do a lot of tinkering , some of my builds are in perpetual experimentation, and having the ph circuit as isolated things plays well in those scenarios

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back