OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep eye on, and aren't you supposed to be on vacation?
Go holiday early hours monday,im on guard duty at moment ( with a little tiny terror ha ha) while her mum takes her mums dog to the vets.

2 more sleeps then vacation ha ha

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at who has a hat!

Attachments

• 20210903_091458.jpg
    20210903_091458.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at who has a hat!
Ha ha he is the referee or ball boy keeping ball safe until next football match ^_^

Ive been thinking put one of the clam shells on mine as i think will be nice fit for my tuxedo's
.i think ive got same colour tuxedo urchins as you which is navy blue but have you seen them halloween tuxedo urchins? They look spectacular indeed

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi sorry only just seen this.just watched last seconds of video you re-posted above and cant really see nothing in that picture.
But what i remember of it is was biggest critter in that hole by far and in centre where you drew that 5th apendage,all i remember is mandibles.i will re-watch some of the earlier videos.
But what i know from nature ( which is limited lol) and observing it for hours each night last few nights is that predators or filter feeders wait at edge of holes like this.
In the big hole im unsure but the 2 holes to the right where one of the spider looking/acting critter finally came out of hole ( ones with the 2 bright white markings) i think there either filter feeding with maybe adapted long antenna/tentacles or wgen occasionally they dart out hole for a mili second,maybe they grabbing small particles of food and that critter that came out rockwork had quite a few long antenna/tentacles just like the critter in the big hole and him in big hole seems to have white on head as it briefly showed its head in one of videos so think its same just larger ,coming to this conclusion as no harm seems to have come to the lobo as of yet so think they just calling inside the skeloton there home.
Been doing lots research on pods/ spider/pod looking critters as just curious person so would like to know ^_^ and one article on what reefers generally class pods as infact are not pods and name begins with a " p" and the sea spiders whether it be large ones in artcic seas or just few mm big,coral dips are off no use ( whether it mine some kind of sea spider idk and probably never will ,just adds to the diversity of my reef tank so all good until harm on any livestock starts happenning i guess

I think you are referring to the name of the superorder to which amphipods belong "Peracarida." This taxonomic classification is just above the class Amphipoda and includes Isopoda and Mysidacea as well. Better known to us as amphipods, isopods, and mysids.

@ 1:52-2:00 we have the big reveal. I do not believe it to be an amphipod at all. I will explain why. I have to over emphasize the creature.

If you watch the last 8 seconds of the video, it has some weird appendage. I do not know what it is. It moves out of the tunnel a little and adjusts. I have seen plenty of amphipods, and never seen one with a design like that. Unless you know of one. If there was just 4 antenna. i would say amphipod. But the middle appendage, doesn't make sense to me.

Doesn't make sense to be a gull crab either.
weird bug.jpg

And a picture of burrowed amphipods to compare.
amphipods.jpg

Edit: Shrimp also have a snout type thing. Which I don't know any shrimp that small.

One of the defining features of peracarida is the presence of mandibles additionally, one defining feature of amphipods is that their first set of limbs function as accessory head appendages which is likely what we are seeing in the video.

Below is an illustration of a gammarid and hyperiid type of amphipod. The illustration labeled "a" is the gammarid (not the species name) which is the form of amphipod we are going to be interested in for our purposes. Note the long antenae, mandibles, and grabbing legs in the front of the body, very similar (not exact) to what we are seeing in the video.

1630773529245.png

I have included a photograph of a specimen like our illustrated example above. I still very much believe the organisms to be some species of amphipod based on the available information.

1630774105060.png

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are referring to the name of the superorder to which amphipods belong "Peracarida." This taxonomic classification is just above the class Amphipoda and includes Isopoda and Mysidacea as well. Better known to us as amphipods, isopods, and mysids.

One of the defining features of peracarida is the presence of mandibles additionally, one defining feature of amphipods is that their first set of limbs function as accessory head appendages which is likely what we are seeing in the video.

Below is an illustration of a gammarid and hyperiid type of amphipod. The illustration labeled "a" is the gammarid (not the species name) which is the form of amphipod we are going to be interested in for our purposes. Note the long antenae, mandibles, and grabbing legs in the front of the body, very similar (not exact) to what we are seeing in the video.

1630773529245.png

I have included a photograph of a specimen like our illustrated example above. I still very much believe the organisms to be some species of amphipod based on the available information.

