OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that they are most likely both some type of amphipod. They may in fact be two separate species considering one of them is at least somewhat motile while the other appears to stay relatively stationary. To the best of my knowledge, the vast majority of amphipods are not harmful and likely have just moved into those existing holes near the base of the coral. I would be surprised if they are in contact with the actual flesh of the coral at all considering the location of the holes. The more motile ones are likely feeding primarily on copepods. While the less motile is just grabbing whatever floats by copepods detritus algae etc...
You say you doubt the little critters be actually in contact with flesh of coral? Where top of hole is with critter that cant yet see in biggest hole is like 1 cm under flesh of coral when looking from outside so if you right in saying this,in theory i could get a bandsaw or possible dremel or a sharp hand saw and cut off the skeloton above where i see the hole,? Then epoxy/glue it back onto rocks.
This could work aslong as it isnt a critter that burrows through the skeloton and there is none anywhere else in tank.
Just a thought

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You say you doubt the little critters be actually in contact with flesh of coral? Where top of hole is with critter that cant yet see in biggest hole is like 1 cm under flesh of coral when looking from outside so if you right in saying this,in theory i could get a bandsaw or possible dremel or a sharp hand saw and cut off the skeloton above where i see the hole,? Then epoxy/glue it back onto rocks.
This could work aslong as it isnt a critter that burrows through the skeloton and there is none anywhere else in tank.
Just a thought
You would want to dip the lobo after you saw off above the large hole. And even look to see if you see anything there. I am searching for a thread about a guy fragging an acan, I think it was... To save his coral. What he found was rather scary. I never find what I want when I need to.

Edit: Also, don't panic yet. the only thing that bugged me was the bugs with glowing bellies. And the lobo is sending out those stomach parts because it is irritated. May not like the corals. Full tank shot by chance?

I am grooming through the last video you posted last night for me. One bug has me worried. It reminds me of camel spiders. That's all I have to go off of. I never seen these before. I'll post the pics soon, from your video.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would want to dip the lobo after you saw off above the large hole. And even look to see if you see anything there. I am searching for a thread about a guy fragging an acan, I think it was... To save his coral. What he found was rather scary. I never find what I want when I need to.

Edit: Also, don't panic yet. the only thing that bugged me was the bugs with glowing bellies. And the lobo is sending out those stomach parts because it is irritated. May not like the corals. Full tank shot by chance?
Yeah sure will do now.
So in that other thread i posted above,one the replys says them filaments can be from stress,feeding response or stinging nearby corals? This not quite right and only does it because stressed?
I only noticed it just after feeding fresh oysters and never noticed before,and as you know it just been moved so could be stressed from that.
And yeah when asked you last night about that critter inside a coral,thats the one i wanted you to share to see if had any tentacles.and yeah sods law cant fibd something when want to ha ha.
But that critter in that coral was a big fat ugly thing right ^_^

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok @Mibu @vetteguy53081 one videos finished uploading on youtube and managed to get video of one these what i think is a kind of pod but if it is i dont know what kind but my knowledge isnt great and there 1000's of pods in the sea right ha ha
But looks unusual with what looks like big bright white eyes or white body parts and not sure if this video or next one im waiting on shows one in the right hole alot smaller than one that comes briefly out the hole for a second.
Knowing my luck the one that not moving be a queen and cant move and just makes babies all day long and the babies are very bad boys ha ha

Here is the screen captures I took, sadly the details are not in the pictures like the video.
unknown bug.jpg
unknown bugo2.jpg
unknowbug03.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah sure will do now.
So in that other thread i posted above,one the replys says them filaments can be from stress,feeding response or stinging nearby corals? This not quite right and only does it because stressed?
I only noticed it just after feeding fresh oysters and never noticed before,and as you know it just been moved so could be stressed from that.
And yeah when asked you last night about that critter inside a coral,thats the one i wanted you to share to see if had any tentacles.and yeah sods law cant fibd something when want to ha ha.
But that critter in that coral was a big fat ugly thing right ^_^
They can throw those out when hungry, but in this case, I am assuming it's stress - acclimation. They will do this while settling in. No issue. Nothing to panic about. If it doesn't show feeding tentacles, I would worry. You will have to drop food on the lobos mouth to trigger a feeding response. If it refuses to eat, time to cut open the skeleton.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is fts slowly getting closer and closer and closer and been just over a hour since filaments was seen and cannot be seen now

Attachments

• 20210901_135607.jpg
    20210901_135607.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210901_135614.jpg
    20210901_135614.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210901_135620.jpg
    20210901_135620.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210901_135626.jpg
    20210901_135626.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210901_135640.jpg
    20210901_135640.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 29

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would leave the lobo alone for now and let it settle in.

And feed it 2 to 3 times a week. Hungry animals!

Edit: I forgot you got some glue on it. So, there is that to contribute to the lobos behavior.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ummm rears up like a spider and them 2 smaller looking things last night ran like a spider ummm
It could be a type of shrimp. The extra long feelers just reminds me of a shrimp. I doubt those are anything like mysis.

Edit: honestly, I don't think they are harmful. The parts that stand out, look like markings of the animal.

Instead of eating the coral, they are out actively hunting for food. If they were going to be a pest, you wouldn't find them until the coral was dying or dead.

I am very curious to what they are, I just can't find any information. I think they are safe.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up until i moved it,i was feeding it 2- 3 times a week after lights went out and feeding tentacles came out every night no problem.
Ovbiously last night no feeding tentacles as shining a torch for 4 hours straight nearly and yeah wont panic as what is is juat that

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Up until i moved it,i was feeding it 2- 3 times a week after lights went out and feeding tentacles came out every night no problem.
Ovbiously last night no feeding tentacles as shining a torch for 4 hours straight nearly and yeah wont panic as what is is juat that
I don't blame you. You can relax now, how long have you had the lobo?

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gall crab?
Ummm i did look description of a gall crab and in cavities in stony corals and thought maybe but after looking image.it has no tentacles/feelers and not big long ones like this one so unsure but possibility

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ummm i did look description of a gall crab and in cavities in stony corals and thought maybe but after looking image.it has no tentacles/feelers and not big long ones like this one so unsure but possibility

There is that too. I wonder if those are something else, though?

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a gallon crab in my trachyphyllia I just used a VERY sharp and pointy tweezer to remove it. Came out very easily

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back