lobo tissue receding...

Mussin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my big lobo is taking a turn for the worse... The tissue has been receding ever since last November when my Candy hog fish started sleeping inside the lobes at night. By the Time I caught the fish he did some good damage to the tissue around the lobes. My brain has noticeably gotten smaller over the past 3 months. I hope it pulls through...

Just wondering if I should leave it be or dip it?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give it a 10 min. Iodine dip. Whats your alk. level? My LPS corals shrink-up when it drops to 7.or below. I try to keep my alk at9 to 10. I bet you have a lot of anthropoids living in its skeleton, they like to munch on stressed corals. Watch how many come out in your iodine dip.

OP
OP
Mussin

Mussin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is at 8. It's a bit more shriveled than normal because I was trying to blow the sand off of the exposed skeleton.

miamijaaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been happening to mine too. I bought it from liveaquaria and it didn't really look too healthy when it arrived. I dipped it in CoralRX when it first when in, and while it seems to have slowed the tissue recession, it's still receding. I'm also debating whether to give it another dip or let it be. My alk is 10.5.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one like the green one in the fore ground. It used to blow up, now it stays small, don't know why parameters are good and other corals are fine. Still alive, had it for a long time. No tissue recession just not puffing up.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is at 8. It's a bit more shriveled than normal because I was trying to blow the sand off of the exposed skeleton.
In your close-up pic. it looks like its starting to heel up with new flesh?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one like the green one in the fore ground. It used to blow up, now it stays small, don't know why parameters are good and other corals are fine. Still alive, had it for a long time. No tissue recession just not puffing up.
Are you feeding it? I feed mine 1/4in piece of raw shrimp every three days or so,sometimes once a week.

OP
OP
Mussin

Mussin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed it but it's hard because my tangs steal food, lol. I need to find something to cover it up but it's huge..

Purple Platapus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe put it under some shade and try to feed it? I have brought lps (no lobos, dont have any) back from barely any flesh to their former glory by giving it less light and feeding it. I think it's worth a shot

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on dipping, followed by target feeding after that. Your tank looks pretty clean. Do you dose any trace elements with a product such as Fuel? If your fish keep stealing the food, you may want to cut a gallon milk jug in half to place over the lobo while feeding. :)

Good luck! I'm sure with a little extra care, it will pull right through.

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mussin

Mussin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not good every day more and more of it dies..... Not sure what to do. It's almost half dead, almost the whole Back side is gone. Should I take it to someone and have them cut the dead part off with a frag saw? This sucks don't think he's gonna recover.

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's old but I wonder what was the outcome? The links above don't seem to work anymore, does anyone know what the advised to save a receding lobo?

Gator_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's old but I wonder what was the outcome? The links above don't seem to work anymore, does anyone know what the advised to save a receding lobo?

I have the same question. Googled the keywords and this might be it....

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back