1630774105060.png
Them bugs that i said begin with a " p" i think,are in sea spider family i think it said.will try fimd article i read when i can and share it here,Im on holiday at moment since last few days but the days coming up before holiday i video lots hours on these critters and i think the critter in the main big hole ( that never comes out ) is one of the following in video as got mandibles and got 4 tentacles/feelers or whatever thwy called.here is 2 videos,first of one on rock other side of tank and second of biggest baddest ampripod? I ever have seen lol ( its huge for a pod lol) and near end of video you see it run from behind and grab another smaller pod,and off course ive got them spider looking/acting things with 2 big white spots that also just sit and waiting on prey ( i seen them run in and out to grab very small i prezume copepods. )

And @Kaboobie the picture looks same as i have and @Mibu look these

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At least, they are not eating the corals. But, amphipods can get huge and they are very mean. I have seen them get into boxing matches with each other.

There are species of amphipods that do eat coral, I don't believe those are the ones.

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some amphipods this past weekend when I tore my tank apart that were as long as the stems of frag plugs. Didn't even know I had them. :oops: Looked quite a bit like yours.

If mine are eating other amphipods like yours, it would explain the loss of most of a certain type of amphipod in my tank. I only have a 2.5 gallon pico so something that big makes a big impact. My concern is what they will chow down on after all the "food" is gone. So I got rid of every one of them I could find. :eek:

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some amphipods this past weekend when I tore my tank apart that were as long as the stems of frag plugs. Didn't even know I had them. :oops: Looked quite a bit like yours.

If mine are eating other amphipods like yours, it would explain the loss of most of a certain type of amphipod in my tank. I only have a 2.5 gallon pico so something that big makes a big impact. My concern is what they will chow down on after all the "food" is gone. So I got rid of every one of them I could find. :eek:
I only noticed these big buggers i got and the spider acting/looking things with big dangly legs as moved the lobo onto rocks and kept falling off so zoomed in to see if any damage and just seen holes holes holes in skeloton lol with lots critters just waiting at edge of holes and just part of glorious nature with the food chain of bigger usually eats smaller things unless smaller things got a trick up their sleeve like poison or nets or whatever they have adapted/evolved over tje millennium, i find it very interesting and intriguing indeed ^_^

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I find it very fascinating as well! :) And as I started my 2.5 with dry rock, brace yourself, I've been putting most of my frags in without dipping them! I wanted every crawly I could get. I loved watching stuff crawling all over the place until about 2 months ago. Even though I overfeed on a regular basis, those medium sized amphipods (I can no longer call them the big ones!!!) ate three zoa colonies and nearly killed my RFA!!! So I did a quick fresh water swish just to knock off as many as I could and spent the last month acclimating a molly to go in there and get them under control. But as I said, they started disappearing on their own and then I found the BIG ones. And I'm just not willing to risk them eating my corals too! ;Nailbiting;Rage

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I find it very fascinating as well! :) And as I started my 2.5 with dry rock, brace yourself, I've been putting most of my frags in without dipping them! I wanted every crawly I could get. I loved watching stuff crawling all over the place until about 2 months ago. Even though I overfeed on a regular basis, those medium sized amphipods (I can no longer call them the big ones!!!) ate three zoa colonies and nearly killed my RFA!!! So I did a quick fresh water swish just to knock off as many as I could and spent the last month acclimating a molly to go in there and get them under control. But as I said, they started disappearing on their own and then I found the BIG ones. And I'm just not willing to risk them eating my corals too! ;Nailbiting;Rage
Yeah its good having the bio diversity as much as we can get but if starts eating our corals then its not good,ive read many threads of people saying they seen amphipods eating their corals and then numerous others saying this isnt possible as pods only eat dying corals so yeah i believe it possible and as their thousands and thousands of pods we all probably got different kind pods anyways.

I use nt labs coral dips but maybe it just rubbish or the critters i have it doesnt have any effect on them as had spaghetti worms,spiribod worms and them worms that sound like spirobod worms and have them 2 tenctacle/feeler things that grab food plus numerous different pods plus lots more im probably forgetting,ive only ever seen 2 mini star fish things in the water after the 5 minute dip / swish/ swirling the coral so not very effective ,but guess any eggs,cysts or anything like that not affected anyway right

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back