Lobo question

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Have had this LOBO for about 5 months now and when I first got it, it was more of an orange color now it has changed to more pink in color still looks cool however have notice one of the polyps if thats what you call it more white and spikey than anything the other 2 are more puffed up is it dying or just unhappy?

Alk 8.1
Cal 450
Mag 1360
Sal 1.026
Ph 8.33
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0.003 and this isnt a typo did my reading 3 times and got 0, 0.001 and 0.006 using phosphorus tester. 20210615_161527.jpg

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Have had this LOBO for about 5 months now and when I first got it, it was more of an orange color now it has changed to more pink in color still looks cool however have notice one of the polyps if thats what you call it more white and spikey than anything the other 2 are more puffed up is it dying or just unhappy?

Alk 8.1
Cal 450
Mag 1360
Sal 1.026
Ph 8.33
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0.003 and this isnt a typo did my reading 3 times and got 0, 0.001 and 0.006 using phosphorus tester. 20210615_161527.jpg
Hi, my lps definitely do look upset with long periods on near 0 po4 not to mention the possibility of Dino’s which I got at those levels. Have you tried direct feeding? Some reefers can sustain those low levels of phosphate but generally they have a massive import and export. I would shoot for 0.05 as a minimum.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates have always been at 0.05 - 0.1 its the first time ever its been that low.. even using natural sea water my phosphate levels in that are 0.055

Just done another test and this was about 2 hours after feeding reef roid and it was reading 0.035 I have also stopped using rowaphos today too to help increase them.. I will give it a week to rise and maybe start it back up.. but will try test every couple days.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates have always been at 0.05 - 0.1 its the first time ever its been that low.. even using natural sea water my phosphate levels in that are 0.055

Just done another test and this was about 2 hours after feeding reef roid and it was reading 0.035 I have also stopped using rowaphos today too to help increase them.. I will give it a week to rise and maybe start it back up.. but will try test every couple days.
Removing gfo will make a world of difference. You may just need to run a bit less.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Alk 8.1
Cal 450
Mag 1360
Sal 1.026
Ph 8.33
Nitrate 10

I would move it away from the other one, they don't all get on.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How'd your lobo go? Did it come good?

Had mine crack the sh*ts after around 4 months. Started to receed and show skeleton. Then I think maybe the fish got at it as well. In the end the large section of it went and the small section stuck around for a short bit before suffering the same fate so I took it out.

My levels were somewhere similar to yours Nitrates maybe 15-20, Phosphate was a bit higher around 0.1 or something for memory and pH probably closer to 7.8 but otherwise the rest was spot on.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah more or less the same, nitrhav3 come down between 5-10 and phosphates are back aroud 0.02- 0.04. But do see some dark matter on the outside around the top so not sure what that is.
20210709_120430.jpg

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks to be in similar shape as mine was before it started to finally let go as the skeleton starts showing through on the edges and starts to look like it's receeding on the edges etc.
Hopefully you're able to save it.

Had my lobo do this, my trachy did the same and receeded into non existence and then another coral did the same. (All fleshy types).
The whole time my levels were around the same and was trying to work out what was going on to no avail.

Keeping a close eye on my Scoly too, it seems to shrink up a bit sometimes and then other times looks really fluffy and lush so will continue to target feed that one.

ajxackt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed my lobo really likes the phosphate and doesn't expand the way it usually does if the phosphate is too low.
I'm currently fighting low phos in my nano right now because of a gha outbreak (gotta love the ugly stages) and my lobo and xenia are the only unhappy coral. Trying to nip the gha in the butt to get the phos back up to my lobo's happy levels. Its lost some color and tone since the gha showed up, but its also trying to eat the gha so....

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back