Long hairy polyps

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of the new frags we got Boxing Day have very long hairy like polyps .
one having a name such as hairy f$&@#r
But. It sure if the polyps are normal

F8B99B9D-7D0B-4CF0-9950-48CCF9AA4E26.jpeg 0AE3CCDE-54B3-4DB8-9133-933F3C94CE2E.jpeg

Afaylenerich88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yes my friend they are just getting settled in. Once they really get used to water perms over the next few days to a week or so you should see even more extension and polyps themselves. This is normal extension for new acros with long sweeping feeder polyps. Some of those are highly sought after for acros can be a bit picky in my experience growing those types of acros broadcast feeding amino acids and direct feeding can improve overall health and color also try polyp labs, polyp extender. Works great for picky acros. Makes them pop right up to say hello and get some food. View photo below here is a pic of almost max extension on my Walt Disney mother colony.
s-l400-2.jpg

Afaylenerich88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of a frag I took off about 2 weeks ago, here you can see full extension of polyps. Mind you this is from the same coral . As the pic above. New fags always need a few weeks to recover.

s-l400-1.jpg

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yes my friend they are just getting settled in. Once they really get used to water perms over the next few days to a week or so you should see even more extension and polyps themselves. This is normal extension for new acros with long sweeping feeder polyps. Some of those are highly sought after for acros can be a bit picky in my experience growing those types of acros broadcast feeding amino acids and direct feeding can improve overall health and color also try polyp labs, polyp extender. Works great for picky acros. Makes them pop right up to say hello and get some food. View photo below here is a pic of almost max extension on my Walt Disney mother colony.
s-l400-2.jpg
When you mention feeding amino acids and poly lab .
I have reef roids but looking for other foods for acros

what is the better and will not raise nutrients too much ?

I have been using zoo plankton ,
Reef snow ,
I haven’t used reef roids in awhile but have been thinking of some sort of acro food

Afaylenerich88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for direct feeding or broadcast feeding I use (CORAL MAX), *just my preference* twice a week, i also combine that with the supernate you get from the top of thawing brine shrimp and frozen foods for my fish,
i use this mixture as sparingly as possible as with coral food less is more , they wont consume it all so it will be in the tank for a bit before being pulled out buy filtration, so i think your choice of coral food is fine and will work out well. with adequate filtration. zoo plankton is fine i also use from time to time, mixed with Phyto plankton, but this is just another source of food, so remember how much food your trying to mix and try not to make a soup of super food that will just nuke your tank.

amino acids are also a great benefit for your reef tank, and is basically your daily food for your corals.
for this i would recommend acro power, brightwell aquatics amino, polyp lab coral amino, there are others but none of them i can vouch for as having any positive change in my reef tanks or frag system.

the acros you posted acropora millepora *HAIRY* ones esp love the SUPERNATE you get from thawing frozen foods, sometimes i feed them just that and skip the coral max. they really seem to enjoy it.

if your going to start feeding coral food directly just make sure you are not over feeding this will spike your tank so fast. as with anything in reefing take it slow let the tank adjust to the new bio load and continue till you are at the level you and most importantly your fish and coral are happy.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at easyreefs easy sps and booster. There is a thread on the forums on it. Will not increase nutrients and polyp extension is amazing. I personally will never use reef roids again due to the phosphates

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at easyreefs easy sps and booster. There is a thread on the forums on it. Will not increase nutrients and polyp extension is amazing. I personally will never use reef roids again due to the phosphates
Does each package come with the fittings needed to run straight into a dosing pump or is that extra ?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While polyp extension can mean healthy corals, it's not a sure sign either.

My acros color up, and grow, yet I have 0 PE except at night. I have a flame back angel that gives "swim by" nippings so my corals tend to leave their polyps retracted except at night when my angel is sleeping.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post wasn’t about what to feed or how to achieve PE
I bought a few frags which seams a lottle
Different . As the pictures above a few of the frags have long white string like polyps
Almost looking like long hair .
Is it normal , are they showing signs of stress
Are the happy ?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post wasn’t about what to feed or how to achieve PE
I bought a few frags which seams a lottle
Different . As the pictures above a few of the frags have long white string like polyps
Almost looking like long hair .
Is it normal , are they showing signs of stress
Are the happy ?
Filaments can be a sign of stress or feeding. When I add frags they will show them for a day and then settle in. See how they do once settled in

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much PE can be a sign of bad respiration, like too much ammonia/ammonium (a small amount is good) in the water, or some other pollutant. Messenterial filaments can also be a bad sign... they have only meant bad things to me, but some people say that they have seen them for positive things - the are widely an unknown for most.

However, those look fine. Polyps on a few types of acropora have a normal looking polyp, but then also a single hair from them. Tyree Pinky the Bear is an example that comes to memory.

I would only worry about PE if a normally hair acro is no longer, or a normally non-hairy acro is now looking like it is wanting to push it's polyps out of it's skeleton.

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 9.09.09 AM.png

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more pictures ...
From 5 mins ago

Attachments

• C21871A0-A74D-4A12-8667-DF9FC5A903AD.jpeg
    C21871A0-A74D-4A12-8667-DF9FC5A903AD.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 7EA7A958-8287-48A2-A361-0EDF77FEFDB0.jpeg
    7EA7A958-8287-48A2-A361-0EDF77FEFDB0.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 59
  • C0342CC5-CF4C-4CBF-AEE4-B31CF75B0B6C.jpeg
    C0342CC5-CF4C-4CBF-AEE4-B31CF75B0B6C.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 50

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back